• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I just got news from Taren at Daisy Bay Resort that one of their guests caught a 34.5 inch walleye off of one of their docks this weekend! ooo.gif

That is a real monster for Vermilion!

Cliff

Just curious, do you know if they released that monster? I dont think I could blame someone for mounting a fish that big but I was just wondering.

The fish was photographed,measured and released.

It probably was bigger then reported, as they did not pinch the tail together when they measured the fish. shocked.gif

Cliff

Thats good to hear. That is definitely the biggest I have heard out of Vermilion.

The fish was not weighed.

Check out the Daisy Bay Resort web site for pictures.

Cliff

saw the website, nice 27" fish. Is that guy HUGE or is that fish no where near 34".

Am I wrong here?

thats a huge walleye. if you look at the girth on the tail and even the span of his hand, you can tell it is a huge fish.

Nice fish, strange place to take a picture of a fish to be released, looks like a fish cleaning house?

I'm sure the fish was just taken in to the fish house to be measured. Probably the easiest place to do it when dock fishing, maybe not best for the fish though.

Ok guys, here it is right from the horses mouth. The man in the pictures(much to my surprise when I saw the picture) is Rick Olsen. He lives just 5 doors down, so I just ran down and got the scoop. Apparently Rick and his cabin mates decided to end their day with one last cigarette on the dock at around 12:30 am. Rick took this as an opportunity to throw his slip bobber out with a leech on the end. It took less than a minute for the boober to go under, and the fight was on. They netted the fish and with no ruler or scale handy, they rushed over to the fish shack and layed it out on the table and took a couple pictures. The fish was about 1/8" longer than the table when butted up against the wall. Rick then promptly released his trophy. They then measured the table, which taped out at 34 3/8 inches. I know Rick fairly well and will vouch for his status as a stand-up guy. In fact, the reason they didn't weigh the fish in the cleaning shack is because the only scale available was one with a large hook on it and he didn't want to risk injuring the fish and lower it's survival chances. That truly is the catch of a lifetime. Kudos and Congratulations!!! wink.gif

i would have kept it and weighed it....and then have it mounted...had to be eating good ...so may have weighed a pretty good number...a fish that size probably doesnt reproduce much anyhow....but what a nice fish....good going

A real beauty of a fish for sure...too bad the picture is a little bit of a cocked angle back towards him on the tail end...doesn't do the fish justice if it is truly that length..which I don't doubt

I dont know, maybe the fact that the picture isnt taken at a direcy 90 degree angle to the fish makes that much of a difference. I was just looking at the fact that his hand takes up nearly 1/4 of the fish, unless his hand is extremely big.

30" much less 34" fish are SO rare that I kind of wish there was more than one picture of such a giant. That would typically be 13-14lbs.

Oh well, no biggie, nice fish and story either way.

How he held his hands does not due the fish justice either unfortunately. It's definately a large fish however. I can't believe anyone would want to keep the fish and eat it when you can have a replica made. That's an old rare fish that someone else could catch down the road. Not sure of that old of a fish still reproduces. Anyone have any idea how many large fish are taken from Vermillion in a year? Just curious? Was there a time when more of these fish were more common?

NICE STORY! FISH OF A LIFETIME! GREAT JOB!