• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hows the bassin been on Sylvia Twin?

Headed there Thursday.

Any thoughts/experiences to share in the last couple days?

Went out last night and had one heck of a night fishing.

Several nice pike with 4 over 20 inches and a dozen+ bass.

No real nice bass, but fun nonetheless.

Also found a gaggle of big sunnies. The partner actually caught a sunfish on a scum frog and the fish had both hooks in its mouth. That aint no small sunfish.

Pike were shallow and deep. I got 2 nicer ones on a buzzbait up shallow, but most came on the deep weedline in 14 to 18 ft with a jig/minnow.

The bass were combo'd on spinnerbaits and T rigged tubes. Most were along that same deep weed edge where we were getting the pike.

Not sure what my problem was last night, but I busted my line 3 times and thats using 30 lb Power Pro. I guess I should retie a little more often. What a dope for that.

Lots of other bites and several fish that we had hooked that we lost on the way to the boat.

EXCELLENT evening fishing.

What size spinnerbait were you using and what speed/depth were you retrieving it at, in the 14 ft of water?

I've been having trouble with spinnerbaits out deep and I am wondering what the stikezone was, how far they would come up to hit a Spinbait

3/8oz white with tandem willow leaf.

I worked those up shallower. Not over that deep edge.

Quote:

Not sure what my problem was last night, but I busted my line 3 times and thats using 30 lb Power Pro.

I don't know what it is with PP, but I have way too many break offs with the stuff. mad.gif I went back to fireline and have yet to get broken off.

Regardless, nice night of fishing BLB!

Geez...I just recently started pitching for Muskies and 50 pound test Power Pro is what I decided on after asking afew questions in the Muskie thread and reading up on what others had to say about the various lines.

I was wondering about the life expectancy of the PP line, especially after afew backlashes, asked if anyone knew anything about it and did'nt get any responses.

I'm not tossing the huge plugs, so maybe it will be okay? Is the line actually breaking, or is it comming untied?

I'd hate to tie into a big old goodun and have the line break, but 80# test seemed like a little overkill for the fishing I do?

Grebe

Just because I busted 30lb PowerPro a few times last night doesnt mean you should question your choice.

I have completely neglected to retie my rods this year.

It was funny because just yesterday morning I was telling some friends about the fact I hadn't lost any lures this year yet.

What happens? Last night I jinxed myself or something.

I was completely at fault. I do like PowerPro a lot.

That darn Fireline gets so frayed and crappy looking after very little use. Granted its still tough as nails.

sylvia is my diamond in the ruff. I told a freind to try it last week, he fished from 6 am till 10 and caught 2 pound bass the whole time, nothing big, but I would say a great outing. I have also done good on top water buzz baits.

I use PP on my spinning reels, I dont seem to have many problems with it. Pp flattens out when using it on bait casters with cause crazy backlashes. I use Berkly Super braid for the baitcasters, it works alot better and worth the money. Also try tying a Polamar Knot when using braid that way the knot wont slip, the Trilene knot split with braid.

Quote:

sylvia is my diamond in the ruff. I told a freind to try it last week, he fished from 6 am till 10 and caught 2 pound bass the whole time, nothing big, but I would say a great outing. I have also done good on top water buzz baits.

REALLY?!? I was out the probably at the wrong time, during the post spawn blues!

I was out there Fri - Tuesday and had a GREAT time! Granted you had to fish early or late to avoid the pleasure boaters and PWC's but still managed to bring in several bass (a couple in the 17" - 19" range) on jig/leech combo and a few real nice pike. Amazing how many nice sunnies there are out there, kids caught some real nice ones that all went back in the lake.

Hey Knops,

I would totally agree with the "diamond in the rough" classification.

cyberamish

definitely some nice sunnies in that lake. It's by far my favorite lake for sunnies. Thousands of fish, with many many big'uns in there.

I was out the 4th weekend. Lots of small bass on live bait and YUM dingers. My father hooked a nice one, but lost it not having much experience into bigger fish. Fun time though, lots of BIG sunfish. No pike though, few big crappies. I've fished that lake once a year for many years and only seen two pike...

• 3 weeks later...

any recent Sylvia action. Going out tommarow and would like some info if any avail. Thanks in advance.