• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anybody witnessing the annual May Fly hatch yet? I'm not talking about the Midge Fly (smaller moth-like insect) or the Fish Fly (Large Mosquito looking insect) but the actual May fly that is around 2 to 3 inches long with a brown body and wings. These flies are quite a bit more of a nuisance than the others in that they fly up and try clinging to you.

When these flies are hatching we've had some (not a lot, but some) luck rigging up a snell with a single red bead on a red hook and a piece of night crawler dragged across the bottom of a mud flat. This is where the nymphs (larvae) of the may flies come from and the walleyes feed on them before they morph in the actual may fly form.

Curious to know what lakes have them and if they're hatching yet.

I am sure you are well aware as I have seen you post on Reno before that Reno had one of the largest hatches I have ever seen last week into the weekend. Early on Saturday morning when the lake was still somewhat calm you could see the junk all over the water...It looked like Mayfly soup.

Take care!

May flies on Reno last weekend? I was up there last weekend and saw all of 3 may flies caught in some spider webs. I suspected we'd be near the hatch but I was unaware of anything in progress at the time. We even took a cruise around the perimeter of the whole lake on Sunday and never saw a thing.

Anybody seeing anything more recently?

I just got a call from my dad who is up on Ida and apparently the yard was covered with them this morning.