• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well, it's been quite some time since I've posted a report but for good reason. I simply have not been out around here in awhile! I have been busy with a tournament schedule and trips up north along with work and spending time with my wife and daughter! At any rate, I decided to go to German tonight and see if I could put something together.

I started out casting cranks to the inside and outside of heavy weed edges in 4 - 7' of water on one of my favorite sections of shoreline out there which almost never fails me. On my 3rd cast, I connected with a healthy 24.25" 'eye. I immediately thought that this was going to be a night of big fish. However, that was not the case, although I did get another nice female that "tailed" the tape right at 23". This weed bite quickly came to a stop after catching the two nicer fish, so it was time to move. I moved to another area with similar weed coverage but closer to deep water. This area proved to be loaded with small largemouth bass, so I again moved quickly to another section of shoreline near by. As I pulled up to the selected area, I quickly realized that there was an opportunity for an aggressive school of fish to be in this area. There was a huge school of golden shiners feeding near the surface in 3 - 4' of water. I immediately switched over to an 1/8 oz Mimic Minnow beetle-spin and casted towards the school of baitfish. On the first cast, I connected with a 15" 'eye and the rest is history. I caught over a dozen smaller male 'eyes between 13 - 15" in a very short order as the sun went down.

All in all, a good night but the fish didn't come easy until sundown.

I'm headed back out to SD this weekend for yet another tournament and then I look forward to seeing many of you next Tuesday on Lake Washington.

Good luck out there and keep your tip up!

Otter do you have the latest on Madison? We are spending most of saturday on French chucking for muskies but we are heading too Madison later in the day too see if we can get a few walleyes. I havent been out there since opening weekend.

James,

I haven't been out to Madison since last Sunday(it was a zoo) but I'll give you my two cents. We were casting twisters at the weed edges in about 8' of water. Caught a couple nice eyes and a ton of bass. We didn't fish too hard considering the boat traffic but it was a great day to be on the water. The key was to rig the twister tail weedless with a jig head so it would work through the weeds and out to the edge.

I talked to one of my good friends this afternoon who said the bite has slowed some out there. However, there are still fish to be caught, it's just that they seem a little tougher to come by lately (at least for him). I would look to the weed lines and even in the weeds for sure. I would have to believe the same tactics I used on German last night would also be effective on Madison. Locating schools of bait fish this time of year is key.

Also, the suspended crankbait and live bait spinner rigs behind planer boards bite should start up any time out there.

Hey Fulltilt when you do that are you letting your jig settle too the bottom and then slowly retrieving it? Or are you hopping it? The weeds are what i was planning on fishing. We will be there later in the afternoon and into the evening so im thinking the weeds will be the ticket. Thanks for the info.

Well, we must have just missed each other! I was at the Public Access on German until about 2 p.m. on Tuesday and gave up with nothing. But I'm not an expert fisherman.

However, I was on the dock as 3-4 boats came in and nobody was catching anything with the boats either.

It's also getting quite weedy - at least off the public access.

Will be trying Jefferson tomorrow. Never fished there, so it'll be an adventure.

James,

We were casting the twisters into the pockets and edges of the weeds, there were a lot of weeds on the surface. I fish with Fireline so when it felt like the twister was on a weed I'd give it hard jerk and the line would usually cut through the weed, sometimes it was a fish and not a weed. We did not let the jig fall to the bottom, cast out and slowly retrieve. Give the 3" Gulp twisters a shot, chartreuse was good that day.

Hi folks, A friend and I are going to try German on Sunday for a shot at some eye's. (She's never boated anything decent.) Neither of us has ever fished it before. Any chance of getting a couple of tips for the lake? No honey holes or anything, just a general starting point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beak

Da Beak,

My fishing report on this same post from this past Wednesday night should be a good starting point.

Good luck out there!

Thanks TO. Just being out on the lake is a great time. Catching a few fish, is a bonus. grin.gif