• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I know it might a bit early to start talking about loopers and steelhead, but how much snow and ice do you have up there this year. Are we looking at a mid march run possibly or a late march run?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Its good for Loopers now from shore. Look for heavy rains in April to spark a run.
March would be to early.

Loopers are staging near the Sucker and French rivers now, though they're not yet glued to the river mouths. They're being caught from shore on floating spawn bags off bottom rigs and looper bugs tippped with waxies under bobbers. I've been out two half-days in the last week or so, and brought home two cohos and three loopers from 5 to 8.5 pounds, two off bugs and one off a spawn bag. Both cohos came from spawn bags. While I haven't been in on a steelhead run yet, from what I hear and read Surface Tension is right: April is your month, and of course the loopers come right up in the rivers then too. There is no ice on the big lake, and precious little snow around. Most of what we've gotten has melted through the winter. We did get several inches the other day. That's still on the ground because of the cold snap. River outflow this spring will depend a lot on rainfall, I guess, because we had a very dry fall and a lot of whatever snowmelt we get probably will soak in somewhat instead of running off.

------------------
Steve ([email protected])

would anyone be willing to let me tag along on a trip for loopers or steelhead? I have fishe the shore a few times and caught brookies pink salmon and 1 laker that was 13 pounds

thanks
Tony

I dont fish it any more cuz of the crowds. If I did I would gladly take you along. I guess when my kid gets older I might start again. I remember the good'ol days of Steelheadin. Used to run down to the Betsy river in the LP of Michigan too. Brings back some good memories.

Question - Has anyone caught a Looper with
a spawn bag that was bought from
a local bait store. I haven't had
any luck. Should I just stick with
waxies until I catch one, then tie
up my own spawn bags?

Hey A1000HOOK:

I've caught a number of loopers from store-bought spawn bags, both from Marine General and the ICO store further up London Road. At about $6 a dozen, that's pricey, and the last female I got was full of spawn, so now I'm tying my own. But I've caught about half my loopers this winter/spring on a looper bug tipped with waxies under a slip bobber, so that's a fine way to go, too. Now, I fish a floating spawn bag off the bottom with one road and cast the bobber with the other.

------------------

Short Fat Guy:

I'm willing, but it'll be at least until next weekend before I go again. I've got this weekend and Friday and Monday off surrounding it, but it's going to be too dang cold to stand around in the open air all day, so I'll be ice fishing in my portable with the heater on. I have Friday mornings off, and likely will go a week from tomorrow in the morning. From here on in, weekends will get really packed around the French as the loopers stage near that river, as well as a few others. I usually just stick with the French because it's easy, there are fish there, and it's not horribly busy on the weekdays. If the weather warms unexpectedly this weekend, I may do loopers after all. Give me some contact info and I can get ahold of you if that happens.

------------------

A1000, These are all good ideas, but don't forget about the old Crawler. Hook once in the band air-up head and tail till it floats keep it anywhere from 18" to 30" off bottom. There have been days crawlers have out fished spawn 2/1

Yup, forgot about the crawlers. Duh! I've had good luck on them under a slip bobber in the fall off the Two Harbors breakwater. While casting spoons for salmon, I've caught loopers and steelies there off the crawler, fished about 8 feet below the bobber. Often, trout that follow the spoon in but don't eat it see the crawler dangling nearby and hit that.

------------------

I fished loopers for the first time last spring and really enjoyed it. I know most of the fishing is centered around the French and Sucker Rivers, but can a guy do a little exploring and still hope to catch a fish or two away from the crowds? In other words, are there any other shore spots or other rivers that hold a few fish? I'm not looking for any secret spots, but am just wondering about the possibilities out there. Do the mouths of any of the smaller, feeder creeks ever attract fish?

I know the rivers further up the shore don't get any loopers.

By the way, packed into Pine Lake this past weekend (in the BWCA west of Macfarland Lake) for some laker fishing and winter camping. Got one nice laker on a cisco, 36 feet down over about 42 feet of water. Fishing was very slow, but you can't beat spending some time in this country.

Thanks for the help,
John

Okay, I get the idea. Looper bugs, spawn sacks, and night crawlers... I usually have the best luck throwing Rooster tails when everyone else is sitting shoulder to shoulder trying to catch fish. Are the loopers in the streams yet? thanks for the help, now it is just a matter of getting up early, having a little breakfast at Art's Cafe and then on to the north shore.

Hey obsessed and pick:

As I understand it, the loopers are not yet in the rivers. The Lester, for example, where some have been stocked, is dammed up by a shoreline raised by a storm, and is not flowing into the lake. I'm told the fish move up the streams to spawn later, when snowmelt and spring rain swell them up and increase their discharge into the lake.

I can'r remember just how far up the shore they've been stocked, but I've caught them in fall as far north as the Stewart, just above Two Harbors. I know they're not stocked that high up. In spring, they concentrate around the rivers they've been stocked in. You can fish for them up around Stoney Point and Sucker Bay, as well as a few other places not next to the Sucker and French. But I'm not sure if all the fish are now concentrated in the lake adjacent to spawning rivers or if they're still ranging up and down the shore. Look for vehicles pulled over along the shore on Highway 61, but not near the Sucker and the French. There are plenty of little spots I see guys fishing in fairly often, but, like I say, I'm not sure if the loopers are still scattered out there. Surface Tension or someone with more experience, what do you think?

Here are some looper stocking/fishing facts from a 2001 article from Sam Cook in the Duluth News Tribune.

*50,000 -- Number of Kamloops rainbow trout stocked near French River annually
*35,000 -- Number of Kamloops rainbow trout stocked at Lester River annually
*7,500 -- Number of Kamloops rainbow trout stocked at Chester River annually
*641 -- Estimated number of Kamloops rainbows (including hatchery-reared steelhead) harvested at Sucker River in 1999 (latest year available)
*443 -- Estimated number of Kamloops rainbows harvested at French River in 1999
*355 -- Estimated number of Kamloops rainbows harvested at Lester River in 1999
*10 -- Average hours required to catch a Kamloops rainbow trout more than 16 inches long in Lake Superior near French River (1999)
*8 -- Average hours required to catch a Kamloops rainbow trout more than 16 inches long at Lester River (1999)
*4 -- Average hours required to catch a Kamloops rainbow trout more than 16 inches long at Sucker River (1999)

Source: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

As you can see, the unsung place is the Lester. I see very few people fishing there on my way to or from the French, and there are a ton of loopers stocked there. I suppose fishing pressure picks up there as the weather warms later and the fish move more into the rivers.

------------------

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-28-2002).]

yeah we fished teh lester last year, standing on the ice flows. I have pictures to prove it too. Of course in the pictures you can see a few reasons why we were on the flows. I guess when the fish aren't biting and you go to Fitger's for lunch and a couple beers, standing on ice flows sounds like a good idea at the time. I have fished stoney point and sucker bay too. I guess it will be a matter of getting away from people and getting lucky then. Of course I have found that if we get up there early on a Sunday, the fishing doesn't pick up until after church.

Just and observation.

Hey Tony:

I've decided to get out the expedition parka, which has been sitting in my closet all this warm winter, and brave the cold for some looper fishing tomorrow. Hope my line doesn't freeze to the reel. If you're free, give me a post or phone (715) 399-8899. Also, a reminder, new Minnesota license needed tomorrow.

------------------

catfish.... thanks for the offer but i cant go tommorow... tore some ligaments in my ankle last night at basketball... Ill keep your number and give you a call when i can walk again.

Thanks,
Tony

Shortfatguy...Don't play a contact sport like basketball and injure yourself, drink beer and feel proud that your you and that is all that matters!

Hey how's the fishing been through the ice in your back yard ponds? A friend told me he caught a 6 pound Rainbow out of the pit on the left side of the old highway. Could this be?

I guess the name kinda throws you off... I,m 6'6" 190 lbs. Thanks for the advice though. As for the fishing around Buhl.... Couldnt tell you as I havnt fished since Spearing season ended...and yes it is possible he got a 6pounder outof there...havnt seen one that big myself but 3 years ago i got one around 5 pounds so it could happen... but remember you are dealing with a fisherman here...if he said it was 6 lbs it was probably only 4.5...lol

Tony

Hey Real Tall Guy:

Jeez, Tony, and here I thought when we went looper fishing I'd have to help you get around because you were so short and fat. You're a good 9 inches taller and 40 pounds lighter than me. Guess YOU'LL have to help ME around. Not to mention giving me weather reports. At your 6 foot, 6 inch elevation, I'm sure the weather's different than it is down where I am.

I did get out Friday morning and early afternoon for those wonderful loopers before my health went south (I'm better now). It was cold, clear and calm. Only one other guy was around near the French. Cold really does keep the riff-raff out. I saw a few fish rolling but there was NO action until the wind picked up out of the south and started blowing in some chop and waves. Then I had two good bites in an hour on floating spawn bags (none on looper bugs under bobber or floating crawler) and landed a 5 pound female. More spawn for the looper bag factory. Quit about 1:30 p.m.

I'll probably try tomorrow. Supposed to be up to 15 to 20 degrees. South winds 15 or better mean it'll be blowing straight in. Cold on the face, but good for the fishing. Cloudy too.

Drop me a line when you're ready for loopers, or call tomorrow for a from-the-shore report. On the cell it's (218) 940-3340.

------------------

Catfish or anyone: Could you please explain the different riggings for catching loopers. How do you rig for 1. Looper bugs/waxies? 2. night crawlers? 3. spawn bags? I have tentative plans to try and catch one of these Saturday morning. Would French river be a good bet? Stoney Point? I've heard early is best. Daybreak? Any advice would be appreciated. Let me know if any of you guys have similar plans Saturday morning and maybe we can say hello. Thanks
Jim

Hey Mnfisher:

Here comes a long one.

The French is the best general bet, though an expert told me today that the loopers aren't staged yet near their spawning rivers and can still be caught from the other side of Stoney Point all the way down to the Lester. If you start at the French and get no joy, you can decide if you want to wait it out or move. That's the joy of fishing.

The expert told me that, while the DNR does stock thousands of loopers in the Lester, Sucker and a couple other places, the vast majority of those fish don't return there. Young loopers inprint on their native streams in their first year. The loopers are released about a year old, so even though they're released at all those other places, they've imprinted on the French River, because they're raised at that hatchery. So the vast majority of all loopers stocked along the shore return each spring to spawn in the French.

1. Looper bugs: These are available at fishing stores for about $1.50 each. Get waxworms too, and tip one or two on the bug. Or an inch of nightcrawler tail. Black, brown and purple bugs seem to work best. Use a permanent black magic marker to touch up bug heads that get de-painted by banging on rocks. Rig under a Ross bobber, also available at fishing stores for about $4. It's a custom made weighted bobber that casts a mile. You can rig it as a slip bobber or put the stop in it (included with bobber) to fish it at a fixed depth. If it's really cold, slip bobbering doesn't work well (line ices up). Typical is from 3 to 5 feet down. Cast as far out as you can and let the waves give the bug its action. No need to jerk.

2. Crawler/spawn bag. These are rigged the same. Slip sinker and bead above a barrel swivel, then a leader to your bare hook. Anywhere from 1.5 feet to 3 foot leader. Floating spawn bags float, crawlers don't. Most guys get a worm blower, hook the crawler once through the collar and pop some air in the head and tail, enough to get it floating.

Some loopers bite hard, others soft. And don't be surprised if you find a few small coho.

The biggest reason to get to the French early on a Saturday is not necessarily because the fishing's better, but because you can get a spot to fish then. March sort of kicks off the crowds. Remember, only one rod if within 100 yards of a river mouth, two if further than 100 yards. I stay 100 away, and fish one floating rig off the bottom and one bobber rig to maximize my chances. Those snagless Lindy flexible sinkers will keep you from losing a lot of rigs in the rocks, though most guys who fish loopers a lot make their own with swivels, hockey skate laces and lead shot. Those Lindys are way pricey.

Morning seems to be best on some days, not best on others. Clear, calm conditions seem to be the worst. If it's clear, hope for wind or that it'll cloud up. Just a general rule, though. They can hit any time of day.

Good luck.

------------------

Steve: Thanks for the great infomation. I'll let you know how I do when I get out. This is a great forum. Sure wish i could have gotten out with you guys last weekend, but I just couldn't make it. Maybe another time. Jim

Mnfisher:

See you there one of these days. If you see a blue 1985 Chevy Silverado 4X4 with an ugly blue and white topper, that'll be me.

Forgot to mention one thing about looper tps. For rod holders, most guys just use a metal rod duct-taped to a length of PVC. It's easy to pound it into a beach with a rock, or if you're fishing on rock, the rod goes into cracks real nice. Gotta have a rod holder unless you're bobbering.

Also, check out "looper scent" on this forum. Surface Tension and I are having a discussion, though he's way more experienced on the North Shore than I am.

------------------

Sounds like catfish has got is taken good care of ya. Good Job.

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out catfish...this novice looper angler will take heed of your advice. Good to see some looper talk going on...oh yeah, how do you prepare your spawn? Ive never tied my own bags and would like to try it, but how do you cure it and all that?

Hey Biff:

You asked for it, you got it.

When I get a hen (female looper), I pull out the spawn and put it in a baggie in the fridge until I'm ready to use it. No aging, seasoning, curing, etc., required. The fresher the better.

I get the 3 inch by 3 inch mesh squares already cut out and packaged at fishing stores for about $2 for about 50 or 60. Any color you like. I buy a bag of mini marshmallows for a couple bucks because I'm making floating bags, and steal a spool of my wife's sewing thread. Instead of buying the expensive borax from fishing stores, which has pretty colors, I buy the 20-mule-team borax from grocery stores. You get a lot more for a lot less money, and it does the same thing. Also, it dissolves as soon as it hits the lake, so the pretty colored stuff only attracts fishermen, not fish.

I sprinkle a bunch of borax in a bowl, lay in the spawn and shake it all around so the borax daubs up the slimy spawn moisture. Don't skimp on the borax. I cut several lengths of thread ahead of time, because when you've got the bag ready for tying, you don't have the hands to cut thread then. On a cutting board, I lay a mesh square. In the center, I put a glob of about 12 to 15 looper eggs (salmon eggs, if you get a fall-run salmon with spawn, run bigger, and you can use fewer of them). Atop the glob, I put a marshmallow. I gather up the bag's corners and the rest of the slack mesh and twist the whole works, holding onto the top with two fingers and twisting the bag itself until it's all tight. Too tight and you burst the eggs, too loose and it all sags all over. With the marshmallow on top, you protect the eggs from the worst of the pressure. You'll get the hang of it. Then I wrap the thread tightly around the top half a dozen times, tie it in a knot, trim the excess with a scissors, and presto, you have a spawn bag. One hen will give you enough spawn to tie scores and scores of spawn bags. Some guys just keep them in the fridge, where they'll last a real long time. Others freeze them until they need them.

Maybe other guys do it a bit different. I've only made up two batches since I started looper fishing in September, so I'm no expert. They've been working well for me, though.

Takes awhile to make them, but it only costs pennies per bag, instead of the $6 per dozen they cost in stores.

Also, when the eggs turn white after they've been in the lake awhile, put on a new spawn bag. The fresher they are, the longer they'll last. Usually, you'll have a good hour or better.

Good luck and good fishing.

------------------

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 03-07-2002).]

Hi, I just joined. Have been reading for a couple of days now. great thing you guys have here.

I fished last spring (almost every morning 5:30-8:15 I had class at 9:00) and want to do it again this spring, been out twice. The French both times. I have still not caught a fish, been using looper bugs, with waxies, between 3 and 4 feet below a bobber. usually fish by the mouth or within 100 yards of it. Any reasons I wouldn't be catching any fish?? I only have a 6' spinning rod so I can't get it out quite as far as some guys, but I can still get it out there a ways. Any other suggestions would be appreicated.

Jeff ([email protected])
I did fish the lester last spring just below the RR bridge when most of the river was still frozen, got 12 unclipped loopers or steelhead between 10 and 15 inches one morning. I imagine that they were naturaly reproduced, which is promising.

Just stay with it, Jeff. Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Don't worry about not getting it out there a mile. It's nice sometimes, but loopers come in really close, too. Change the colors of your looper bugs and roam up and down the shore a quarter mile in each direction from the French. Loopers move around a lot. You'll happen onto some soon. If you can grab a second rod, even if it's also only 6 feet long, you can fish a spawn bag or crawler off the bottom. You can really sling a spawn bag out far with enough weight (they never come off the hook), and you can make up for a short rod (line gets caught in the waves more) by using a longer rod holder.

------------------