• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2nd Annual FishingMN.com Smallie Magnet Event

BigMike

Ice bummer that you won't be able to join us - it looks like the water finally peaked this weekend in St. Cloud and hopefully will continue to drop some this week.

Here are all the details on the event:

What: Smallie Magnet Event

When: June 25th, Meet at 7am - Paper Weighin 3pm

Where: Ellison Park Launch, Monticello, MN

Boundaries: Mississippi River from Elk River launch all the way up to Becker or St. Cloud.

Why: To crown this year's "Smallie Magnet" for the biggest smallmouth caught that day, confirmed by partner & counted by length. Also to have a good time getting to know other smallmouth anglers!

After the 3pm check in @ Ellison we are going to have a BBQ (HT is bringing the grill). Be sure to bring some food, lawnchair, etc... I'm looking forward to hanging out and getting to know everyone a little more (and of course, feel free to hit the river again for the evening bite).

As of right now here is who I have confirmed:

1. Hawgtide & Riverwader

2. Fonz & BigMike

3. Bill Sloneker & Son

4. Smallie Hawgin & BigLakeBa$$

5. Marblei & partner

6. RiverRat (shore?/boat?)

If I missed anyone or if anyone else is interested joining us, just send me an email. If you aren in need of directions to Ellison Park just shoot me an email as well @ [email protected].

Here are the official Rules:

1. Boundaries are from Elk River to St. Cloud.

2. Artificial lures only

3. Smallmouth length (mouth shut, tail pinched) must be verified by partner and logged on data sheet (to be provided). If by chance we have an odd number/solo angler, fish length must be verified by photo of fish on the measuring device.

4. Meet a 7am @ Ellison Park for start/launch of event. If you so desire, you can drive north or south & launch your boat (or wade) after the 7am start.

5. Deduction of 1 inch for every 5 minutes you are late to the 3pm checkin.

6 Be sure to snap a few photos to share with everyone online (plus I think HT or someone mentioned bringing a laptop to upload the digital camera pictures)

7. Smallie Magnet Title will be given to angler who catch's the longest bass. In case of a tie in length, the angler who checks in back at Ellison Park first will win.

I'm looking forward to see you all on Saturday.

I need to withdraw.

This morning there was a bad storm at the parents cabin. Damage reports are being received. I am waiting for people to calm down a bit, and hopefully we will find out its not so bad. But early indications tell me there is a lot to clean up. Some building damage too, but again, no idea how bad.

And more rain to make the Miss higher. Great.

good luck with the repair work blb. sorry to hear about the damage. I was just going to post that the river dropped about 8 inches from friday to sunday p.m. here but this blast of rain sure won't help it go lower. On a good note got a few bigger fish again yesturday. have fun this weekend guys and be safe!

In my opinion, this should be postponed for safety reasons. The river is raging now and is very dangerous.

What I'm thinking is still plan on having this event and if some guys back out for the river being high, we can reschedule another event later in July or August - we could call it the "Low Water Smallie Magnet" and the "High Water Smallie Magnet" LOL! That way for those that have planned on fishing this Saturday can still fish and participate in the event and for those who want to back out can have something to look forward to later.

I'm still planning on being there Saturday (given Fonz is still in). In addition to this Saturday, Smallie Hawgin had a good idea too of maybe doing a similar event up around Sartel/St. Cloud the Saturday that the Anoka Tourney was suppose to happen on July 9th. Any interest for that date as well?

the water is WAY too high up here. not even safe for the fish shocked.gifwink.gif

The way it is going by my house it certainly takes some of the fun out of it and can be dangerous to boot. I too am not real excited about it.

it should still drop by Saturday, its down a good 6-8 inches in Elk River right now, I checked it out this morning and there was some real nice smallies in the flooded timber, I wonder where they'll be on Saturday cause Im sure the water wont be this high

After looking at the flows in St. Clouds I think that it should drop another 4-8inches by Saturday. It spiked yesterday in the downpour but has since continued it's drop. Hopefully that will continue this week with the sunny warm weather.

See you guys on Saturday.

I am up for anything, but if the water is moving that fast it might require a little more than skill of a good fisherman just to keep the boat inline.

I think Saturday is going to be a great day... Just checked the weather and it looks like a cool down from the blistering heat we're suppose to have through Friday: High of 74 with AM clouds and PM Sun. Sounds like a cold front might be moving through in the mid day which could possibly mean a good bite right before it comes through... I know I know, river smallies are not as affected by fronts as lake bass but still, it could have a slight positive influence in my opinion, plus we all know the smallies love the sun, so the more the better! Plus only 20-30% chance of isolated storms through the end of the week. I'm not complaining!

Earlier predictions from the NWS indicated a drop of 4 more inches by Saturday.

As indicated in an earlier post, I'd like to try to make this event to meet some of the other guys on the river. My schedule is currently uncertain. Boat control and fishing are definitely more difficult with the current conditions.

Threeball - we'd love to have you join us. The current conditions will prove to be a test but ultimately will prove who the REAL Smallie Magnet is... Threeball, do you have your own boat or looking for a partner w/a boat? I think most of the river rigs are full right now unless you have your own boat...

Is it Saturday yet? grin.gif

Recent experience has clearly shown that if someone in the boat catches a fish, it's in large part because the captain (eg. the driver) has been able to negotiate the current, avoid running into trees (whilst trying to slip backwards). Driving the boat while slipping downstream has NEVER been more difficult for me. If i'm lucky, I get 50% as many casts as the rest of the people in the boat, and then I get the leftovers. I'm trying to point out in advance that when you win share your trophy with your driver, he's underpaid and overworked. Yet, like guiding for me it's more fun seeing the OTHER people catch the fish.

BM I know you really want the title and I sure wish I could be there to defend it but so it goes. I'm bottling up all my luck and emailing it to fonz! somebody better get at least a 19 incher or it will be a trophy without braggin rights wink.gif. fonz and you will have a blast no matter what is caught. if the river drops 4 inches you ain't gonna notice threeball but I'm sure you know that. now a couple feet would help but that's gonna take a while yet. 4 feet lower and oh boy! good luck to all and fonz, I expect you to be bringin da trophy up nort!! grin.gif

I have a RiverPro that I keep on the water and ready to go at all times - until tonight.

I got three nice bass in 1/2 an hour, then snapped my trolling motor shaft when it wouldn't shut off after I went into an eddy while snagged up. Oh well, they come with a warranty. I should be fixed tommorrow.

My schedule for Saturday is still uncertain for myself or a partner. If I make it, I might have an extra seat.

Yikes - snapped the trolling motor shaft! 3-ball if you can make it we'd love to have you join us. Fonz - I would be the first to admit (and appreciate) all the hard work the captain of the boat puts in when fishing a river. The river is the one place the guy in the back gets all the breaks. But I will say this, the last time I was on the river with HT he caught 2 times as many fish as I... even using the same lures! I couldn't believe it. Plus if I'm using a buzzbait you get first dibs on dropping a followup lure. It's all good - I'll grill you a burger at the BBQ if I win wink.gif. All it take is one cast at this event to win... biggest/longest fish wins.

Me and a buddy took my little peice of **** out last night (finally got my 18 horse back and running) and man is she high! I think if it don't drop any the pattern will be fairly easy, if they are willing to bite with all the crap in the water is the real ?,

Anyway I predict the trophy goes to someone in the River Amatuer!

Even odds for all. Who are you betting on?

How many people are going to be there on Saturday? Do I still need to bring a grill?

HT - I think there is going to be about 10-12 guys. If you can bring the grill that would be awesome! If you do I'll be bringing some burgers to throw on or something (packin' the cooler).

RW and I will have a grill with Charcoal or Propane with grill tools. I'll bring some Ketchup/Mayo/Mustard, too.

Threeball,

Let me know if you're going to be out at the smallie magnet event this Saturday and if you have an open seat in your boat.

I wasn't planning on attending since I'm supposed to go to a grad party this Sat., but I might be able to get out of it.

I'd be willing to pay for gas or whatever. Let me know.

John

HT - sounds like a plan. I'm looking forward to throwing down some burgers, talking bass and whatever else. I'll be sure to throw a couple extra launch chairs in the car too.

Juan G - hope you and 3-ball can work it out. We'd love to have you guys join us.

If anyone else has an open seat, I'd be interested in filling it. I was supposed to be picking up a puppy on Sat., but that's been delayed until Tues. so now I can make the event. I usally fish from my canoe, but with the water level where it is, I don't feel the canoe is a very good plan. smirk.gif

Looking forward to this.....I might have to stop the fishing 30 minutes early to allow me to get my truck and the 'eats/drinks' up to the picnic area.....timing will be critical it sounds like...:) Will just have to plan my last 'drift' accordingly...am sure it can be done.....

So your boat is full three ball? I would just wade, but it sounds like the water is too high. Oh well, maybe next year.