• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buffalo - Deer channel report

So I motored from Buffalo to Deer and fished the channel after striking out trolling the sandbar in the Buffalo chop today. I also went into Deer. Good largemouth bass action in both the channel and north Deer weedline and shore with weightless Gulp! minnows on a straight hook. Pause, drop...., jerk, jerk. Lather, rinse, repeat. Fish on! Laid hands on some big, agressive sunnies in with them, too.

The water is somewhat high right now, and that channel was 3.5 to 4.0 feet for the most part, according to my graph, with the exception of the mouth on the Buffalo side, which was 2.5 feet. I'm assuming this becomes un-navigable pretty quick when the water drops. Have to launch at the Deer access then.

It was a 25 minute trip back during twilight to the north Buffalo landing with my trusty 6 horse, but it was worth it. smile.gif

Federline do you work? smile.gif Looks like you've made it out a bunch this summer by your posts! Good to see someone has! I've done well on Deer in the winter, summer is hit and miss. Good luck and keep us posted.

Heh heh heh, yah I work, I'll take that as a compliment! wink.gif I commute to 'tonka every weekday, and I chair a boy scout troop, too. But (and at least one FM'er was witness to it, in fact, he lives in STM there) I made a new years resolution while sitting in my portable to fish 50 days in 2005. I got a little behind at ice-out, and then I had to rebuild my evinrude after the first time out in open water, but I think I can still make it! grin.gif It helps to have so many lakes within 15 minutes, and a small boat that is easy to launch alone, fits into smaller lakes, and is cheap to run. Once I get the lights jury-rigged I'll get more time in. Oh, it also helps to have multiple friends with boats you can chide into going fishing, too. smile.gif

federline, oh nice smallie was it from buffalo lake?

I was a scoutmaster in Bloomington 7 years ago. I oldest son and I went to the BWCA 3 times. 1 years he did both the BWCA in july and Philmont in august. I still have several of my books for badges I was counselor for. It was alot of fun working with the boys.

Federline,

Did we met at the "Wright County fishing league" organization attempt last year?? Anyways, if your'e looking for a partner to fish a couple of local lakes with I would be interested. I know quite a few spots around both Annandale and Buffalo. Contact me at [email protected]

Yah, hydro, I believe we did meet last year. Thanks for jogging my memory. Thanks for the offer to fish! You may get mail in the later half of July. I'm booked pretty solid through the first half. Tight lines!

Hi jigginjim,

Nope, smallie not from Buffalo, but is indeed a Wright county lake that produced it. email me jfederline *at* yahoo d0t com for more.

Based on previous posts, I wondered if you weren't a seasoned scoutmaster. If you are ever interested in getting involved again at the unit or district level, or even just merit badge counselor, drop me a line. There's crow river district committee positions open right now.

We're headed to Many Point next week, and Florida Seabase two weeks after that. Hopefully, I'll be able to participate in the deep sea fishing with my crew!

• 3 weeks later...

How has the fishing on Buffalo or the deer channel been. Pretty quiet here.

I was out this past Saturday and did ok on bass out near Buffalo. Fished real slow with senko's up against the shorelines and texas rigged w/brush hawgs too.

Pretty darn hot out there the past few days!

I was out there a few days ago and the fish seemed to have moved on, since the water has dropped almost a foot, and the current has subsided a bit.

Was out on Buffalo tonight, HOT and HUMID again! Fished from 6:00pm - 9:00pm and had the best luck from 7:45pm - 8:45pm w/ a nice bag of bass. My buddy and I each caught 19" er's! Couldn't believe it myself smile.gif

Some nice bass in the lake that's for sure....but I've seen better milfoil than I saw on Buffalo, NASTY STUFF!

Good job Captain, did you happen to have the camera with you?

Later,

Corey Bechtold

No cam....Bad luck to have cam in the boat...lol. Those were 2 sweet hogs, too bad we couldnt get that 3rd one.

Capt. What about that "Deep water"...LOL

Sorry man, couldnt resist...lol.

Nice job, Cap'n. Hope you left some 19's for me! smile.gif As someone else has said in another post a while ago, there's big *everything* in Buffalo Lake, you just have to find it. It's such a slophole in the summertime.

yeah, yeah, yeah.....deep water laugh.gif

I wish we would have had a camera along, next time!

Well, milfoil is there, but the algae bloom is pretty much over, tho. Was out last night 7:30 to 10:30, managed very little: a nice sized pike, about 26", on a jointed deep diving crank near the sandbar, and a 16" largemouth in the usual spot. Was nice not to have green slime sticking to everything, tho - the water has become a pale, light green instead of bright green strands of goo. DNR watercraft inspection was at the north access yesterday, got my sticker!

Good job on the fish guys, I have been guiding on several other lakes, so I have not gotten on Buffalo lake. Federline, how was scout camp, I may be open to helping the troop on merit badges, Looking for a new fulltime job. Some evening we need to hit one of the area lakes.

Quote:

But (and at least one FM'er was witness to it, in fact, he lives in STM there) I made a new years resolution while sitting in my portable to fish 50 days in 2005

Yep - this is true indeed. Federline's New Year's Resolution has gotten me in trouble with the wife a couple times, especially during hardwater season. (you're a bad influence!)

Jim - the funny thing is borchawk1 is my neighbor next door, and HE never seems to be working... shocked.gif It never fails - I'll come home after a day in "cubicle-hell" and here's borchawk1 backing his boat in the driveway.

"How's fishin' today?" I ask.

"Aw, nothin' great. Just a couple little ones" he responds as I peer into his 5 gal bucket full of 2-3lb walleyes & 12" crappies flopping around.

By the way, borchawk still hasn't taken me out fishing... *hint*hint* wink.gif