• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

6.28.05 White Bear lake report... and HELP?

Today.. (Tuesday June 28.. calm... cloudy...78 water temp) a buddy and I were fortunate enough to spend a good long day on WBL That alone was worth it... BUT... our success was so limited... we were out from 1-9pm and only caught perhaps 6 or 7 fish.. and all very small.. Really dissapointing.. It was WW3... we used our entire arsenal.

We targeted bass and pike. We fished all the way from docks out to 25 feet of water. We used many colors and combinations of wacky worms, creatures, tubes, x-raps, glass minnow, buzzbaits, rattling raps, DT and floating raps, Rat-L-traps.. and a number of colors of spinnberbaits (with and without trailers)... and a few others odd lures. You name it. We had the time.. frown.gif

We focused on the areas that I "think" are hot... the north side of the island and the areas straight south of the island to the shore.

Was it just the "day" or do we need major WBL help? So many areas of this lake seem so dull and homogenous.. nothing really stands out.. although there was that shallow bar directly south of the island.. but we explored it thoroughly and didn't find much. I also tried a few of those 'humps' off the islands north side... nabbed a couple of tiny bass.

I wonder.. now that it's almost July.. do anglers need to move OUT or IN for bass? How about pike? What lures and presentations are working? What areas are best for bass? What areas are best for pike? Are the fish concentrated anywhere on this lake or are they evenly distributed so it is just a numbers game? I don't know if seeing depths of 6ft or 15ft or 25ft is best at this time of year.

Thanks for the help anyone!

In case you want to email me direct...[email protected]

8 hours in two areas? wow, you guys are persistant.......I have always had pretty good luck on the east side of the point, I can't remember the name of that big point on the north side of the lake east of the island. there is a huge weed bed over there and I have always caught bass and northerns in that area. of course the under water point straight out from the landing is always worth trying too. White bear is a tough lake to fish. I would have gone to Bald Eagle, or at least pulled out and moved after the first 4 frustrating hours. White Bear can be tough, and that is why we moved on to other waters.

fishing is pretty tough right now with all the recent storms. right now the way i would fish is in deeper water with a small slow presentation.

Yes we were persistent. But those two areas cover hundreds of acres and we were moving the whole time.

Do you feel WBL is a 'tough lake' now? Or all the time? Maybe I should switch lakes... I fish WBL almost exlusively currently.. thinking if I get to know it.. I will have great success.

I am thinking of Big Marine?... demontreville?...Bald Eagle? Forest? hmm.. what else is in the area.. I tried Bald Eagle around 5 times.. but never had a lot of luck there..

What WBL area lakes are overall better? (I know no one likes to advertise 'their' lakes... emails welcome... I don't add much pressure.. weekday angler only.. C&R)

(Contact US Regarding This Word) if you want pike and action with pike, head to Otter Lake off 35e n otter lake road or Silver Lake in NSP or even Forest Lake. For bass Demontriville is a good one and WBL is a good one also.

You aren't going to have 100 bass days on WBL but you will catch your share if you learn it. The secret I have found is dont do what other people do out there. There are a ton of boats out there and the pressure is heavy. Go to spots that aren't the normal spots and those spots usually dont have as many people on them either. Which means the fish will head to those spots gettin away from the pressure. I live 2 blocks from WBL and used to get out alot, right now I dont have any fishing partners to head out there with. I do have a few areas though that I could always pull a few out of and a couple of them would be monsters.

Some help I can give ya for spots is to find the smaller bays where the boats dont frequent and fish shallow, sometimes very shallow. The weedbed infront of the Ramsey County Beach sometimes is a great spot, I know lots of people around but the fisherman dont actually fish that spot often because of the commotion on shore. The rockpiles and the point previously mention on the eastern part of the lake has some fish but it gets hit hard. The southern side has alot of good docks to fish also.

The best bass fishing I've ever had on WBL is when I hit "traditional" walleye spots with walleye type rigs. When I fish for bass I get pike.

Should I cough up my best Crappie and Walleye spot that has produced well everytime out on WBL?

(Contact US Regarding This Word) shoot me an e-mail.