• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey Pick:

C'mon, cut the guy a little slack. Aren't we in the real world from the minute we're born?

And any trout fisherman (unless he's a dry fly-only type) knows you can catch trout with a spinner.

Good tip on the Rooster Tails. I've got a couple gathering dust from when I used them as a college student (yep, true, before I entered the real world 20 years ago) to catch stream trout. Never thought to use them for loopers, because I was too focused on what the other guys are doing.

------------------
Steve ([email protected])

Thanks for the advice,
I agree I had it pretty easy last year, however, now I do live in the "real world", working 7 till 5 and going to class in there somewhere, but if you love fishing as much as I do, you make time for it.

While I will not be able to fish morning and evening this year, I will still make time to hit it at least once a day probably 3 days a week, and right now, the weekends are dedicated to URL.

I appreciate the advice to use rooster-tails. I am going to assume, that your playful harassment was out of envy, rather than get all pissed off and turn this great forum into a "whining" post like so many of them turn into.

Thanks Stfcatfish for the backup.

Tight lines
Jeff

Hey guys-

Good conversation you got going here. I've been an interested "observer" to your conversation. I am interested in learning more about looper fishing on the North Shore. If any of you guys want a partner for some weekend 'looper fishing, shoot me out an email at [email protected]

Thanks,

Matt

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Ok, its not that spinners dont work. Theres always been an agreement between the guys out there not to throw spoons and spinners. Unless theres just a few people fihing the river mouths then it is a little more acceptable. When theres 50 guys with 2 rods each no one wants to be goofed by a bad cast. Plus imagine if everyone was casting. There are places along the shore that are historicly "casting" spots. The Curling ,Stoney Point and Brighton Beach are a few. This type of fishing is totaly differant and done in very tight quarter's when the fish are in. Greenhorns stick out like a sore thumb. If you want funny looks start casting. This may get you upset but thats the way it is and you wont like shore fishing.
I didnt make the rules so dont flame me.
If you think should be able to fish any way you please, dont tell me. Plead your case on the shore. This is the way it has been for decades.

Hey Jeff,
I wish I was in college and had the opportunity to fish every morning. Well live it up now, cause sooner than later, you'll join the real world. My first 5 loopers I caught I was using a 7 foot spinning rod, and I was using 1/2 to 3/4 oz. Rooster tails. Black, white and orange. Just heave it out there as far as you can and bring it in. Don't go too slow, or you'll hang up on the rocks. You'll be surprised how well you will do. Of course all of the traditionalists will look down on you for using a rooster tail(in line spinner). In fact the first time I caught a looper on one, an older, drunk guy wouldn't believe that I caught a looper on a spinner. I caught another one 3 minutes later.

I always use spinners when there is ton of people at the river mouths.

Like I said, live it up now, the real world doesn't work that way

Surface Tension,

I know the rules, I get my spot in the lake and if someone moves in on me, it is there fault for floating their rigs in front of me. I put on my waders and walk out waist deep and start casting. I have never crossed any lines, nor have I had someone get PO'd at me either. Of course I choose my spots wisely too. I get as far away from others as I can. I really like the days when everyone sits in their cars in the parking area and waits for someone to catch one and then they all come running down and throw out their floating crud. But with a name like surface tension, I wonder if you watch behind you for people walking on the shore so you don't hit them with the back cast? I have seen a couple guys get hooked up that way.....

Jeff, fish now, live gets more complicated when you get married and have kids...

Jeff,

Jealous, yes! Giving you some tongue in cheek grief, Yes! I say max out your student loan, quit your job, buy a camper and live in the parking lot at the hatchery. That would be a great way to live.............

SUrface tension. I have always wondered what you guys throw out there on the end of your fly line? I have tried to cast out looper bugs but that is almost impossible on the lake. Specifically, what do you use? I have tried to catch loops on my fly rod, but have given up in the lake. I still use it on the streams though....

Guys dont misunderstand my post. Im not telling anyone how to fish. And the shore should be for everyone one to enjoy. The crowds and higher then thou attitude of some anglers is the reason you wont see me on the shore.
Pick, Not sure what you meant. My worst back cast caught myself when I was a kid. It was a double arm over the head cast with a Daredevil in the back. As far as picking a spot. After the shore fills up everyone seems to forget who was there first.

Pick I didnt see your second post. Now it makes sence to me. When I fly fished off the French there wasnt any Loopers in the lake and my buddy Tommy H. didnt make looper bugs yet. Steelhead didnt hang around the mouths like loopers do all winter. When there was room at the mouth I would go for Steelhead that layed hiding in the rocks along side the current. Short persice casts with any nymph. I did my share of sittin on the beach after Loopers too but Steelhead in the rivers was my passion.

Most of my fly fishing now is in designated trout lakes during the Hex. hatch. and some steams and rivers.
Good Luck on the shore, ST

• 2 weeks later...

just wondering if anybody has been doing any good on the shore yet? also how is the ice any piled up on shore by the french or is it open? starting to get the arm twitching again need to get out and get some. thanks for the info later,Bruce grin.gif

Hey mudslinger:

Don't know if you live near or far. No ice against shore, though sheltered Sucker Bay had a bit Sunday. Little bit on the rocks in all places after NE winds, but that'll melt any moment. It's been cold the last week or so, with lows near zero and highs in the teens and low 20s. Weather warming through week through the 30s into the 40s by weekend, sez local forecast. Fish have been going good in all the usual places, with one guy having a 7-fish day Saturday at the French. Said no fish all day, then a bunch of loopers and couple coho from 4 to 6 p.m. Others reporting OK too. Spawn, crawlers, looper bugs under bobbers all bringing fish. Nothing phenomenal, but steady.

Remember: Fishing is better than work. I'd seriously suggest you hit the shore and let the fish decide whether you're their guy on that particular day.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 03-25-2002).]

hey stfcatfish thanks for the info i live north of duluth about 45 min.just south of eveleth.i just got laid off for a few weeks so i guess it might work out for the best. i'll have to try it with this weather that we are supposed to be getting,nice and warm later,Bruce grin.gif

I fished out of sucker bay yesterday. Basically my day started out bad and went to worse. I headed to twin bay to AL's to buy bait, a new bobber and some advice. well I get there and they aren't open on Tuesday's. go figure, looks like they are doing some remodeling, so I understand. So I find some bait, get to the "boat landind" in sucker bay and realize I don't have enough lead to get both of my lines out there. Needless to say I had one break me off, and I say two or three tailing out there. It made for a long drive back to the cities though. I can't wait for the stream to open up, I might have to get up there during the week again this year

I was on the French today and the Coho were hitting and a few loopers but nothing crazy. Between 5 and 8:30 lots of missed fish on crawlers. Those using spawn or waxies did little to nothing. Day to day it seems different baits work at different times. Whats new I guess. Thats my am report.

Hey Northlander:

I'll be down to the French tomorrow morning. Gotta work at 2 p.m.

Last time they were biting there on crawlers more than spawn, too. I missed three crawler bites by picking it up and setting the hook right away. Only fish I caught on crawlers came when I picked up the rod and pointed it at the fish and let him take his time. When he tightened up, I set, and had him. Nice buck.

stfcatfish I'll also be at the french in the am.Hopefully the fish will be hungry for whatever bait I happen to throw to them.It should be pretty easy to spot me,,,Lets just say many a small child has mistaken me for santa,hope to see you and put a face to the name.

------------------

HOOK-UM

Poutslayer:

Shoot, wish I'd have gotten your post in time.

I was there from shortly after 6 to 11 a.m. today (Thursday). I drive a beat-up blue 1985 Silverado 4X4 with Wisconsin plates and an ugly blue-and-white Fiberglas topper. I usually fish the Duluth side of the French, and park about half way between the guys who fish the mouth and the guys who fish the point a quarter mile back toward Duluth. That puts me usually about 200 yards down from the Duluth side of the river.

Where were you fishing? I only talked to one guy, who showed up around 10, I guess. He was a big guy built a little like Santa, and he saw that I had one coho and he watched me catch a nice 4-lb hen about 10:30. He had insulated camo rain gear and a weatherbeaten Duluth pack on his back. He drove a car and parked right behind me. Was that you?

How 'bout that sucky weather, too?

Two was all I got on the morning. Both came on crawlers, with one other bite on spawn but didn't hook it. A guy 30 feet away caught 3 loopers in 20 minutes on a looper bug under a bobber. I sat there and watched, and nothing bit on my looper bug. That's how it goes. Nice to go home with a couple fish.

The hen started squirting out eggs when I picked her up to head up the hill. I turned her upside down and squeezed out the other half of her load after I got home.

Got family coming up this weekend, so it looks like I'll be out of circulation until the end of next week. Darn holidays! Wish family could wait until after the loopers are done. I hardly want to give up a single day's fishing.

Fellow fishers

I am coming to the Duluth area on April 9 and would like to do some shore fishing in the morning. Can anyone help with fishing spots, bait to use, if using a bobber how far down. Am looking for cohos and loopers. Should be there by 8 am or so.If you wish to contact me not on the forum, you can contact me at [email protected]. Keep up the great work on this forum.

fishnut,if you can find a spot at the mouth of the french river or the lester,sucker you should find some fish use floating spawnbags with slip sinkers about 20-24"up from the hook. slinkys work the best for sinkers they dont get hung up as much,also try waxies on a looper bug under a weighted slip bobber 3-4 ft. my best luck has been using spawn on the bottom,if you are set up for fly fishing you might want to consider it i have watched guys just pound them when it seemed like nothing else would work good luck i hope i helped.i am going to try this weekend i will post on how i do later,Bruce grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

i never did make it to the shore to try for loopers,the rivers opened up around here and i had to get my beaver snares working again.with all this warm weather you sure would think they would be picking up some fish especially later in the afternoon tossing spoons i'll be there soon hoping to go this weekend,Later grin.gif

The loopers are in the rivers now. Guy I work with hooked three yesterday in the Lester on yarn flies and flyfishing gear between the London Road and Superior Street bridges. One got off, one snapped his tippet and he landed a nice buck. He was fishing for two hours in the early afternoon.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 04-17-2002).]

I'm planning on going out on Sunday, and was wondering how it's been going. Also, new to fishing for loopers, where could I get/buy spawn bags at? Any help would be nice.

Thanks, KSW

I'll assume you're passing through Duluth. Spawn bags (get the sinking kind if you're fishing in the rivers) can be had at Marine General on London Road, Gander Mountain out by the mall, Fisherman's Corner in Hermantown and the ICO convenience store at London Road and 21st Ave E. If you're not in town until Sunday and can't buy bait the night before, the ICO is open 24 hours and would be your best bet early Sunday morning. It's on your way out of town anyway. If you're rigged for fly fishing, guys have been doing well on nymphs. If spinning, spawn bag with a couple split shot a foot or two above the bag and allowed to tumble along the bottom works well. Same with a crawler. Don't be afraid of shallow water. Most guys in rivers fish the deeper pools, but you can avoid the clusterxxxx by going where they aren't. Plenty of fish close to the bank.

Good luck, and post your report after you're done.

i was at the lester on sat 4-20 fished the mouth from 10 am to 4:30pm didnt touch a fish tryed spawnbags and crawlers.i saw 4 fish caught in the first few holes on the river but i never fished it was hoping to catch a fresh run coming in but it didnt happen. pretty windy kinda hard to fish the mouth in the condition it's in right now its got a big hooking gravel bar going out in the lake later grin.gif

stfcatfish, Thanks for your help. We got up there about 5:30 and went up to the Sucker River and fished. Wasn't very crowded at first, but got pretty busy real fast. We got one fish about 25" and saw a couple of other people catching some.

Thanks again, KSW

Was up at the Split Rock on Thursday. Guys were catching a few loopers up to a quarter mile up the river, mostly on spawn. At least one was fresh out of the lake. Was up at the Stewart for awhile first thing this morning. Half a dozen guys there fishing: The river drifting spawn and crawlers, the mouth drifting spawn and crawlers, the lakeshore near the mouth with spoons, spinners, spawn and crawlers. Fish taken, 0. Fish hooked, 0. Fish seen, 0. Still beats working.