• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Leaking 7.5

Shwangman

Question

I have a 7.5 that I purcjhsed last year so I purchased a new o-ring and the bearing and replaced it, and it still leaked. A friend told me to use form a gasket and that held until the motor was used. It is not a big leak but, it bugs me. Any idea's on using silcone sealer or something. I notice the o'ring is not completely seating into the groove so, I tried to get it down further into it but, it just won't seat down. I called Merc and they told me that it was the right seal for that serial number and size so I'm at a loss.

5 answers to this question

What are we talking about ? I don't understand what is the subject, you might want to be a little more clarifying confused.gif

I don't know where the location of your o'ring is but I have seen before the problem when the new one won't seat is the old one is still in the hole. Not allowing the new one to seat all the way in.

Ok, got it figured out. When I talked to the Mercury rep, he told me the parts that would be causing me the leak so i purchased them and installed them and still had the leak!! What he did not tell me that another oring exists, farther back and I spotted that thing being twisted so instead of screwing things up, I dropped the motor of and told the guy to replace both the orings. Thanks.

Ken

I'm thinking that no one on here has any clue what you are talking about.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Sounds like you needed a seal kit for your lower drive.

Along with the prop shaft seals the seal on the water pump/drive shaft and shift linkage seal should be replaced.

While your at it replace the impeller.

Then rest easy knowing you shouldn't have any surprises popping up.