• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report for 6/13 - 6/17

Looks like it's been kind of quiet here lately... so I'll post our results from last week.

Had a good trip (as always)... though the fish and weather were less cooperative than they have been in past years. Rained off and on (mostly on) from Saturday evening till Tuesday night. When it was raining, we weren't having much luck. Picked up enough walleyes for a few fish frys... but never could get more than one or two per spot. Lots of small ones that we threw back too. Caught fish at all depths... 8 feet to 20 feet. Lindy rigs with crawlers and leeches. Biggest fish were caught in Kitchi on Wednesday morning. Maybe 21/22 inches? Would like to have used our radios more to talk to Gene or ffishman... but never really developed enough of a pattern to report anything.

Met up with the group on Monday at the Pike Hole. Great food, and nice to see everyone (Gene, ffishman, Rob, Col Ron, and others), and picked up a few tips to boot. Hope the rest of your trip(s) went well. Sorry I didn't keep in touch... just didn't have much to report!

And the rain! We were getting soaked without much to show for it so we stayed off the water for 1/2 a day on Tuesday. Checked out the local resorts and their watering holes. Not a bad way to kill time though! And the rain finally let up on Tuesday night and left us with sunny skies and hardly a breeze for the rest of the trip.

I imagine the muskie fishing is probably picking up now... with the warmer stable weather. Fished for 'skies on Cass pretty hard on Monday, Thursday, and Friday. Saw a couple each day (but they were low and slow). Just not too active. Got tired of downsizing and fishing slow on Friday, so I finally changed up and went with a topwater (Jackpot). Caught a skinny 38.5 inch fish, and had a slow roll from an upper 40s piggy. Thought for sure I would be able to get her to go again later, but she did one show only. Great way to end the trip though. And I'll be back later this summer/early this fall to take another shot at that fish!

Good luck to anyone else heading up that way this summer. Keep us posted!

Mark

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the report...Just being there is half the good time. Weather can effect the fishing but can't always effect the mood. The air, the surroundings and the people just make it worth the trip. Glad you had a good time.

Tim

Another nice PikeHole lunch for the 11 of us that showed up to eat and get out of the rain. Thanks to Col Ron who gave some locations to try for walleye. Never got to call Brian but did run into him at Teal's upon our arrival Sat pm. Too bad about the weather as I would have liked to meet more of "youse guys" from FM.

The vac week was so-so. Fishing in the rain got old real quick. Glad the end of the week cleared up (I said I was bringing good weather but I must have forgot to open my bag and let it out until Wed). Just lucky it wasn't too windy during the 6 hr drizzle we fished in twice early in the week - but that was when they were biting best for us. Not being walleye guys, we go for panfish. Lucky the gills were on fire. I never saw so many big 8-9" gills. We got most in Allen's bay but also found some in Kitchi, the Turtle River, and Pike Bay. Mixed in alot of Rockies in Allen's Bay (which were smaller than usual for us) and the LMB were in there too. We kept 5 LMB and my buddy's group kept 9 which did not make our resort owner too happy. Kitchi was DEAD compared to the action we usually get - not too many snakers this year. And we never did find the jumbo perch anywhere - only kept 7 or 8 every day and on Friday in the heat we only caught what I call "aquarium" fish. My buddy's group got 3 decent Pike over at the Kettle in the heat.

The evenings near our resort were slow for walleye but from 7-10pm my buddy's group got 3 or 4 keepers each night across the lake. I went once and of course my sisters and nephew got one but I got skunked. Better luck next year.

The best story of our trip:

We were fishing for Perch in Kitchi and my sister broke off her slip bobber above her stopper. When we went to retrieve it, I was using the big motor and as we got close it went under just enough to be out of reach. So I tried again thinking the waves made it sink but as I approached, it swam even deeper. Naturally, I decided to be a little stealthy and sneak up on it with the trolling motor next time. Grabbed the line above the bobber and pulled in a 9" gill along with the tackle.

Second best story:

The night we went walleye fishing my nephew casts his jig out and gets a birdsnest. So he cuts the line and reels in hand over hand and - yep - catches a nice 17" eye.

Third best story:

Nephew caught a 15" LMB on a CANE POLE! Man, would my grannie be proud that her pole still works 35 years later.

Sorry I missed everyone at Pike Hole, I was looking forward to putting a face to the name. I left on Monday instead of Tuesday because of the forecast for storms all day and night.

We had a very eventful trip. We had a lot of firsts this year:

1. Prop fell off the motor – had to use the trolling motor to get back in. There is a lot more to this story – figuring out what fell off with the prop ect... I think problem #3 contributed to this.

2. Plug came out of the boat – 3rd day out, I felt water at my feet and knew we were in trouble. Luckily I had an extra that was easy to get to.

3. Motor did not run right for the last 4 days – Every time I opened it up it was like I was hitting bottom- big thumps. It was ok when I went real slow (just above idle). The resort didn’t have any rentals left. So we had to fish spots that were close by. I haven’t taken it in yet to get repaired.

4. My buddy caught a monster bullhead on a jig and minnow.

5. Same buddy missed a fish due his knot coming untied. 2 min. later I caught a 16” Walleye with his jig in its mouth.

We still managed to have a fun trip. This was our first time staying on Kitchi. We caught several walleyes, nothing big (17.5” the largest). It was weird but our best bite was from 11am-1pm. 17-18ft seemed to be the magic depth for us. We couldn’t find a good night bite until the last 2 nights we finally found a spot. Kitchi must be full of Northerns, I have never caught so many in my life (and had so many break offs), no monsters,33.5” was the largest. The perch were really biting but they were small. We only keep perch that are 10” and I think we kept 5 all week.

By the way, Coors light won our 16 beer blind taste test. None of us buy Coors light but always finishes towards the top.

Vitt,

Back in my drinking days, I learned that after 3 it is very difficult and almost impossible to tell the diff between beers. One time though I won a bet by picking out PBR from the others....yep my 4 beers were free that day.

Too bad about your motor problems and leaving early. We'll have to get together next year as I'm sure we will do another FM luncheon.

Gene,

Welcome home....aren't the first few days home from Cass just the worst? It's almost like depression sets in for a while. Sorry to hear about the bad weather...although it sounds like the gills were good for you. Here's a story for ya...I caught a huge gill in Allen's bay back in 1981. It was so big that I sold it to some kid who wanted to mount it for $10. Ten bucks goes a long way when you are 12 years old. It was close to a 1.5lb gill. Fat bugger.

Looks like next years trip will be around the end of June for me...unfortunately that is mayfly hatch season...so not sure how that's going to work out.

Not many northerns huh? Wow that is surprising. By now they are usually all over the place.

Tim

Nowadays you get 2 doz shiners for your $10. Quite a change over the years, huh Tim?

Very slow for us on snakers....3 boats made 2 trips and only hooked up about 24 in the back of Kitchi - almost all tiny ones. The gills saved our week. It was fun, but I think we could have done better on jumbos if we had gone back into Pike Bay a second time, but it was "that time of the month" so we stayed closer to home. Speaking of mayflys, they made a small appearance during our week, so maybe they will be done by the end of June when you get there next year, or maybe just starting. Re-consider June 10! When the heat set in after that small hatch, we watched many fish that would just sit there and look at our bait...very frutstrating. And the few crappies we sight fished were very picky about the size of minnow they would take. Don't know if that was a coincidence or not.

No big trip complaints from me except I hardly got to try anything new. One of these days I'll have more time to try fishing Cedar, Buck, and Andrusia, but it is hard to give up on the golden oldies - you know, don't mess with success.

And talk about depression....my wife simply HATES it when I return. For 23 years, she sees me go into a big funk. This year she threatened me with the asylum, so I gotta keep smilin' on the outside even if I'm cryin' on the inside.....but that's what therapy is for anyway.

What happened to our Cubbies, Tim?

Hey Gene,

You want to talk about being in a funk after your Cass trip, try waiting all year and then have your trip shortened unexpectedly by your brother who decides he wants to take his boat and car and go home. Since he's the one who drove up me & my other brother have to go home too. Oh, and I can't go to Cass next year so I have to wait an extra year before going back. This is my first post on the site since returning May 24th as the sting has yet to wear off.

Yeah, siblings can be something. You've got a brother and I have a boss...Can't live with 'em, can't murder them.

2 words....drink heavily!

But really, just find a local lake to sit and watch your bobber and dream good thoughts. I have been lucky enough to do that lately as my kids are older now and it is easier for me to get away most of the summer and fall weekends. An occassional LMB makes the cost worthwhile. We refer to it as "getting a treatment" - a nice mental health refresher.

Buster

So does Walter come on the board here??? He sure has taken a beating since his little stunt!!!

Chris,

Walter (Queen) is very lucky the only beating he's getting is on this board and not by either of his brothers. I'm sick after what he did and he ruined my vacation & my fishing trip. I've seen many posts about how I should forgive him because he's my brother but there is no way that's happening. He knows better than to come back on here because he might have to bore you all with his book of lies of what he said happened. What a joke!! I hope he never comes back on this site.

I don't know. If my brother would have pulled that on me, we would have paid a one-way visit to Deadman's Bar. Final resting place being the deepest water on the western edge. That trip is too sacred and anxiously awaited to mess with.

In all seriousness... my brother has never been much of a fisherman, which is why he hasn't been invited up for the last 20 years! He was invited this year, and made a 1 day appearance. Said he liked it (esp. the fish fry and the Pike Hole... and not necessarily in that order). Said he might even come back next year for 2 whole days! Baby steps.

Mark

Gene,

The homestand was a mess for the cubs...but hopefully the return of Prior and Wood will help them get back on track. The redbirds are about to lose 2 out of 3 from the reds...so if we could win tonight we close the gap even more. The upside is that we still have 17 games with the cards.

June 10 would be ideal for me except that as an administrator at the school I work our contracts don't end until June 22. So I am left waiting until I am done with work. early July is rough for eyes as well. It's feast at the end of july but then I am talking about reporting back to work. So I have such a small window to get to cass.

Depression is certainly rough to go through when you leave the beauty of Cass. I have experienced that since 1979.

Tim

Shoot, all this Cass talk/chat and I'm starting to think about another trip this fall. (Not trying to make Buster jealous, honestly).

Maybe I'll invite myself along with MuskyMark and try that 'ski fishing? God knows I can't catch walleye but I can throw a plug with the best of them. But then again you Musky guys don't keep many wallhangers, do you? I know, a video camera and a digital camera and then a replica, right?

I'm gonna start talking it up at home. Maybe around Oct. 2, my anniversary. Think that will go over?