• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey you North Shore long-timers out there.

Being new here, I'm looking for some info on the spring smelt runs. Do they still happen much? Can people still go and net them? I'd like to lay up a supply for winter pike tip-up fishing, and maybe smoke a bunch too.

Any info would be appreciated.

Ever done the smelt thing, Surface Tension?

------------------
Steve ([email protected])

Hey Catman,

There is a smelt run, although, it seems the last few years have been kind of slim pickins. I think there is still a good one around Ashland. But, it you want to go, I have a bud who is going to do it again this year after a 3 year hyatis for just the purpose you described. I think I may join him. When the time comes, you are welcome to come along.

Set the Hook!!

Lundman

I'm in.

Do you need special licenses in Wisconsin or Minnesota?

------------------

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 03-07-2002).]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Jared, So do I but its best not to advertise it. By law you cant be down there past 10pm. The smelt dont come in till late at night. If the numbers of people are small the police and home owners let it slide. If we get a mob down there its over.

Catfish the smelt runs years ago were somthing to behold. Fire's were allowed so was beer. At the Lester there would be hundred's of people and everyone had a fire. There was a smelt fry every year across the road set up in big army tents. Vendors selling beer,pop hotdogs, polish sausage. My Boy scout troop was there with a stand selling stuff. At time traffic was backed up for a mile. It was the passage of spring and everyone was celebrating. There were campers and buses from all over the country.
Then somone decided people didnt deserve that much fun. When it was all over with no more beer was allowed. No more fires. No smelt fry. The vendors didnt come any more. Then the runs dwindeled to a spert. Now there are just a few people that show up every spring. Some remember the great runs. Some heard the tales from there dad.

Yeah, I remember hearing about the smelt runs in the 70s when I was a teen growing up on the N.D./Minn border. Are the runs less now because too many got caught, or is it some other reason?

------------------

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Its like any new species that get introduced. Theres a boom then numbers level out. Then chinooks were planted which eat a lot of smelt. In the mean time Lake trout numbers are are rebounding from the sea lamprey.

stfcatfish,

There's plenty of smelt in the lake. You just have to check in with the DNR and they will tell you when the smelt run and where they are.
Good smelting.

The lester is pretty low right now, good thing we have all this snow to push that dike out of there when it all melts. Should help the runs I would think.

And it looks like there's bunch more snow on the way. Nice to see there'll be some runoff this spring, anyway.

Thanks for the tip, Basshunter. I'll check in with the DNR.

------------------

Jared is correct,we did real well on the smelt on park point. We have friends who live at various spots on the lake side of park point and we hit different spots every so often. Sometimes dusk is best, other times real early a.m. Watch out for those big smelt because we got a lot of them. So many that we started casting for them. Wisconsin Point can be good but you have to fight the crowds. All you need is a fishing license, a couple lanterns, 5 gallon pales, waders,rubber gloves, and a seign net. Put your time in and you will get enough for bait.If not I have some still froze I can spare. Hope this helps you.