• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What kind of reels do you use? Spinners or Baitcasters?

TSCTSC

Question

I see a lot of pros on TV using baitcasters to fish, esp bass. What is the deal with it? Is it really that good for casting and for fishing. I tried one for a while and found that I could cast and fish better with a spinner. Also, because u need to keep your thumb on the line to prevent a catastrophe, I feel baitcasters do not cast that far. In addition, when you change lure, you might also need to adjust the drag on the baitcaster reel which is a whole lot of hassle. So why do people still use baitcaster? confused.gif

6 answers to this question

Casting reels work great for just that, casting. I feel I can cast spinners and cranks at a considerably faster rate with a casting reel than a spinning reel, as well as start my retrieve faster and maintain a more consistent retreive speed.

Spinning reels work great for live bait fishing, bobbers, jigging, and some light-lure applications (trout spinners, beetle spins, etc.). Depending on the rod/reel combo, you can cast some lighter stuff with baitcasters, but not as accurately.

If you like to cast and retreive, then it would be worth giving a casting reel a shot. I don't adjust my drag each time when I do it, but it does take some getting used to, in terms of brake/magnetic adjustments.

I used to just use my spinning reels for everything, bass fishing and casting spinners/cranks included. Got sick off all the hassel of it this year and finally went out and dropped the money on a new rod and used reel. Abu 6500C, took me awhile to get used to casting it, but spooled with 12lb mono It will cast a crank a country mile, and the retreive is much much smoother, more power to get fish up out of the weeds, and more comfortable to fish with. All I wish for now is that it had a thumb bar or that I had purchased a low profile reel.

Spinning reels get the nod for everything else other than bassin' and river fishing.

I use baitcaster reels and rods for casting my spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and cranks. I'm able to reel in a little faster and have a bit more control with this set-up.

You mention that the drag is hard to set?!? Not nearly the case once you figure out how to use a baitcaster. They are actually relatively easy to use.

Each baitcaster should have a star drag on it that you set the drag for your reel. I think the hassel you have is that your not setting the spool speed to your bait. THIS is necessary otherwise if you set your spool to spin freely and you have a light weighted bait, you'll birds nest everytime. Each time you switch baits you'll have to set the spool speed to the lure you are fishing with.

AND I could be wrong on your reel knowledge assumption as well

I also use spinning reels/rods for bassin applications where I'd be pitching plastics like a trick stick, wacky style, tubes or texas rig set up. Probably because I feel more comfortable with sensing taps since I'm right handed and is my dominant hand.

I'm like B.R.K. on this one. I like the accuracy I can get with a baitcaster. And, I think you can cast farther with the baitcaster. I throw lighter things and plastics with the spinning gear. It's easier and I like the rod in my right hand for this. Maybe I should just pony-up for the Shimano Super-Free, though smile.gif

Yes, I agree with you 100% Ralph on accuracy. I can definately hit my target a lot easier with a bait caster than I can with my spinning gear.

I have used spinning reels for my casting applications (among others) for the past few years...but...I am using a baitcaster more this year, and trying to get used to it. The reason is that you will get a lot less line twist with a baitcaster than with a spinning reel.

It is taking some getting used to, but I am slowly getting better...practice is the only way...and you will have to go through many bird's nests before you get good at it. At least, I have...