• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm going through a bad slump, been on shields & mazaska and have zip to show. Question if I may; mainly targeting panfish with the kids, we've been trying in the weeds, just outside the weeds, everywhere with minnows & waxies. I did notice on mazaska tons of baitfish everywhere we stopped, so I assume the fish are "full" laugh.gif What are some techniques you guy's using with the all weeds we have this year.

MNICE,

I ASSUME WHEN YOU SAY THAT YOUR SEEING BAITFISH THAT YOUR SEEING THEM AN THE OUTSIDE WEED LINE ,THIS IS WHERE I NOTICED THE LARGEST CONCENTRATION OF THEM, HOWEVER IN THE PAST FEW DAYS MOST OF THE LARGER BLUEGILL AND A FEW CRAPPIE ARE ON THE INSIDE OF THE WEEDLINE RIGHT TIGHT TO THE BANK

AND SHOULD BE EASY PICKIN BUT YOULL HAVE TO MOTOR RIGHT THOUGH THE WEED MAT TO GET THERE ONE GOOD SPOT I NOTICED WAS RIGHT NEXT TO THE HIRDLER PARK ACCESS RIGHT UP TO THE BULL RUSHES THERE WAS QUITE A FEW GOOD GILLS TTHERE ABOUT 3DAYS AG0 (8- 9 INCHERS ) I FOUND MY SELF WISHING I HAD SOME PANFISH GEAR BUT WAS ONLY SET FOR BASS!!! HOPE THIS HELPS ALSO JUST TO THE LEFT OF THE ACSESS AS YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE LANDING( 200 YARDS)APPROX I CAUGHT SIX NICE WALLEYES 2 GOING IN 20-23 INCH RANGE ON A SMITHWICK ROUG

SUSPENDING JERK BAIT AGAIN BAIT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE

ALL FISH WERE RELEASED AS THE LAST ONE I CAUGHT WOULD HAVE BEEN SMALL ENOUGH TO EAT.I KEEPED HIM IN THE WELL FOR A MOMENT BUT THEN RELEASED IT

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP THE ROD BENT

Hey MNice, If you want a good take-your-kid fishing lake, try Clear lake in Waseca....plenty of panfish to keep them busy!

The bone

MNICE,

Try Cedar (Faribault) for panfish. Got sunnies in the holes in the weeds and crappies near weeds in 10-12 feet.

jig-em

I went to German Saturday. I couldn't use live bait! The sunfish were everywhere. In 20 feet of water or 5 feet of water. If it looked like a good spot, the Sunfish were there. Time to go to crankbait.

we hit Maz twice this weekend, the gills are still on the nest and if you find those, the rest is easy. Like some other posts, the nest are usually in 2-4 ft of water and look like big dinner plates. The males guard the eggs and are very aggressive. We picked up close to 50 8-10 inch gills (kept enough for dinner) and are they fun to catch on light tackle. the good thing is, when they hit that fast, as opposed to a bobber, they usually don't gut the hook and are easy to release (my dad always said " got another upper lipper" if you really want to have fun, try the shallows with a fly rod. We found nest all around, but always inside the weed line. Same thing for German last week.

We didn't do a thing on Cedar, but tons of skiers etc.

Also, we caught all of ours on worms (or pieces of nite crawlwers)

Good luck, Bitz