• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Main Motor and Trolling Motor Questions

ray

Question

I have a 2004 Merc 75 h.p. 4 stroke tiller motor with about 6 hours on it and noticed it does not idle well at all. It will start fine right away and runs cold when warming it up (which seems to be normal from what I hear). The problem is after a sufficient amount of warm-up time it still will not run properly on the lowest idle speed. It will even quit when I have it docked when getting the trailer in at the landing. My question is will it get better as I get closer to the 10 hour break-in period or is there an idle adjustment that needs to be made?

Second, the first time I used my 74 lb. thrust 24 volt transom mount trolling motor the fuses kept blowing. The dealer installed 20 amp fuses and reading the Lund manual they state that the trolling motor system should have 40 amp fuses. Went to NAPA and bought 40 amp fuses but didn't come close to fitting. Was this wired wrong or is there a difference in styles of 40 amp fuses? Found 30 amp fuses at Fleet and was able to jam those in the spot where fuses go and seems to work longer but am I better off getting this re-wired?

6 answers to this question

Forget the inline fuse... Get a breaker instead also available at Fleet Farm in the Marine or Fishing department. I have had mine on my 24 volt, 74 lbs Minnkota for two years now and haven't touched it since. Best thing about a breaker is that it resets itself so you don't have to spend any time like you would with a popped fuse.

Good Luck!

I had a similar problem with my Yamaha F75.

It idled rough. I took it to the dealer and the carbs were out of sync.

It's smoother now, although not as smooth as my old Honda 75 was.

I am surprised the brand new 4 strokes do not idle well. Hmmm...

Anyway, I think you should get inline breakers....if they have 50amp...get them. I had 40amp on mine and they were the source of my trolling motor going off when the going gets tough

Had the same problem with the 40 amp breaker and changed to a 50 amp. Haven't had any problems since with my 24 volt, 74 lb thrust Minnkota PDAP.

As far as the Merc goes, they are set at the factory, but they do not always get the mixture adjustment right. Have your dealership check it out. It should run relatively smooth. One question, when it is idling rough, does it backfire? If it does, is it though the carb or out the exhaust. If it is through the carb, it needs more fuel at idle. If it is out the exhaust it needs less fuel at idle. This is a job best left to someone trained that can synchronize the carbs while adjusting them. It may even require a pilot jet change. It should still have warranty so this should all be covered.

Interesting that there are comments about the carb. The second time I had the boat on the water it never left the dock because it wouldn't start. Brought it to the dealer and after checking the most obvious problems they ended up having to clean out the carb. Said that happens from time to time that the motor comes from the factory that way.

Anyhow, motor did run better after that but still having this idle problem. Maybe they didn't do a sufficient enough job?