• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Northlander, instead of taking the time to vent, as you call it, get on the phone next time you see this happening. TIP(turn in poachers), both Mn (800-652-9093)and Wi (800-847-9367) have tip hotlines. You could even quailify for a reward if your tip leads to an arrest. If you don't want the reward, donate it to what ever you choose.You can check out the dnr sites for both states on what to know when you call. who,where,when,what and so on. So next time you feel the need to vent, don't do it online, get on the phone. happy fishing.<((((><

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surface Tension

• loadmaster

• jigglestick

• Northlander

Thanks to all of you who responded. I guess I'm one of those dense Finlanders that has to see it in action to understand it. (I have never seen anyone sein before.)
I'd certainly like a nice net, but I have to convince my wife that its ok to spend money on more fishing stuff. So, perhaps I start with a Walmart net, and see how it goes.
I saw the nets at Walmart, but don't quite understand how one man can handle a net that's long, such as 10 or 20 feet.
ST - You mentioned the use of PVC or popple. I'm assuming that you need the poles to control the nets, but I still don't get it. I can run 14 lines off my boat in the summer, but can't quite picture this, yet.
If anyone has more patience, I'd appreciate more info.
Thanks.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

evntam Only Paul Bunyan can sien with out a partner. smile.gif The pole's get tied to the end of the sein. It looks like an upside down vollyball net. 2 guys go out to waist deep water and spread the net out. Hold the pole in the position of a paddle halfway through a stroke. Then walk backwards to shore dragging your pole on the lake bottom while singing "I Walk The Line" by Johnny Cash. When you get to shore make swinging ,dragging,lifting motion.

Or look here to see when some of us are going to be there and you can have your turn. smile.gif

ST- Your post made sense. I appreciate your knowledge. Do you guys always start at 10 - 11 PM?

evntam

Just to let you know. To sein smelt, you must be at least 100 feet from the mouth of the stream you are seining near. The DNR gets mad if you are not. Do exactly like surface tension described and you should be okay. And yes, you do have to do this in the dark. Smelt are very light sensitive. Also, do not do a lot of splashing going into the water when you net. It will scare the smelt off for a while and I don't know anyone who wants to stand in the cold water for that long.

Hope it helps. Good luck

evntam loadmaster is right. I also have the $60 model and it definitely out performed the other brands by 10:1 if not more. the more expensive net is 25', has 3/8" handwoven mesh and is much faster than typical 10' to 20' minnow nets that have 1/4" poly mesh and are green or grey. Ive had this one for 3 years and it gets the job done FAST! my problem is finding someone to help me pull it. maybe we can help each other out. ill be in town sometime in the next 3 or 4 days. if your looking for a smelting partner post or email to [email protected] tight lines
Jon

p.s. I think between a Finlander and a Norwegian we could do a pretty "durn" good job.

Just got back from the first spot on the point, did pretty good consisdering I only had the wife to help pull.(we are to deep, my shoulder hurts, the waves are big and they pull etc) A 5gal in four pulls. Alot of small ones mixed in with medium size. Dont think the females have come in yet

Hey S>T> and anybody else what about a smelt meet on Sat night say around 9:30 or so. Maybe we can figure how many nets we need and such. Totlot or bridge what ever.

Loadmaster Sounds good to me. I hope it doesnt snow. smile.gif

Hey Guys.........Is anyone welcome????
Let me know I would love to join you.

I will probably try before then but still would join in the fun!!!!!!!

Good Luck To All!!!!!!

Everyone is welcome! smile.gif

We went out on Park Point Mon. night and it was a bit slow, a lot of medium sized ones and smaller. We are going out behind my bosses house on P.P. Thurs. night. Anyone who wants to show up is welcome just let me know and we can meet at the store on P.P. Hope to hear from you soon. Northlander.

Tnt4me, I guess Ill bring my cell phone and put the DNR on speed dial the next time I go smelting.

Hey northlander, was that you on P.P about 2-3 blocks past the bridge??? St Louis River Guy, the more the merry oh. S.T. I think the tot lot would be best if we get a small gaathering (the park police and such ) Trying the bridge tonight with the daughter tonight waves are right. Later for the linnes

I have talked to some guys at work and lots of pails were filled last night. I will be out Fri. and Sat. unfortunatley I can't get out any sooner.
Jigglestick are you coming up this weekend? ?
ITS ON.

good luck

Ukes

the wife has to work both fri-sat. that leaves me with the kids. i don't know the times she works. saturday nite is a possibillity. i'll keep my fingers crossed.i'm done with work as far as i know thurs at 5. i'd stop up then, but all my gear is at home.i'll know more when i get home. i'm sure i can figure something out.
-------jigglestick-------

Was looking at the weather and it looks like friday night would be the lesser of two evil's. Loadmaster can you get out for a while friday night? How bout the rest of the forum guy's.

Maybe a couple of hours on Fri where and when? Trying tonight with the daughter, by the bridge the wind is right the temps are not. Let me know whats happening. Will check when I get back tonight later

ST, count me in. Ill be in Duluth around 8 fri night. wheres everyone meeting? tot lot? bridge? post when you have a time and place figured out.

thanks for the invite

Jon

Just back killed them between 10=11;30 wave action perfect. The only trouble I had was chipping the ice off the waders. The nets were freezing up until you got them back in the water never seen that happen during smelting season. S.T. yopu ram rod the thing for fri night will look when I getr off work

hey guys,forgive me for this dumb question, but where/what are these places your talking about meeting at.tot lot--bridge--park point. i don't get to spend alot of time in duluth, so i'm just not that familiar. i can find my way around though. tonight might work for me, i'd just have to be back in time for the youngins in the a.m.i'll know more after while. i wouldn't be able to make it til about 8:30-9:00.---jigglestick---

The Bridge would be the Aireal Lift Bridge on the bottom of lake ave. It crosses the canal and goes to Park Point. Park Point is the strip of sand 10 miles long with Lake Superior and the Bay on both sides. Totlot is the parking lot just after the bridge.

I guess we should met at Totlot. Hows 9:00 pm sound to everyone?

Jigglestick there are no know Triangel's in the area. That doesnt mean you wont fall into one. smile.gif Get ahold of me if you need a place to crash fri. night.

Of coarse,Everyone is welcome.

what should i bring? i'll bring my waders of course, but should i bring dip/smelt net, sein, or nothing and just help pull someone's net? i'm not looking for 55 gallons, just maybe a couple of buckets if i'm lucky enough. if i'm not at the tot lot at 9- then i'm not coming. i'm trying to talk someone else into going, but i'm not gonna try to hard. i hate trying to talk someone in to having a good time. if they have to be begged, they probably ain't worth bringing. maybe i'll bring j.j. if he get's his home work done. i drive a two tone green 94 ford x cab so you all can run when you see me coming smile.gif--first the dippin',then the sippin'-----jigglestick-----

Bring your waders for sure, if you have a sein take it too. Neoprene(sp) gloves are nice to have. Im sure you could get 55 gallons if you worked long enough. JJ can do his homework when he's done cleanin smelt. grin.gif
I drive a dark blue 92 ext cab long box Ford with black topper.

Uglystick when you get to duluth get off on the Lake ave. exit. Take a right you will see the Lift Bridge, its next to Grandma's saloon. Cross the bridge and look for the Totlot. Its a parking lot on the right. We will be in between the Totlot and the bridge.
Thats Park Point and it closes at 10 pm. So keep the noise down and no fires or the cops will come.

Looks like Im going to be held up here waiting for my brother to get in town. I should be a totlot around 10pm. leave a few smelt for me. smile.gif
..............///\\\.............

A little weather update for you guys from out of town. Blue sky's and wind out of the northwest(which is good) temp around 48 degrees. Should be a good night for smelt on the point. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 04-26-2002).]