• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have just returned home from fishing Vermilion for our first visit of the year. When we arrived on May 28, the weather seemed normal and the fishing did not! shocked.gifSmall walleye were the norm for the first week or so. I had difficulty catching anything over 13 inches and everything we caught ate minnows. The entire first week was spent on Vermilion and we had our best luck fishing the deepest water we could find between Potato and Cherry Island. I switched to crank baits exclusively during week two and picked up some nicer walleyes. The bite was pretty much dependent upon clouds and wind and we had no trouble getting all of that we wanted wink.gifMy lure of choice was a Husky Jerk(2 hook) with silver sides and black back trolled at approx. 2 mph in 8-14ft of water along rocky shorelines and points. One evening I caught a 48 inch musky in 8 ft of water. I was able to measure the fish alongside the boat BUT no camera mad.gif Less than 15 minutes after releasing musky #1, musky #2 whacked the same lure less than 400 yards down the shoreline! This fish gave me quite alot of trouble and I had trouble with it at the boat. I finally got the hooks out but could only guess its length. I know one thing for sure, it was bigger than musky #1! I was very careful with these fish and handled them only in the water close to the boat. The season was not open and my camera was at the cabin. Both fish were very heavy and were of the clear variety. Fish #1 allowed me to measure her, fish #2 was having none of that and was gone as soon as I was able to free the hooks. I'm not sure if you can even bring one in the boat for a picture before the season opens but I will always have the memory of two wonderful trophy fish that are still alive and well.

On Friday of week two (June 10)my wife and I went to Trout Lake. I pulled into a spot that I fish when I'm there and the walleyes were at 18ft and hungry smile.gifWe caught everything on leeches, 5ft leader and red #4 Gamakatsu, 1/2 oz bottom bouncer. The smallest walleye caught was 21" and the biggest was 23". Phenomenal fishing and frequent double fish. We made the 11:00 shuttle back to Vermilion. Vermilion fishing picked up after that and better fish were found where I normally find them. 20-30ft of water and leeches accounted for 30-50 fish days for my wife and myself until we left. Average fish were 13"-15" and patience was rewarded with some really nice 17"-20" walleyes. On June 13 we went back to Trout Lake and found the walleyes again. This time ,however, they were scattered. All fish were caught in 18-25ft of water on rocky points and reefs. The fish were more varied in size (18"-26")and all preferred leeches. In addition, we caught a 35" northern pike on a leech. One point: my wife COULD NOT get a hit on a Lindy "no-snag" and was successful only after she switched to a bottom bouncer.

We fished Vermilion smallmouth a couple of days and found fishing far inferior to previous years.

I hope this information can be of some use. I look forward to our 2 week return at the beginning of August.

Great update as always Barney! I thought you spent most of your trips in Trout... We head into Trout this Sunday for the week. Do you remember any water temps. We have been going into Trout for a week, for the last 12 years..man I love that lake. I'm not asking for any secrets but if anything comes to mind that may help our trip I'd love to hear from ya.

Take care.

Barney,

Sounds like you had a great trip!

I'm jealous. By the way, do you stay at Forest Lane Resort?

I noticed where you're from and it sounded familiar.

Water temps on both trips started at 57 and warmed to 60 degrees. If you have been fishing Trout Lake for any length of time then you have fav spots also. The Trout Lake walleyes are ready to go and simply fish where you've caught em before wink.gifOne thing I would add, however, we found NO walleyes on trip #2 where they were on trip #1 confused.gifSecondly, I saw no fish caught by other fishermen (2 boats)on trip #2( I saw no other fishermen on trip #1). I am totally convinced that the bottom bouncer presented the leech the way they like it and my wife proved it. Also, speed is a very very important element when fishing Trout Lake walleye. My wife caught her best fish sitting still while I was boating another fish! If I didn't know that lake at all, I would look for a rock pile reasonably close to shore(at this time of year)that comes up shallow out of deep water. Fish the 18ft break on down adjacent to those rocks!