• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bass ponds.

Has any one ever fished those bass ponds over by the Mall of America? If so, do you have any info on them. I'd like to give them a try some time.

The ponds are pretty scummy, but the fish in there can be huge. I am always suprised when I go down there at the size of the panfish. DO NOT EAT THEM though. You might grow another arm.

Years ago we used to walk through quite a bit of shallow water, mostly muck, to get out to this spot and pitch buzz baits for northerns. Caught some real dandies. Once the water warmed up though the carp would move in. Like I said I haven't been there for...boy I'm afraid to say it, 10 years shocked.gif So I'm not sure what the situation is down there now. I had alot of fun when I was there.

Good Luck

When you walk straight down from the hill there is the small circular pond on the right. It's the smallest one there I believe. We would stand on the culvert pipe there and catch monster sunnies.

In Bloomington take old shakopee towards the mall of america. Turn right at 86th street, you will see the signs that say Bass Ponds. You will come in near Cypress Semiconductor.You do have to walk down a big long hill, but it can be worth it.

Ok this might but dumb, but why can't you eat the fish from those ponds?

I believe they are fed with storm sewer run off. Remember your dumb neighbor that puts paint and other junk in the storm drains? This is where it goes.

Chernobyl fish… shocked.gifshocked.gif good to know. I don't eat fish, just wondering why. I just love the sport.

if i am not mistaken, i think those ponds being mentioned are rearing ponds for the DNR and are illegal to fish.

there is a sign down there saying so, it explains what the ponds are for and to not fish there

Well maybe I'll just take a walk down there (empty handed.) and check them out to see. I've heard that they used those ponds for breeding pike and muskies together, and the fish were so aggressive that they couldn't release them. But they still live in the ponds.

I havent been down there for a couple years, but I don't ever recall seeing a sign that mentioned no fishing. Could be that way now.

I did some looking around online and couldn't find any thing about fishing there, just about birds that live in the area..

Nothing on the DNR site, but the federal fish and wildlife site mentioned it as a good fishing spot. I would e-mail the DNR.

I was already thinking of that. I might just stop down at the St. Paul office and ask them. I'm not to far from it.

Maybe you could ask them about the water quality too. That would be some good info to know about.

Gander Mountain has a kids fishing day down there every spring(I always see the flyers when I shop), so I would imagine you could fish them.

this was around 5 or 6 years ago, i was on my way down there and noticed the sign. it could be a different story now though.

You can fish down there. The bass rearing pond thing was way back in the '50s and '60s. I fish there every year and as long as I can remember, now at my age of 30, there was never a no fishing rule, just a fish consumption advisory sign. The only no fishing is at night cuz the parks closed.

I am almost positive you can fish down there. I really don't remember seeing anything about no fishing down there. There is a visitor information site at the bottom of the hill that is the entrance to the park.

Since no ones gonna eat anything from there, the fishing can be superb depending on condition and time of the year. It's no secret about the Children's Fishing Pond, that's the name of it, it's the 3rd pond of the 4 in a row. It's also the clearest and has good bass fishing if you're willing to walk around the pond. Wading around it is better because of the wooded shoreline. Good luck and have fun.