• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anybody know of a cell carrier that works on the west end, reliably? ATT/Cingular is sort of iffy. T-mobile which we have, dies just north of virginia as does Sprint. How does Verizon do on the west end? Anyone else?

del cecchi

I have had very little luck with Verizon anywhere on Vermilion. In fact I switched to Verizon just for that reason. Salesman told me coverage was fine?!?!?!?

I have "Simple Freedom" a prepaid deal from Walmart/ Sams and it also looses signal out of Virginia. My buddy has a cell phone( can't remeber but from a Biggie) and he couldn't get any connection either. We went down by the dam and we got "Out of Area" or "no service".

StillFishing'

We have Verizon, using a Qualcom "tri-band" (analog, 2 digital bands) handset, with an external antenna on high ground on the west end. Works very well except during really rainy weather, when I think wet leaves attenuate the signals.

I have cell one and it works great on the east end, but on the west end it is spotty at best and for the most part if you get reception don't move at all or it goes away.

I have verizon with a Nokia 3850 phone and it works fine most of the time up here on Vermilion, Every now and then you find some dead spots. I leave it set on Digital only. Some phones just can't find service up here.

Hans, can you expound on the external antenna? Can you also use it in the boat?

StillFishin'

Sounds like my problem is more phone-related versus Verizon-related. Thanks for th insight.

Quote:

Hans, can you expound on the external antenna? Can you also use it in the boat?

The external antenna we have is designed for use in an automobile (mount on the roof), but we have it mounted on a small "tower" outside, connected by coax to the handset in side. Reason was to gain some height (sorta like standing on the roof). I don't think it would do much good in the boat.

Vorizon works fairly well for us. Analog service only, digital service does not work. There are times when coverage drops out, but move outside and it picks up.

It's fun to call the office with h an early morning on lake fish reports.

In my experience Verizon is the best carrier in that area. One thing I have discovered is that newer "flip" phones do not work nearly as well as the older generation. It seems that the power output has been decreased on the flip phones, I have kept my older phone. I too need to go to the highest hill on my land to make it work, but may investigate the antenna discribed.

we have externa "trucker" antenna on a couple flip phones too. Full or almost full digital service. I seem to have as good if not better service on myolder phone then my brothers new flip phone. Verizon is definetly the way to go though.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      A co-worker reported they had some the best fishing ever on V last weekend.  Trolling 6-8 feet in the morning with HJ10’s.  Where the water temps were in the mid/low 50’s
    • PSU
      Those campsites are right across the water from us. Seem pretty well protected and I haven't heard of challenging over there. Holiday weekends they fill up very fast
    • mdogdaddy
      My son camped on Hinsdale with his aluminum runabout. Nice site but walking across the hull parked on uneven ground he separated a couple of the rivets.
    • herm
      Thanks "Skunked Again!" I searched old posts and it sounds like my fiberglass boat might not be the best rig for Hinsdale. Still, would appreciate more advice/input. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't know about either of them, but welcome to the forum.
    • SkunkedAgain
      I destroyed my main propeller saving a neighbors dock section from ramming my other neighbor's dock. Definitely watch out for each other out there.   Raven77 - on the plus side of the high water, the floating swim platform that you sold me the other year was able to just float off of the rocks that I had beached it on. No need to do any heavy lifting this season! I'm glad that I tied it to a tree as usual.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A great 2022 MN Fishing Opener for most anglers.  The walleyes and saugers are hungry and the bite is on!  Good numbers of fish caught. Lots of big fish amongst the eaters.  Most anglers were vertically jigging in 6' - 20'.  Anchor up and jig over the side of the boat.  A nice mix of sizes.   The water is a bit dirty on the east portion of the south shore due to runoff from the rivers.  A bright jig with a minnow is the most productive. Reports were also good from the west portion of the south shore.  A bit cleaner water and equally good bite.  Lots of big fish mixed in with eaters.  Some anglers fishing on structure or on the edge of structure where available. On the Rainy River...   A lot of walleyes in the river as predicted, but the current is ripping and the water is a bit dirty.  Those who found slack water often found fish.  The norm was 6' - 15' with a bright jig and minnow.   Typical spots in the main channel were tough to fish due to high current.  The fast moving water helped to congregate fish.  Once you found them, there were normally good numbers. Sturgeon fishing is closed until July 1st.  July 1 - Sep 30 is a sturgeon keep season with one fish per calendar year 45" - 50" or over 75". Up at the NW Angle...  A great jig bite up at the Angle for the opener.  Most fish were caught in 6' - 20' adjacent shoreline structure, neckdown areas and on some shallow flats. Again, a jig and minnow was by far the most common method vertically jigged below the boat.  With cold water, a subtle presentation.  Both fatheads and frozen shiners worked well. Various ways to travel to the Angle. 1.  Drive through Canada to the Angle  (must be vaccinated, no covid test required) 2.  LOW Passenger Service (charter boat service across the lake avoiding customs)  3.  Lake Country Air.(fly from various Midwest locations to LOW and NW Angle) 4.  Take your own boat.  (Safety first, this is a 40 mile ride over big water)  
    • herm
      Greetings all! Our group (two boats/five guys) is looking at fishing/camping trip based at Hinsdale Island Campground or Wake 'Em Up Bay Campground in about 3 weeks.  Can anyone advise about Hinsdale, especially the shoreline for landing boats? (Is it sandy or rocky? Mostly protected?) We're also wondering how busy both campgrounds are? We've stayed at Wake Em Up,  but that was 6-8 years ago and it was mostly empty...just the host and 2-3 others. Nowadays, do either or both fill up on June weekends? (We'd probably arrive on a Saturday, stay most of the week.) Of course, we also welcome suggestions for walleye techniques, depths, etc. We tend to fish smallies during the day and chase eyes in the evening.  Thanks in advance for your help! 
    • ReefWhooligan
      Saturday we got beat up by the wind all day long driving around to the usual spots and didn't catch a thing.  Towards the evening we went in shallow and ended up catching 7 keepers in 6ft of water on slip bobbers.
    • MikeG3Boat
      I didn’t have any luck, but I heard others and saw people catch fish. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.