• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mille lacs Muskies

mudking01

Is there any reports on the musky fishing? Any fish showing up on the sand on the north side yet?

I was hopeing to make it to the north end this weekend try the shallows in da morning but other wis eno luck for me any one else have any luck?

We were out yesterday, but the wind made it plenty difficult! We fish out of a 16 footer and the wind and waves bounced us around pretty good...that and we could'nt seem to stay put, even with 2 anchors down.

We fished as many pertected areas as we could and we pitched from about noon to around 8:30 last night.

I'm new at this and although my shoulders and the rest of me is fine, I could hardly double my fists this morning!

Our tally for the day...twelve Northerns and one nice Walleye that ate up on a 7 " Suick. The largest pike was 5-6 pounds and the waldo went 21 inches.

No Muskies, no follow ups, nada! Did'nt even see one surface, which is unusual, as we always see at least one or two when we are fishing Walleyes.

Me and my wife went out with Tim Edinger, a Fishing Guide that works with Walleye Dan. We hit the lake 7:30 am Friday & fished walleye for the 1st 4 hours. We boated 6 legals. They weren't jumping in the boat but they came steady and Tim showed us some tricks for Mille Lacs.

Then the next 4 + hours we learned how to fish Muskies for the 1st time. We threw BIG bucktails & assorted lures along the north end. We had one smaller one follow about 15 feet out. Then after about 2 hours a real COW had followed my lure and I didn't see it until I had pulled my lure out of the water and was getting ready to throw it back out again! My wife was in the front of the boat and leaning over she saw the entire length of the thing and she said it was over 8 " wide at the head she could've reached down and touched it! Tim guessed about 44" long. I saw just the back half of it as it loafed its way away out of sight what an adrenaline rush that gave us all.Tim kept telling us all afternoon not to let our guard down do the figure 8 at the boat. Those bad boys are not afraid of anything and if they get mad enough will it hit right at the boat!

We sure had a great experience for our 1st trip to Mille Lacs. Thanks again Tim & walleye Dan for setting it up for us. We definately will be back for more. That brush with a legal Muskie has got us hooked.

Now you are in trouble. It will get worse from here on out, before you know it you will be buying baits by the armloads, and looking for any reason at all to get on the water and chase a fish that will drive you completely bonkers mad.

One 36" ski boated this weekend. Very slow with not many fish moving. Never even had a follow. The fish I did catch was caught off a deep weedline.

Try again next weekend.

I just returned from Mille lacs muskie fishing and here is the report: Tuesday evening I got on the water about 4:30 and caught my first fish at 5:00 it was my personal best at 51 inches an absolute cow, I proceded to boat three more fish that evening 40, 41, 45. Wednesday morning I was on the water at 4:45 caught my first fish at 5:55 it was 46 inch, caught my second fish at 9:00 am it was 49 inch and caught my third fish at 7:30 pm it was 45 inch- I was on the water for 14 hours that day. I did not see many fish but fortunatly the fish I saw were eating. It was a fantastic two days of muskie fishing then came Thursday. I was on the water at 5:00 am and fished untill 7:30 pm without any fish- I saw two fish swimming not chasing anything. The action bascially shut off, thank goodness that I was there the two previous days. Good luck to all.

That sounds like the Mille Lacs I know. From hot to cold in an instant! Glad to hear you had some success though. Congrats on all the nice fish! Any theories on what triggered the activity?

Aaron

Mud,

Outstanding couple of days! Nicely done! Care to disclose your hot baits? Also, general area? N,S,E,W? If you want to keep your lips sealed, I understand.

Also, congrats on putting some SERIOUS time on the water. That's hardcore,slinging muskie baits. tongue.gif

rascal

Rascal- Location- pretty much all over the fish were very scattered: North weeds, 3mile rocks, south side rocks and eastside weeds- bait was glide baits mainly bright colors- one fish on topwater very cool. Good luck

What, you did'nt fish the mudflats? grin.gif Sounds like you covered it all. What else would you do in some 30+ hrs of fishin time. Nice going and thanks for the info. Hope to make it up in the next couple a weeks.

rascal