• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Richter Anchor

DRH1175

Question

I want to purchase one for my 1700 Explorer I am torn between the 18 lb and the 25lb. I don't want to be disapointed in another anchor. Will the 18 satisfy my needs even on Mille Lacs in 4 ft waves? Or should I go for the 25lb? What do I do? I like the compactness of the 18lb.

3 answers to this question

I have the 25 and it will hold a bull, you pull your arms out when it is stuck in the weeds. I have been saying all along I wish I had the smaller one, and in my case it would easily hold my 17.5 Alumacraft. However 4 foot waves may be a different game. I would say get the big one and start drinking your milk!

All I can say is that the 18 pounder, even in 2 foot swells on Mille Lacs will not hold you. So one option is to have both anchors on board. The smaller 18 lb and the larger 25 lb, to be used if the 18lb does not work.

Quote:

I have the 25 and it will hold a bull, you pull your arms out when it is stuck in the weeds.

Isn't that the truth. I was out on a very weedy lake last week and am pulling up the 25lb Richter and thought my arms were going to fall off. My Cardiologist wouldn't have been happy since I'm suppose to take it easy (no heavy lifting) for another week. I think I'll pick up a lighter mushroom anchor for the weeds. Having said that, the 25lb Richter has been able to hold my 18' Fisherman out on Millacs in 3-4 water.