• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

need some pointers!!!

i know alot of you go splake fishing from reading your articles, but nobody talks about where they go for splake..
I went one time up by lutsen i think, but i couldn't get there again if i tried..
anyways,, what lakes are good for splake on the ice, and where are these lakes?
what do you use to catch them and what depth are they at? i would appreciate any help i can get...
thanks,
beaverlakeman

Hey Beaverlakeman:

There are a fair number of pointers out there on various forums on this site. The forum you're on is good if you look back and sort through.

Also, check the Grand Rapids Forum. Greg, who moderates that forum, knows his splake, and so do a lot of others there. There should be tips and reports going back a ways, though it'll take some time to check. Look for lake trout reports/tips too, because some guys talk about splake and lakers in the same breath.

Good luck.

------------------
Steve ([email protected])

thanks for the advise...
I am heading up to upper red lake on the 23rd of this month for some slabs, there has been alot of talk lately.. word is is that the bite has been getting better every weekend... people are saying that the last weekend in feb will be the best...
Do you know of anyone heading up there that weekend?
its going to be fun..
we are going out at hudecks...
good luck fishing..

beaverlakeman

There are many good lakes for splake fishing throughout northern MN. I wouldn't tell you where i fish if my life depended on it. However, all trout lakes can be researched through various DNR resources. You can find out where they are, when they have been stocked, and lake survey data (trap and gill net results). You can also get lake maps, so forth and so on...The way i fish 'em is usually with a small jigging spoon such as a swedish pimple with a shiner head, or tail...seems sometimes they will prefer one over the other. Plain hooks with a 3-4" dead shiner fished beneath a bobber works well too, however the hook-up ratio is slightly diminished. As far as depth goes it depends on the lake. I spens a lot of time in 5-6' of water fishing over rocks(splake love crayfish), and on some lakes i'll fish 30' of water 10' from shore. Cover all the water from the bottom to the top, don't be afraid to fish a foot below the ice, splake roam at all depths and are usually very agressive. The best way to find a hot spot is to just go out and do it...try different lakes...and if the fishing sucks the scenery is pretty nice. And remember a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of working....good luck

[This message has been edited by Gonefishin101 (edited 02-13-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Gonefishin101 (edited 02-13-2002).]

Don't be surprised to not know what lake people fish for trout (other than large laker lakes). They are easily overfished and some are very difficult to get to. They are usually small lakes (nearly all under 100 acres, all the way down to just a few acres), and the last thing you want is to be fishing right next to someone. Some are very difficult to get to, and you seriously do not expect to see anyone else there when you go. If I mention the name of a lake, it is a very easy lake to get to with small fish, or I am lying to you to keep "secret lake "x"" a secret. Why do you think they do not publish big brook trout in the news tribune in the "big fish" section? One: veteran brookie fishermen don't like to draw attention to themselves, and two: if they do, they lie about where they caught it. High Lake had the state record brook trout for years - I don't believe for a second that it was caught there!

thanks for all the info....
I wasn't asking for your secret lakes, i have my own secret spots to go and would never tell a soul. i was just simply asking of some lakes to go to... i don't really care if they are small or not.. i went once up by lutsen some where and never got a bite.. i just want to go to any joe blow lake to catch a splake.. maybe enough to make a meal.. i have never ate splake..
I totally understand about your secret lakes or any trout lake for that matter, but i really have no clue, i dont like to go by what the dnr say, i would rather getting info from people who have acually fish them.. you know what i'm saying?

if you could give me maybe a lake or two that have splake that bite i would apprciate it..
here is my e-mail addy...
[email protected]

if you do give me any lake info, i promice as a fellow fisherman to ever say a word.
plus i really only get the chance to go once or twice a year anyways..

thank you....
beaverlakeman

Beaverlakeman,
One popular splake lake is Echo, off Hwy 7 NE of Finland. Close by are also Goldeneye(brookies) and Hare(browns).
Check the DNR website and look at the stocking reports for lake and cook county to see what lakes they are stocked in (splake dont reproduce naturally) A couple splake lakes up the Gunflint trail from grand marais is Mink, and Musquash but you need a sled/sheeler to access it via trail. There are also several in the Ely area too (Tofte, High)
Good luck, Xplorer

Mink and Kimball are right across the road from each other, connected by a creek with parking on the right above the Kimball campground. I'd fish Kimball, Go straight across the landing to the other side of the lake by the point stay outside the point about 120 feet or so (on edge of weed line) Fish a white tinsel tail jig w/salted crappie minnow. I've fished Mink, caught alot of small splake. But the bang for your buck will be Kimball, with Splake, Browns, and Rainbows. They must run the weed line hitting every hour and a half or so. Average 1 1/2 to 4 pounds. Watch those Browns, bellies loaded w/ crayfish. Thinking their feeding at night. If I had'nt of stopped for some refreshments on the way home I never would of told. Hopefully sobering up soon - mike.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably too late for this year, but Gonefishin is right. DNR has all the info. I think they have a booklet for inland lakes. Start punching in lakes in their site and they will give you stocking and length lists to narrow it down. Don't be surprised if the best looking lakes are the hardest to get to. That's part of it. Ely area has some good ones, but you'll have to put in some travel time to get to the best. Have fun and enjoy the pursuit. The area is ABSOLUTLY beautiful.