• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bass Minnetonka

Hi,

Could someone give me some areas to look for bass this time of year? Are they still shallow or deep? I have had a hard time in the past finding bigger fish.

Right now is really tough. I was out yesterday and we had to cover a TON of water to only find a few fish.

They will be deep soon. The few we did find were on the weed edge, but scattered. One here, one there.

We pretty much fished the whole lake. We were out there for 10 hours.

If you just picked a smaller bay or certain area and dedicated your time, you should find fish that are biting. You really have to pick it apart. Just keep in mind that that lake has fish everywhere. Don't think that there are no fish in your area just because you aren't catching them.

Here's a game plan for you. Get out early in the AM and fish topwaters and spinnerbaits in Smiths Bay over the milfoil and along the shallow weed edge. About 10 or so move out the deep weededges - usually 15ft - and switch to worms/grubs or slow roll a spinnerbait. Then go hit the docks. I threw rattletraps (they skip well with a spinning rod) and my partner stuck with worms. Usually hit the south shore. Another early AM plan is to throw spinnerbaits over milfoil inside the bouys in Excelsior Bay up to the docks around the entrance to St Albans and the deep weed edges on the Excelsior commons shoreline. If that doesn't get you anywhere the bass are just not biting. I did this for about three years and always got a couple of pigs in one of those areas. My green carp days are behind me now.

i agree with markkstanley i have been fishing those docks this past weeek after work and get about 10 a night with a pig n jig i have found out that the bass are on the outside weedlines now and looking for something to eat so i believe during the mid day hours a slower presentation around the outside weedlines would be best like a plastic worm with no weight or any plastic with no weight and then either in the early morning or at night i would use a faster presentaion in the same spots because the fish heat up during the night

Thanks for the all the help. This gives me a place to start as I have never fished a lake with heavy milfoil. I have heard people talk about fishing pockets in the milfoil but I have not had the experience of doing it. Is there any colors of worms that work better then others?

Black, blue and purples. If you manage to get a little chartreuse mixed in that's better. Sometimes white is a killer too. Never had much luck with the pumpkinseed type colors.

Anybody fish Excelsior Bay anymore?!?

I remember a few years back it was a great spot for largemouth bass.

Went there this evening, caught a couple bass and a small hammer handle northern.