• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Recommended Battery Charger

Ralph Wiggum

Question

I'm looking for a new battery charger for a deep-cycle battery. I don't need anything fancy, just something that'll get the job done. What should I look for when choosing one?

9 answers to this question

low power slow trickle charging is the way to go, BUT good battery chargers also have adjustable settings for when you need a quicker charge or even a "starter" setting for a boost with starting on a dead or almost dead battery. Timers are a nice luxury option too...

I would strongly recommend going with minnkota. They are fully waterproof and are fully automatic. And if you only need to charge one battery, then a single bank will only put you back about 50-60 USD. And make sure that it has at least 5 amp to charge it up reasonably quick. And it is small and there are lights to let you know if it is full, charging or wrong connection. Only thing is that you need to run the cables to connect the charger. Also...I would recommend and assume that you are asking for inboard chargers, right?

Sorry, should've specified. No, I am looking for just a run-of-the-mill charger, not an onboard charger.

I think Minnkota and a few of the other name brands have portable multi-stage chargers. Same principal as the on-boards, just a different case and single bank only.

Those new Vector chargers look pretty decent too. Have seen them at Wally, Fleet-Farm, etc.

Hmmm....I would highly recommend you getting a inboard charger from Minnkota. If you still wanna go for portable, Minnkota do have a small one for single battery. Pretty cheap too. Even Gander Mtn has it.

An inboard charger won't do much with a 9.8 hp mercury on a 14 foot boat.

I use a "run of the mill" type charger I picked up at Sears for $40-$50 I think. It has all kinds of options: 6/12 volt; 2/10/60 amp (60 is for starting); manual, automatic, and automatic deep cycle charging options. The automatic charging options will quit charging when it gets to be a full charge so you don't have to worry about over charging. I charge my deep cycle on 12V, 2amp, automatic deep cycle and the battery is still working out great after 2 years now.

I think it's a pretty versitile charger. Not waterproof like onboard units but I can use it to start my truck if the battery is dead. (works too!) crazy.gif

Ralph-

I use a battery charger made by Century available at Northern Tool. It'll cost you about $70. It is the only Century charger they have that works for deep cycle batteries. It also charges regular automotive batteries, motorcycle & lawnmower battereries, and can be used to start your dead vehicle.

15 amp mode for normal charging & 2 amp mode for trickle charging. Charges both 6 & 12 volt batteries.

My opinion is this is about as "run-of-the-mill" as you can get and still have all the versatility for charging other batteries.