• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

looking for bitz & 1850 ashbay

I am coming to rainy on the 12th of July. Both of you gave me some very good info last year. Looking forward to hearing from both of you. Thanks, Brownfish

Was just up last weekend. The smallies moved in to spawn on Saturday by me. Overall the fish were pretty lethargic. Could only get the smallies to pick up tube jigs that were laying right on their beds - almost had to site fish them. Wouldn't chase anything. Had some good fishing on a smaller portage lake though. One of the kids with us had the biggest smallie on I've ever seen but we lost it at the boat. I tried Gulp for the first time and the walleyes and smallies would actually eat it. I'm a believer now. We'll be up 4th of July weekend so post again or email me and I can give you some thoughts.

Hello Ashbay.

Could you provide some details about your experience with Gulp? How were you fishing it, what item, what color?

Regards,

Wayne

Hey BR, glad you made use of the info, we won't get there much before you, but from previous experiance mid july, the smallies seem to be starting down a little deeper off the rocky points and reefs. Last yr we got in mid august and finding the smallies was a bit more difficult.

Best plugs for us around early to mid july have been shad raps (more bright colors) and original raps. Don't recall what your looking for but Ash bay and ash narrows always seem to work for us. Steamboat shoals and most of the small islands running down the east side of the mid part of the lake (from little canoe to Cheery island) seem to always have lots of options. Last yr we found the eyes when the wind was breaking on the west shore lines (assume pushing the bait fish into the rocks) and then at the transitions on the open reefs. I talked to Ed a couple of days ago, and the guys in camp now are picking up some big northerns (12 # plus) and sm. Ed said the eyes having not started the good bite, so another few weeks should work great. We were not going to be able to get there until late July, but are heading out the first week now. Can't wait.

I will let you know when I hear something else. good luck.

Bitz

water is higher this year than 2 yrs ago when we got up the first of july, so easier to move around and I think will help with the fishing.

We were fishing 1/16th and 1/8th oz jigs with the three inch gulp white grub (like a Mr. Twister tail). The fish wouldn't chase anything so we were vertical jigging or just barely moving it along the bottom. We had one walleye we had to keep because it swallowed it so far down it's gullet. The gulp stayed on the jigs well too. My only complaint was the action of the tails. Some of them would barely twirl while some had ok action. Not nearly the spin you get out of a mister twister, especially at slower speeds. But overall well worth the cost in my opinion. Hope that helps.

I'm a newbie here but having been viewing the forum for several months. The discussion on "gulp" caught my attention. Last week I used 3" gulp tails on 1/4 oz jig heads for the first time. I was fishing walk-in lakes just north of Rainy - near Mine Centre. They were as effective as live bait on walleyes when the fish were biting. But after being bitten a few times the tail action fell apart. I will continue to use them but I'll take more next time and switch to new much more frequently. A good tail but not as durable as twisters and less tail action than twisters and power grubs.

Hey BF, we are going to be north of Tug point from 9 July thru the next sat. we will be in a new cream Crestliner with a Johnson 40 (side console) and usually fish east towards mcdonald inlet, west towards nw bay or up around steamboat rock and ash narrows. if you see us, stop by and say hello. Where are you staying.

Bitz

Bitz, We will be staying on waller island from the 11th of July to the 20th. We will mainly be targeting smallies. We usually fish ash bay, Mcdonald's inlet and around little canoe. We will be in a blue 17' Lund with a 90 merc. Our TN registration will give us away. Thanks for the info on the flo raps 2 years ago. It worked well for us on 3 different days. We usually fish flukes,tubes and topwater. Any help on locations or lures will be appreciated. Also 1850 Ashbay keep me posted as well. Thanks again and good fishing. Brownfish

Ashbay,

Thanks for the info. Paula and I will be up 6/25 and will certainly visit Ash Bay during the stay. I want to try the Gulp nightcrawlers. I'll bet those big brown fish in your neck of the lake will find them to be tasty. We will be in a green Ranger 619. Give us a shout if you are out and about.

Regards,

Wayne

Hey North Arm folks - Since you know the area up there very well, does property up there ever switch hands? I would love to have the opportunity to land some property again up there. We used to catch smallies by the ton. That area is the best on the lake, or at least an equal to the Seine Bay folks.

2Door

Hey 2 Door. All I can say is bring lots of $$. My dad purchased the place in 1960 for about 5000$. He sold it in about 1980 for about$20000 (after lots of updates,like indoor plumbing, hot water etc) Those folks sold it about 4 yrs later for about the same price. Last I knew, Rick had sold it about 3 yrs ago for about 30K U.S. We looked a building site on an island east of Highrock (Camp Ontario) last yr (20 acres) for about 220K US (no dock, no water, nothing except about 1/3 of the island) Ed told me that someone from FF had purchased several islands yrs ago and a 2acre one sold for 65000, but it was pretty much just a big rock. Also, my understanding is that you can't buy land from the Crown anymore, they are now subdividing the islands into small lots, so the only land other than that, is from 1 person to another.

You can check the real estate web sites in FF and IFalls for more info.

Sure wish I had known in 1980 I would be living in MN.

Bitz

There's islands that come up but not very often. Pitcairn Island in Ashbay was for sale last year. They were asking $219,000 US and it sold last summer. I believe that was the last private land in the bay that didn't have a cabin. There's three canadian realty places to watch. Cousineau's, Tichborns and Rainy Lake Realty. They all have websites. There's also an island for sale in the Outdoor News in the North Arm but you don't want to see the price. About triple what was asked for Pitcairn.

We'll be up 4th of July and then the 14th - 17th. If any of you guys are in Ashbay swing by. We've got the long dock that sits on a rock with stairs at the end that go to a floater.

We nailed two 29" walleyes, a 28", a 26" and two 25" last week. It was great fishing...

Does anyone know of a place to rent up on the North end? I fished that area 20yrs ago and would love to spend some time back there. I have spent most of these years fishing down by Kettle Falls. Thanks Phil

Did anyone ever buy the resort with cabins at the mouth of the little canoe river? That place would be a wonderful place to rehab and stay at. I think I am heading up the north end to catch a few smallies and make it up to the devils cascade this weekend. Never have seen it and we used to own land up there....

2Door

Hey 2 Door, that would be the little canoe lodge. My dad's cabin (what used to be his) is the cabin across from LCL. We called it Camp Geemani (ojbiway for camp little canoe) LCL was built in the late 50's early 60's by Bill Meyers who then sold it and started Camp Ontario (highrock island)Even in the 70's the small cabins were starting to need some work and it had 3 different owners after Bill sold it. It used to be fair, but they always ran the generator 23hrs / day so my parents really didn't like the place. I stopped in in 97 and we talked to the owner and he was working at fixing it up, but haven't seen much change in the last 8 yrs. Unless they worked alot on it last yr, I would guess a picture from 64 would look alot like today with out some docks that used to be there.

The folks that purchased my dad's cabin a couple of yrs ago, have really worked on it and have added some more rooms and jacked the building up and it looks pretty good.

I am heading up there next week and planned on stopping, maybe I can ask about it for you if you don't find out make another post.

There is a road (that may be to loose a word for it) that now comes in from the tar road that goes along the east end of rainy and they have a spot on the east side about 300 yrds down from Camp Geemani that if it is dry and the road is not washed out, you could actually put a boat in there. That land used to be available also, but don't know now. Everything from Camp Geemani north is wilderness area and can't be purchased.

Bitz

bitz/1850 ashbay

I've fished NW Bay for probably 20 years now and really enjoy making the trip up into Ash Bay. What a magnificant view and drive. Couple years ago my wife and I went into the small bay located basically in the very northeastern portion of Ash Bay. Man were the big pike in there! They all looked like tree logs lying on the bottom (it was in May and I'm sure they were warming themselves). Tried to get them to bite, threw everything in the tacklebox at them. Had one big one on, but it got off. Ended up catching a couple of the small 8-pounders in there...yes, small 8-pounders. There were some that appeared to go up to 20 pounds or better!

Anyway, one thing I was wondering about is if there is any walleye fishing to be had in Ash Bay. I know the smallies and pike are excellent up there, but I've never tried for walleyes. Do you catch many up there and is there any size to them? Also wondering what depth they hang around in mid-July. Not looking for specific spots to fish, just if they're in there, whether there's a good population of them in there, and what depths they hang around at this time of year.

Also, is there any walleye fishing to be had in Paddy Bay? Been there a couple times and have caught some smaller bass, but never tried for the walleyes here either.

Thanks in advance for the info!

There are walleyes in ashbay but we do much better out in the main basin for 'eyes so we don't target them much in ash (probably should just to save some gas). We usually just fish the big pike and smallies in ash. We tried for walleyes harder when we first started fishing up there but always ended up catching smallies and it got frustrating (tough problem!). The walleyes are there but I think they're more abundant in the main basin. We have picked up a few in Paddy bay too, but it's about the same as ash. Hope that helps.

1850 ashbay,

Is there any current where paddy bay flows into ash bay?

I have never went into paddy bay but was planning to do so this year. We will be in a blue lund with a mercury. We will try and look you up while we are there. What do you think about the smallie fishing in paddy bay as compared to ash bay and ash narrows? Also bitz, I will try and locate you also. We will be arriving on Rainy on the 11th and will be fishing starting on the 12th. We can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to all. Brownfish

to be honest, we have never really targeted the eye in ash or paddy (have not been to paddy for years, seems like the effort to get there always gets short cut by the smallies in ash bay) growing up, we usually target the eyes on the red/black markers out on the main lake (the humps)trolling with what is now called a lindy rig, long before the lindy boys made it famous (frogs always seemed to work very well). Seems like if I was going to run as far as paddy/ash from the south end of the north side, I would either go to nw bay or towards the big canoe area. ash/paddy are not bad from GMills/little canoe for a nice day trip. Just some big water to cross if the wind comes up.

We are staying at Ed's place just east of G Mills island (halfmoon bay) hope to see you while there. we are also getting anxious...

Bitz

brownfish

I don't know if there is much of any current going through the narrows to Paddy Bay (I don't think there is). Be somewhat cautious when you hit the narrows from Ash to Paddy as there is a rock hump that comes up to 1' towards the right (eastern) side of the narrows. Keep your eye out for bald eagles too as when I went through there two years ago, there were probably 8 birds just in the area of the narrows.

As for bass fishing, I don't do a lot of smallie fishing, but what little I did do in Paddy was ok. Keep in mind I only fished a portion of the eastern-most shoreline for about 30 minutes and ended up catching a number of smaller smallies...in the 1/2 pound to 1.5 pound range. Also take some caution in that the rocks, huge ones, come up very quickly on the eastern side by shore. I was trolling out in deeper water casting to shore when I'd look ahead of me and suddenly see huge boulders under the boat. I don't have my map in front of me, but if I recall, we started fishing by an island of sorts on the far east end of the bay, south side, and trolled going northward. My wife and I took a pleasure drive up there after dinner one night and didn't have much time for fishing as we needed to head back because it was starting to get dark out. However, I noticed some real nice big boulders, rocks and such along the shoreline that dropped off into deep water. Looked like pretty good bass habitat.

One other good note...we were the ONLY boat in the entire bay...nobody else. I do remember seeing one cabin on the north shore toward the central or eastern part of the bay, but that was about it. Again, it's been a couple years since I've been to Paddy and I've only been there twice, so my details may not be 100% accurate, but I'd bet they were 90%. smirk.gif

Enjoy the ride and the fishing!

1850 ashbay/bitz

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was wondering. We stay at LaBelle's camp in NW Bay and have great walleye fishing there, but I've always wondered if Alex, Ash and Paddy had walleye in them like NW Bay does. It's a bit of a hike up to Ash and Paddy from NW Bay, but it's always well worth the trip (costly though on the gas!). Because we have such good 'eye fishing in NW Bay, I haven't fished out towards areas north of Woodchuck or south of Devil's Cascade, but I'm always looking to expand my horizons. My wife and I caught some nice 5 and 5.5 pound 'eyes on a rock hump south of Woodchuck a few miles one year. Don't know why, but we haven't been back to that spot since.

Well, thanks again for the info.

Have a great holidays!

1850 AshBay,

I own a piece of land just west of Gube point between ash and alexandria bays. No cabin, just a dock and an outhouse. Where are you located on ash. we are going up tomorrow for the july 4th weekend. stop by if you get a chance. would be nice to get to know the neighbors. (18' Green Lund w/ 140 hp suzuki)

Eagledriver,

We're heading up tonight, so I'll stop by (crestliner with a 115 yamaha). Your piece of land was for sale when we bought the island we're on. We looked at yours too, it's kind of cool being on both sides like you are. Did you clean up the giant pile of shotgun shells? It looked like someone had been hunting your spot for quite a while! See you this weekend...