• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey Merc Man! I know who you are but do you know who I am? I figured you out by the picture and you saying your parents are on Clitheral. Your dad was my Phy. Ed. teacher in elementary school and played softball with my dad in the Elbow Lake league. We also went to the same church. My grandparents have a cabin on Eagle Lake. Figured me out yet? Well, I'm 25 years old and my last name is Grout. I haven't seen you in a long time. It's wierd how small the world can be.

bassman34. Then you must be G.Grout. Are you really 25 already? Where does the time go. I see you are in DL. What do you do there? Yep, it is a small world. Keep in touch on this thing. There are lots of great people who use this forum. I've fished with several of them. Do you still fish mainly Eagle, or do you go elsewhere? Maybe I'll see you in church over the 4th holiday.

Yes, 25 already. cool.gif I'm a machinist up here in DL. I go back home almost every weekend so I fish a lot on Pomme de Terre and some on Pelican by Ashby. I do also fish on Eagle quite a bit. There are a ton of small bass in there with the occassional 3-4 pounder. I have heard that the walleye bite out there has been good this year too, but don't tell anybody. wink.gif Mom's sister Donna and Dwight have a cabin out there too and that's where we'll be on the 4th. This site is pretty cool. I just happened upon it earlier this spring and usually just do a lot of reading and not much posting, but when I saw you I just had to say Hi. How often are you able to come back up here to fish?? Your mom and dad live on the lake, right? To be honest, I've never fished that lake before. I'd really like to get out there sometime though. Keep in touch. I'm glad you were who I thought you were so I didn't look totally stupid. blush.gif

Bassman34, good to be in contact with you again. Yeah, I see Donna & Dwight in church every once in a while. Unfortunately, I don't make it home often enough. Now with the price of fuel, it makes it even harder. I have two little girls (ages 5 & 2) so they take up most of my free time (which I don't mind). Yep, Mom & Dad live right on the lake. This site IS really cool. I used to be just a "reader" also, but after fishing with a few of the guys I met through this web site, I learned that all of these guys are like me...looking for tips and just wanting to have some fun. Send me an email at: my first name, dot, my last name,@ polarisind.com. Then we won't have to take up room on this forum. Talk to you later 34. Hey, no more Pioneer ball??????

Bassman34...What kind of name is that. This here old baseball coach of yours say's "There's WALLEYES in them there lakes boy, you should be fishing them....How are you doing, talked to your dad this spring at a game in Hawley for just a couple of seconds. I'm sure you have figured out who I am, I just seen your post and thought I would say hi. Didn't realize you were in DL.

Schmidty

Schmidty!!!! How ya doin man??? I know I know, there are nice walleyes in Big DL and I've caught a few of them. Actually, I have done a lot more walleye fishing this year than bass fishing. We'll have to get out sometime during the week. I get off work at 5:00 here in DL. I bought a new boat this spring too. smirk.gif I got a '05 Alumacraft Tournament Pro 175 with a 90hp Merc Opti. tiller. It took a little bit to get used to the tiller, cause I had a '01 Crestliner 1750 Fishhawk SC with a 90hp Johnson that I traded in, but I'm liking it. There's a lot more room which is really nice. Give me an email and we can hook up sometime and go fishin. MercMan and Schmidty here is my email address: [email protected]

Hey bassman, I'm going to be up there in two weeks and was woundering how the fishing is on pomme de terre, and what is that lake good for. Ive never fishid it before. My Grandparents grew up in Ashby and he was a janitor at the high school for years. Dont know if you knew of him, Oscar Nelson? I usaly fish suel lake or pelican, come up every year, but will be first time at pomme de terre.any good fishing reports, thanks, Cameron

borntohunt, Pomme de is a good walleye lake and a good largemouth bass lake. You will get the token northern no matter what you fish for. For walleyes stick to the weed edges around 9-12 feet with a lindy rig or bottom bouncer. Crawlers seem to work the best this time of year. Surface temps. right now are in the mid 70's. Once it gets 80 and above the walleyes seem to turn off. I would go for largemouths also on the outer weed edges and by the docks. Spinnerbaits, topwater lures, rattletraps all seem to attract fish. If the water temp is in the lower 80's I would try going with Texas rigs with a 10" Powerbait worm or jig and pig, slowing everything down. Natural colors seem to work best. This lake is a relatively shallow lake with lots of weeds. There are some reed patches in the center part of the lake that are good for bass too. Hope this helps out a little bit. I don't know Oscar, but I do know some other Nelsons from Ashby.

• 2 weeks later...

MercMan, have any plans for Sat. morning?? I was wondering if we could hook up and go after some bass on Clitheral. I've never been on the lake but would like to try it, especially with somebody that's fished it a lot. I saw on another thread that you were still up here as of today (the 7th). I'm assuming you're up for the week and weekend. Let me know if you're able to go. I can bring my boat or we can fish in yours, doesn't matter to me. Hope to hear from ya soon. Later.

G

Thanks for the tips. Im going to be up there this weekend with my son for his first fishing trip to Minn. Im hoping he can catch a walleye or two and some northerns also. Any word on how the fish are biting up there now. Didn't know if its gotten to hot up there yet to turn the fish off yet or not. Thanks again for the info, I'll post and let ya know how we did when we get back.

Camron

Bassman, sorry about not getting back to you. I turned my computer off on Friday and didn't turn it back on until Sunday night. I didn't want to do any more work emails.

It got very hot there over the weekend and the fishing was not good for walleyes, but we still caught some bass, rock bass, & sunfish.

borntohunt, I didn't get out on Pomme de or Pelican this past weekend. It was way to windy. I haven't heard of any recent reports of anything being caught. The last time I went out to Pomme de was the Sat. of the 4th. Grandpa and I fished for walleyes and all we got was tiny perch. They have been a big pain out there this year. The bass should be turning on, so stick to what I said in the last post and hopefully you'll get a bunch to bite. Let me know how ya do. Good luck!

MercMan, no big deal. I went out to Ten Mile with my cousin and caught a couple smallies and a couple largemouth. We only fished for about 2 hours. It got really windy Sat. afternoon and stayed windy through Sun. That's the only fishing I was able to do. I'm playing in the Wendell Jaycee softball tournament this coming weekend, so I'm not sure how much fishing I'll be doing this weekend either. Good to hear you were able to find some bass. I would still like to get out there sometime. I'm taking Thurs. the 11th and Fri. the 12th of August off from work. Mom and dad are spending that whole week out at the cabin. If you're gonna be up that weekend let me know. Dad would like to get out there too. He likes fishing for bass. Take care man and we'll be in touch.

Bassman, it is possible for me to be back home that weekend. I'll let you know. Good luck in the softball tourney. I haven't played that one in years, but it was one of tourneys I liked the most. I'll be travelling for business all next week, but I'll be in touch. Take care.

Well we just got back from the trip and the fishing was tough. Just couldn't get anything to bite very good except for the perch, your right they are a pain. We were able to find some bass around the docks like you said using power worms. The biggest one was a 4lber. Thanks again for the tips.

Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

MercMan, will you be able to get up the weekend of the 13th and 14th?? I'm taking the 11th and 12th off from work and will be at the cabin those 4 days like I said before. Now that it's closer to that time I was wondering if you had planned on coming up or not. Let me know and we can hook up if you're up here. Talk to ya later.

Bassman34. I thought I might make it this weekend, but now it looks like I won't. Too much going on. I'll be in touch.