• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MILLE LACS FLATS ARE HOT

bad weather fisherman

WE WERE OUT LAST NIGHT ON THE WESTSIDE AND HAD THE BEST FISHING BY FARR FOR THE YEAR.WE LET GO 25",26",23",23"21"AND A BUNCH OF LITTLE ONES,CLEANED 6 FISH. I WISH THE ANCHOR WOULD HAVE HELD BETTER.WE COULD HAVE STAYED ON THEM ...REALLY GOT WINDY...MISSED ME SHARE OF FISH ALSO,,,,THIS WAS THE BEST SLIP BOBBER FISHING I HAVE SEEN,MAINLY BECAUSE ,I NEVER FISH WITH SLIP BOBBERS.... laugh.gif

I can back up this claim. Two of us fished a flat on the west side yesterday (Sunday) morning and found them to be stacked on the windward edge. Drifting over them several times only produced one fish... but when we started back-trolling the edge, we lit it up. The fish were big and they were very fat and heavy for their length. We released a 26" (7 pounds, 3 ounces), a 24.25" (5-2), a 23.5" (4-6), a 23.25" (4-5), a 23" (4-0), a 22.25" (3-13) and a 21.5" (3-9). We also boated and kept 4 fish in the 14" - 14.5" range, plus one at 19.875" (3-5). If you could deal with the big rollers out there and could manage to find and work the break just right, you were in for some serious fun. There were other boats around us that were anchored or drifting and we saw them boat a few fish, but our technique was obviously working quite a bit better. I wish we could've stayed out there all day... what a blast!

I too was on ML yesterday morning and did quite well. Boated 20 walleye, (10 over 21in) The rest were 14-18.5 in. We found our success on top of the flat, not on the edge. Big waves, but good fishing!

Was out Saturday night until Sunday Noon, and caught fish steady. We caught fish on almost every flat, rock pile and reef 3o to 8 FOW produced fish. All that I can say is They Are Everywhere. Good, good times.

I guess i better confess. I did well Saturday morning until the wind slowed down. Caught lots of fish and did keep three. One 19 inch and two 15 inchers. This was the first time i had my boat on this lake so in my little 14 footer those waves look a little spooky. I really had no clue as were to go so i just fished in 24 FOW. Does anyone know if you can land a boat at Brandt and what the fee may be? I would have been out sunday myself, But the wind was to strong for my boat on the big pond. GOODLUCK

CC HURL

Mr. Hurl

I'ld like to get out during the week. Are you up to it.

Where did you fish? (flats?)I have no idea where Brandt is.

give em steel,

not trying to be a jerk, but did you hang the fish you mention on a scale? thats what i assumed given you listed weights on them.

CC Hurl, Brandt's, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is very close to Cove Public Access. Cove is a mile or two east on Hwy 27 from Hwy 169. It's very protected and if the big lake is too windy there's always boats fishing in the bay near the bouys, especially during dusk. Good luck & be safe.

Pretty slow out there tonight. Only managed one small one. Very strong wind from the east. Didn't bring a heavy enough anchor. Will have to pick another one up. Only saw 2 fish caught. I'll have to try again this weekend.

Yes... we did use an actual digital scale to weigh our fish. There's always a chance that it could be slightly "off", but we've found that it's been quite accurate in the past (as compared to a "real" scale), so I feel very confident in the results we got. We don't always use the scale, mostly in the interests of getting them back into the water as quickly as possible... but for whatever reason, we decided to use it this time and were still able to release them quickly.

The fish we caught were aggressive (they hit and fought hard), they were very chunky and all but one of them were hooked in the throat (rather than in the lip or the roof of the mouth, which seems to be the case most of the time). I encourage others to get out there while the gettin's good!

I think what the other poster is getting at was that as these water temps start to rise fish mortality about triples and most of it is delayed mortality. So even if a fish is not hooked bad and handled carefully, quickly being released 10%-15% will swim away fine but still not make it. This is per DNR delayed mortality study done on the lake last couple of years. I am not going to get on your case, but please understand hanging them on a scale in the dead of summer(really anytime) but especially Now-Mid September is pretty hard on heavier fish a will deffinitly increase delayed mortality rate. In my mind there is no reason to weigh slot fish or any fish you plan to release this time of year. As I said I am not trying to jump on you, you may continue to do as you please, you are not doing anything against the law, just making sure you understand the outcome. BTW nice catch!

I highley doubt that hanging them on a scale for 5 seconds is going to kill any of them. If they go from the water to the scale and back in the water again. Now if you let them flop around on the bottom of the hot aluminum boat for 5 minutes while you are digging for a scale that is a differnt story

If they are hooked in the throat, set the hook quicker or use circle hooks that are not off-set .

Quote:

"I highley doubt that hanging them on a scale for 5 seconds is going to kill any of them. If they go from the water to the scale and back in the water again."

Anytime a fish is held vertically you cause damage. This is especially true when hanging a fish on a hook of a scale. If you are going to take a picture of a fish please be sure to hold the fish horizontally. One hand under the belly is required to provide proper support.

We seldom even take a measurement anymore. I believe the less time the better in the hand . I am not knocking you at all but if you can weigh them in 5 seconds you are doing something I have not fiqured out. I have weighed some bigger fish in years past and quit doing so because it seemed like it was such a hassel. To each his own I just hate to see them float the next day.

Lab

EYESONEYES- WHERE DID YOU COME UP WITH THIS INFORMATION- I HAVE NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE- IF YOU JUST PULL THE FISH UP OUT OF THE WATER IT IS VERTICLE? And I would agree If you cannot do it in a timjely manner then do not do it. I have caught hundreds of fish on the big pond and every one of them swam away when released. Not that it matters but I have not kept a fish out of the lake for 6 years

sceintific evidence shows it is harmful to varying degrees, to hang fish vertically, because their body weight is supported by the waters density. also, i dont know how or where you fish kevfish, but i have never had a fish come to the surface postioned vertically!

also, if you run into a warden having a bad day, you may well end up with a ticket for hanging slot fish on a scale. the law states all fish within the protected slot MUST BE IMMEDIATELY RETURNED TO THE WATER. that doesnt mean immediately after weighing and taking half a roll of pics. fish coming from deeper water have problems with their air bladders to begin with, add in higher surface temps in the summer you have more stress. now hang em on a scale yet to boot? again, i dont want to sound like a complete dick, but i just dont understand it!

just because a fish swims away doesnt mean it lives. look at the recent studies done on fish released at pwt events for some examples.

Eyes and castmaster are both completely right on, and the bigger the fish the easier stressed its internal organs get by hanging vertically. In this warm weather i would say its definately a good idea too support the fishes weight, get a quick length on it and get it back. If you get the length you can pretty much guestimate what the weight is pretty close.

Castmaster why don't you go ahead and point us to that scientific evidence you have referred to. Where can I find it? I'm waiting.

You say you don't want to sound like a complete dick but you sure do. Any game warden that would ticket you for weighing a taking a few pics of a nice fish before releasing it would be considered a complete dick too.

Good grief. Pretty soon we'll all just take pictures of them in the water and throw the worms overboard to feed them. wink.gif

Fish-on i have heard that numurous times about big fish hanging vertically. In the water the fishes weight is supported by the water. Hold a fish horizontally with your hand under the belly, same thing, the organs are supported. Hold it vertically and there is nothing too support the organs, and the fish is stressed because of it. Dont blast a guy for trying too point out a reason too not weigh a fish on a scale. You really dont have too get a weight on a fish anymore, get a quick length measurement and use one of the numerous tables or formulas too get the approximate weight. If its off a 1/4 lb big deal. If you wanna hang it on a scale, go ahead. Will it hurt the fish? Maybe, maybe not. This time of year the chances are better that the fish might get stressed compared too the spring or fall.

You cited "scientific evidence".

I would like to see it. Are you saying you were just kidding? Lying? I am not just trying to make you look silly, I am very interested in this.

I never personally said anything about scientific evidence, i have just stated i've heard it on shows, from other fisherman, and read it in plenty of magazines enough times too believe there has too be some merit in it. That said i wouldnt doubt one bit there has been studies done reguarding the issue and thats the basis of the info i've heard on shows and read in articles ect. I wouldnt know where too find it though, although i might do some searching now.

Thanks for keeping things in perspective MBJO, at the end of the day I think we should remember that most guys are fishing for enjoyment as well as possibly finding a few eaters to bring home. Most are not meat hunters but do like a meal of fish.

As for evidence I don't know how much and what types of studies have been done, but I don't think it takes anything other than some common sense and a little fishing experience to know that warm weather/water temps are harder on fish and walleyes are know to become stresses much faster than some other types of fish(I think there are studies on this, I believe is is due to anabolic acid build up?). I think common sense also suggests that holding heavy fish by a hook/or scale through there mouth forces the gill plate section(already relatively frail) to stretch and support a lot of weight in a manner the fish is not accustom to. I think we can all agree the longer a fish remains out of the water the harder it is on them.

Fish_On a game warden sure would give you a ticket for weighing a fish in a slot. In the regulations it says fish must be released immediatly. I am guilty of taking photos of fish that I put back. Technically I think I could even be ticketed for taking photos. The regulations are clear and to the point. Weighing them on top of a photo would be sure to get you a ticket. A game warden would tell you to measure the fish and estimate that way. That is why they have so many charts out there to estimate the weight of fish. Please Please Please estimate the weight and keep those mille lacs hogs around for people to catch again. In this day and age there is no reason to hang a fish on a scale unless it is in the box.

I suppose there are game wardens that would ticket you for weighing and photographing a fish in the slot. I suppose thare are highway patrollmen that will ticket you for going 56 in a 55, but not very darn many and they would have to be a serious jerk to do it in both cases.

Much of my life deals with handling walleyes and the stressors and factors that are involved in it. I have read most every scientific study done on handling fish, particularly walleyes. One person specifically cited "scientific evidence" and I know of none. I suspect he is bluffing so I called him on it. I don't deal in what some people call "common sense" (it could be way off from the truth.) I deal in facts and just thought there was a remote possibility that there were some facts regarding fish handling I'd missed.

I'm gonna side with fish-on. I just had a slow day at work and reviewed the literature. People frequently assert that a vertical hold or weighing will damage the isthmus and will disrupt the viscera but I sure didn't find any data that directly addressed the issue. In theory it makes reasonable sense, but the difference between theory and reality is that in theory they are the same and in reality they are not.

I've got a big problem with the way people carp on eachother on this site with respect to handling procedures. We all practice catch and release and we all care about our lakes. If someone wants advice thats really great, but the constant chirping is pretty pointless.... frown.gif

MjBo it is not harping on one another. I was just referring to the regulations. Fish_On if you handle walleyes and deal with them alot then my guess is you dont need to hang them on a scale. You can get a pretty good idea of the weight without it. What is it exactly that you do? I think every statement in this thread is for the good of all fish. People are simply trying to obey the law and help out the fisheries. Mj If you can not respect other peoples suggestions and opinions then maybe a forum is not the place for you. I myself have learned ALOT here from the opinions and suggestions of other people. If a small debate comes up I think it is great. It allows us all to look at different points of view.

I hear you and I agree with you. Its good to talk bout this and educate eachother and ourselves. I was thinking more about the picture forums. I always hate it when somebody posts a picture of a fish they are really proud of and very happy they were able to release. Then everybody starts bombing on them about the nuances of fish handling. And incidentaly I think just about every forum on the net is the same way. I didn't mean to offend you or anybody else (never do).

This post started out with the flats are hot.And all I can think about is getting out of work & going fishing on the hot flats .Even though they have cooled down.Thanks for the tip ole185.See you on the lake grin.gif