• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kind of off fishing topic but........

I've got a friend coming into town from California & I'd like to get her out tubing/skiing this weekend. What lakes would you suggest in the area. I don't want to go to a lake with too many people fishing (I can't stand skiiers when I'm fishing), yet I don't want to go to a swamp either! My guess is that Buffalo is going to be out of the question!

Pleasant I think is a good lake to ski. Clearwater can be trickey, big lake but a lot of dodging standing weeds and mix a lot of fishermen with that, it makes it pretty tough. Hope this helps.

Try Pulaski in Buffalo. That lake is full of boarders and skiiers and is one of the cleanest lakes around. It also has a nice beach and restrooms. cool.gifcool.gif

Thanks for all of the responses. This site rules! You can find info on anything! I think I'm going to Pulaski! My brother-in-law will get a kick out of this lake, he had a cabin there when he was younger & hasn't been there since.

I think Pulaski would be a great choice, it's quite the rec lake now and in history. Buffalo (the city) has a pert-near century-long history of selling itself to vacationers as having one of the best fishing lakes (Buffalo) and one of the best rec lakes (Pulaski) in the area. I have some vintage postcards of old Pulaski Lake resorts that "da city folk" would come out to in the summertime. I also have a vintage City of Buffalo tourism brochure claiming fame to Buffalo Lake: "Fish: We Raise 'Em!" Quite the neat peek into the town's history.

Re: tons of skiers/tubing/boarders/ jet-skis / speed boats on Pulaski: On nice days, if there are still fishers reading this thread... Avoid Pulaski like the plague during sunshine combined with non-working hours if rec boaters annoy you. I've experienced some of the most inconsiderate rec boaters there at those times, in my opinion. If you have a fishing rod in your hands, you are invisible it seems. It can get like a summer day on Lake Minnetonka some days. Fisher beware! I won't even talk about the courtesy levels at the boat launch... frown.gif Off hours and bad weather pays dividends in spades!

Was out on Pulaski yesterday...and all I can say is you better get out there early. If you don't you will be parking about 2 blocks away. I had no choice about getting out there yesterday at noon. I would have liked to be getting off the lake at that time.

Anyway, as I offloaded my boat (I was alone) I had to tie it to the end of the dock as the beach was full of boats on both sides of the dock. Now, I had to find parking. There was no parking available at the ramp or on the street adjacent to the ramp. So a cop told me to park on Anderson Ave. (the hospital entrance street) and to pay attention to the "End of No Parking" sign. So I ran back to the ramp only to find a guy moving my boat so he could back in. Problem was he couldn't back his boat in straight much less the fact he had his children moving and holding my boat. Needless to say, I yelled at him for even touching my boat and his impatience could have led to damage to mine or both boats plus any potential injuries to his children. What a jizz-(Contact US Regarding This Word). This guy (Gilligan) was launching a "cabin cruiser" (S.S. Minnow) that belonged on Minnetonka, not Pulaski. Then he has the audacity to scream at his kids for "not doing it right"...What were they supposed to do besides be children? He was the one backing the boat and then proceeded to hit the dock with his boat and trailer (good thing the dock isn't a new one).

Then while fishing, I watched 2 ski boats racing around the lake and one didn't know how to trim his motor so the bow was virtually 45 degrees in the air! Good thing he was traveling downwind or he could have flipped her over. Plus this guy couldn't see in front of him (i.e, jetskiers and tubers that had fallen off, etc.) Man, I tell you...it's either real early or real late at that lake...

Well....

We decided on BeeBe. What a mistake. About 9 boats ahead of us to drop & load boats. Not too bad. Lake was fine. We were out waterskiing. My sister is in the water ready to start skiing when low & behold a boat comes flying right between my boat & my sister, destroying our ski rope. The crazy thing is that they were also pulling a skiier. So this boat misses killing my sister by 10-15'. They didn't stop & bother to ask if she was ok or anything. They took off right away. Nobody in the front of their boat was looking straight ahead. They were all watching the skiier, even the driver! If my 2 young neices weren't in the boat, I would have jumped into his boat & pummeled him!

OH MY GOD!

You didnt get a registration number or anything? I woulda had a call into the sheriff in seconds on that.

Wow! Thank goodness everyone is fine. That is SCARY!

We were all kind of shocked for a few minutes. Kids were crying, etc. They bolted out of there pretty quick.

Backerup,

Your right the guy should not of been touching your boat. And the guy shouldn't of took his frustrations out on his kids. But you could of been the better man and helped him out. You could of told him where the access was and guided him back. This isn't a perfect world and everyone isn't an ACE at backing up Large boats. Theres alot of really stupid people out there, that do some dumb and dangurous things. But yelling at someone thats having a tough time doesn't make anything easier for anyone.

If I were there waiting to launch, and someone left there boat tied to the dock, I would have untied it and pushed it off to sea. I think it was last Saturday I was leaving at around 1:00, I dropped my wife off to get the trailer, and I waited and waited and waited, and watched and watched all the goofy things that were happening at the Pulaski boat launch from my boat. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. No body new what they were doing and it was a disaster! They need a few full timers at that launch on the weekend directing people and keeping thing flowing.

The messed up thing is that this guy was just standing at the dock holding the boat & wouldn't move. I'm pretty sure that people were saying things to him also.

Hoggs,or anyone else,if you see things like what the screwball did to your tow line, or any other out of line behavior, especially on any Wright County lakes, call 911-Wright County Sheriff. I am on the Sheriff's Reserve Unit, and we do a fair amount of recreational enforcement on the water as reserves. This is exactly the kind of stuff we need to know about so we can get deputies/reserve deputies to respond, and/or patrol these problem lakes/areas.Pick up your cellphone(s), if you have one, and call 911.Folks who do call are not being pests to the 911 dispatchers. We need to know about these incidents.The Sheriff's Office can do a better job with the general publics help by reporting things. I would rather get to a complaint, not have the offending folks there,or they have toned it down, then have to do a water rescue, or a recovery for a fatality.We want everybody who use Wright County lakes to enjoy the time they are there, so help us do just that if you can. Thanks.

Nice post Hogs. Please do call 911 when you see things like that. If you wait till some one gets hurt to call 911 then I have to show up and go to work. Believe me NO body wants us showing up for work!I'd rather sit at the beaches and watch all the launching entertainment (and other things blush.gif). Stop the (Contact US Regarding This Word) befor they kill somebody!