• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gotta go to the best source out there. We're going to be up on the north shore near Grand Marais for 9 days, July 15-24th, hitting some of the inland lakes and camping. On our way home we'd like to spend a day or half day out on the lake. We'd prefer salmon but Lake trout are OK, I guess. I am fairly unexperienced in the big lake fish as to what is biting when. We're willing to go anywhere the fish are biting best. Grand Portage all the way to Duluth. Fish on Sat. the 23rd or Sun. the 24th. I suppose we could go mid week if it's available. So where is our best chance for the kings, then silvers, and once there, who's the best to go with? Nothing wrong with a mess of big lakers tuggin on the line either but I've caught them plenty of times and would like to try some thing different.

Thanks all,

Art

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If you really want to consistently get into Salmon you have to be here early in the season. April, May and early to mid June. Soon Lake Trout will be whats going on here on this end.

Even up the shore to Grand Maris or Grand Portage in late July you really can't expect to target just Salmon and be successful That not to say your not going to get any Salmon around there or here then, just that your chances are slim. Fishing out of the Duluth Harbor or Knife River for Lake Trout won't be a problem at the times your coming up.

Art,

I'd be glad to take you out if your interested in a trip here in Duluth. If you want someone else farther up the shore, I can give you more names of some other capts too. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice guys. Regarding the salmon that's kind of what I expected but you confirmed it. I took a charter out of Grand Marais many years ago and we only caught 2 small silvers all morning. So would we be better off coming down to Two Harbors, Silver Bay? Stay in Grand Marais? We've got a motorhome to stay in so probably won't be coming to Duluth, End-of-the-line, but thanks for your offer. I'll contact you as we get closer and a little firmer on our plans regarding getting some phone numbers of charters up the shore. Thanks.

I have a buddy that I work with who does charters on the side. He is a lot cheaper than the locals!!

Everytime we go out we slaughter them.

he can put you on trout, salmon, and walleye's.

email me and I can give you the info nbogs at hotmail.com

Any charter capt. full time or part time must have a US Coast Guard license and be enrolled in a drug testing program if they are guiding on Lake Superior. They must also have a commercial guides' license. Make sure to also check to see if they are commercially insured. Those vessels are usually surveyed a minimum of every 5 years too. I'm not trying to take away from anyone, just buyer beware. These are items that are not negotiable by the USCG or the state of MN. Have fun!

bigyooper

I would like to see your buddy sloter fish all the time and would like to here him say he has not been skunked. well fishing the big lake lately has been slow and when 7 charter boats at our slip come back to the dock with 12-to-15 fish all day i would like to see a part time cap sloter fish all the time well the lake can be good to slow to fun fishing with friends and having a great time with them and the capt will do his best four the people he has and will try to stay on the fish but some days it is tuff but you may shop for cheeper prices and that is fine but you get what you pay for good luck on this serch.

Let's not slaughter BigYooper for saying he has a friend....... We all know this board is not to advertise on. There is a safety /insurance /legal factor when considering a paid client, still I would believe many of us have overheard conversations where an armature angler has offered to 'guide' for slightly more than the price of gas.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Licensed Charter Captains, insurance, boat surveys and drug programs are all put in place to protect customers. I've heard of stories where the boat owner accepted a generous amount of "gas money", the fines he received were pretty stiff.

Big Yooper, your friend might slam them once in a while out here but I think you being his good friend and do what good friends do for each other(are my friends listening grin.gif) and you might be using a tad of embellishment as to his fishing success. A full time local Captain is understandably going to have an advantage over the weekender. Not only is he out there everyday but theres the after hour dock talk.

Anyway I've found most folks looking for a good charter want a safe charter that gets onto fish. I know a couple personally and some by their reputation.