• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing around William o'Brian state park...

CALVINIST

I was thinking of camping out there with my family sometime this summer. I have a 16' boat suitable for the river. Any good fishing within a mile or two of the park? I hear you can catch white bass in the area. Smallies? Walleye? Pannies?

Thanks

We fish down there some. Sometimes just beating the bank with crawfish or firetiger colored shadraps works well for the smallmouth and silver bass...even a northern sometimes. Then trolling those same shadraps can work well for walleyes. Last time down we caught some small saugers doing this in about 6-8 fow. Then we also will anchor in a bend in the river where the water gets a little deeper, and try night crawlers on the bottom...catch a lot of rough fish this way...but have also pulled walleyes and smallmouth. So as far as one particular spot on the river....I still have not found it...maybe someone else has...but we just pick fish up here and there. Good luck...have fun.

Thanks for the report Jake. I remember when I was a bit younger we used to go down to Bayport when the power plant was cooking, and we would catch those silvers on shallow running rapalas. I don't recall if they are good eating though.

Pally (my dad) has smoked the silvers before...pretty good stuff. I've never had them pan fried...but I do see some people keep them...so maybe they're decent. I'll let you know if I fish the river at all this week. I have a william obrien park sticker...so i run down there from time to time.

You might want to try fishing the islands just north of where the apple river comes in. Trolling crankbaits and livebaits rigs has taken a few eyes in this area. I think it is hot spots that has a map that shows this area also and might be a help.

For the most action bring lots of night crawlers. Cant think of a fish in the river that wont bite on a crawler.

There are alot of good spots along the border of the park. The rock along the shoreline is a good place to start and usually holds an eye or two but the bottom is a jig eating monster. You can even find some nice sunfish along the rocks and in the hole in the channel leading to the boat launch. The islands can be good and especially the area where the apple river comes in. There is also a small area slightly upstream from the border of the park where there is a nice eddy. I typically fish the top of the border north to the marine landing. Couple shallow areas but with the recent rains river should be up a bit. Favorite technique casting firetiger shad raps #5-7 to shore and drifting downstream then troll back upriver. I jig w minnows in the deeper holes if casting and trolling don't get me on some active fish. Silverbass are pretty tasty but you have to clean the fatline off the underside of the fillet. Taste like crappie when panfried. Need a pretty large fish to get decent fillets.

• 1 month later...

I made a weekend reservation at William O'Brian for the second week of september. My family and my brother's family. How is the launch there? Deep enough to get my 16' boat out? Smallies, wallys, pannies, silvers, and whatever else. Maybe cats. I definitely want my 5 year old son, Lucas to catch some rough fish. I'll let y'all know how we do. Thanks for the tips!

William O'Brien has a nice, paved launch...I would be surprised if you had problems launching there. It sits back in a lagoon type area...so you don't have to deal with current...and there is not much wind down there usually. Nice spot.

Bring lots of crawlers and use them on jigs or slip sinker rigs. Cant think of a fish that swims in the river that wont bite acrawler. Just let them sit on the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

Me and Carp-Fisher are heading to the William O'Brian launch this saturday and fish the area. Hopefully the post-frontal conditions doesn't shut the fishing down too much.

Lets see here...Casey you caught 4 or 5 smallmouth up to about 14", a nice walleye, a sheephead, and a trophy shad. I caught 2 smallmouth (small), a small walleye, two decent channel cats, and the biggest softshell turtle I've seen. Talk about (Contact US Regarding This Word). I'd say the outing was a definite success and now you know some areas to key on during your upcoming camping outing.

My son and I were out today for 'drowning nightcrawlers' off the shore. We had no problem catching a few suckers, some 'unknowns' (I will investigate later), 2 very small smallies. Fun for a father to bring his 8 y/o for a night of camping/fishing.

The water is quite low. There were people that did not venture to go past the island (either way) to get to the main part of the river. A canoe would have been perfect today!

I'd suggest to call the park to ask advice on if your boat will make it.

The 'coons got into the camp site and stole our marshmallows, crackers and breakfast cereal last evening. Our fault for not having it stowed away. We were not the only campers to have visitors either.

We fished Alice lake last evening as well. There are as many very small bluegills as you would like. I also landed a decent (14") large mouth off a night crawler.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be heading out to the river (launching at O'Brian) monday morning with my son, Lucas. He is only 5, but he's been doggin' me to take him to the river...funny kid. Hopefully I can get him onto a nice sized fish, any fish will do. You should hear how pumped up he gets when he gets even a small bass on! I'll go up the river from there, and focus on and around some of the deeper holes. Probably crank the shoreline as well. Any reports on launching conditions would be welcome. Should be beautiful weather. Tunrevir, any luck of late?

Calvinist, I am looking at heading up to the Franconia landing Saturday evening. I will hopefully get out about 3 or 3:30. Hey if you and Lucas want to hook up I will not be available however, untill About 3 or so. Have plans to attend the fair with my wife, 5 y.o. daughter and 3 y.o. son(both fish but haven't really fully gotten the itch yet!) MY SOON TO BE 1 YR. OLD SHE IS GOING TO BE WITH GRANDMA& GRANDPA!. I was over to Bruce, WI last week and stuck some nice smallies. The big dog for the weekend was a 21" smallie! I caught a couple of 18-181/2 fish and alot of 12-14" fish. The river is low and the fish are biting. I think with the recent rain the Croix should turn on! I have to go to a wedding this evening, the fair tomorrow, but I am planning to hit the Croix Sat evening. Have a few things I am experimenting with, I have to try... More 3-way riggin, bottom bouncing and maybe even a snap weight or two.. I gotta believe that the fish that you mark down deep have to bite at sometime! Hey, If you guys get out this weekend post a report. I am planning on hitting the Franconia landing. If you ned some guidance with the access and where to fish post a note and maybe we can meet up and fish the area! I'll check tomorrow in the early a.m. and let you know when I will plan to get up that way! If not, Catch the big ones, catch the small ones and keep a fish or two for dinner, Good luck! I'l post how I didi if I don"t see you. Red Lowe? 35h.p.? Johnson, evinrude,Merc or what? Short memory, sorry. Have a super day, Luke will catch the biggest fish you know that right? Lucky little devil! Any time spent on the water is good time spent together..He will not forget it!

Tunrevir~

Hey revirtun My dad MY brother and i will be out there tommorow morning earlier but may make a day of it so there is a chance we may bump paths. hope to see you out there.

tunrevir,

Red Lowe 35 hp. Johnson. Like I said, probably get out there monday morning for a spell. I got some new cranks I want to try, and with Lucas, we'll probably just put out some crawlers and minnows etc. on the bottom and see what bites...he wants to catch a catfish REALLY bad! I'll be doing the weekend thing at O'Brian on sept. 9-11. with my family. I'll keep an eye out here for a post, and will also let you know how we did. Good luck, and have fun at the fair. (Make sure you go on "The Zipper"! grin.gifcrazy.gif)

Walleyeslayer14, I was planning on giving you guys a call this evening but it loks like you are already gonna be out and aboput. I will have the "Tin Can" today my high buck rig! Hey, leave a few fish for me will you guys. Maybe I'll see you out there! I did see you the other day at the lights in Flake drving a silver Grand Am...won't be long and you'll be borrowing the boat, truck ect.! Have a great day let me know how you guys do today! Calvinist, I may just buzz down towards O'brien and introduce myself the weekend of the 9-11th.

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

It was all in all a slow day on the river picking up some real small walleyes and only a few crappies. the few we did catch were really un agresive. there is no such thing as time wasted on the river tho.

Tuntevir,

If you don't see me on the river, I'll be on the Lower Campsite, slot #6. The one by the river.

• 3 weeks later...

Our weekend camping outing was pretty sucessful. The hot weather was countered by the strong breeze. Caught a few fish, not alot. a few smallies, some hammerhandle pike, a mooneye, and a token 27" muskie, which was fun. Also had some bites at night on chicken livers, which I suspect were cats. Got hung up on sand a few times, but what can you expect? Can't wait for the water temps to fall a bit, then the bite will really pick up. All in all, it is a nice part of the river, one I'll have to fish more often. I eyed a couple good camping spots for future reference, too wink.gif.