• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Going up!

Turk

Gang Just a quick note to angle high water minded. In the past I have got them shallow real good. But I have also cranked them up in 17 to 26 feet as well during the same conditions.

For the fun shallow bite, I like to use light test pound line and a medium light rod that can feel every bite. Then whamo stick a good walleye, and maybe keep a few if a fry is in mind or let the rest swim another day.

I'm not sure how high the river is going to rise, but I'd bet two feet more.

Keep Catchin'

Turk

Thanks Turk!

My shallow bite has slowed down with the rise confused.gifBut we should be back on them by the time it tops out hopefully.

Had to go to cranks yesterday to get into some eyes.

The funniest part was I had my girlfriend go out and pick a shad by herself and she outfished me 3 to 1 with the one that looked pretty grin.gif I dont like trolling much and now thats all she will want to do next time out I bet.

Hey Turk, how do you think the rising waterlevels will affect the eye bite this weekend? I am trying to decide whether I will fish out of marine or head up by taylors falls and try panfish. I have typically done well with firetiger shadraps, any other colors you might suggest for dingy water? Thanks in advance Tunrevir!

Joe,

I often ask people to pick colors and funny they work!! I must over think the color situation some time!? It's always great when the ladies out fish you!

tunrevir,

I have found the shallow stretches (up north of town (Stillwater))to be effected by the high dirty and debris filled water greater (meaning worse) than the lower stretches, so i'd say down south. Or did you mean Big Marine?

However the scenery is always better up north of town.

Firetiger is great or the "oil can" aka crawdad.

Good luck,

T.

Keep cathcin'

Turk

Thanks Turk< I haven't ever tried the ol oil can and I may just give it a try. Nice pics on the website by the way! Its nice to know you don't have to travel way north to get into quality fish. How many days a week do you fish? What does a daytrip cost a guy? Might have to look you up and see how the big boys do it. I'm always willing to learn! Thanks again!

Turk - I've been thinking about buying a rig to run lead core line. Do you think it's worth it? Will running lead out fish long line trolling cranks?

TURK, When you say shallow bite, are you saying 3-7 ft. or newly flooded areas, also last fall you were talking about using ringworms, what is your prefered type of presentation with plastics for walleyes. Thanks HTB

Tunrevir,

Thanks for the comment about the pictures. We really got a dandy last week - a massive trophy eye- Caught by Kelly Massie shown on my home page. Actually the week has very good for big ones we had four smaller hogs -one 25 and three 26 inchers! I'll take those lucky big ones any day.

Good luck!

FishHawkk,

We had a hot week and it's been crawler time! Leadline is nice when you have very long trolling runs like they do on Lake Pepin and parts of the Croix. It is just a way to get the crank down. Longline a deep runner on power pro line and that will get your lures to 20 deep (depending on the lure that is). Three ways with four ounce sinkers will also get them deep. If you are trolling in less than 15 feet you do not need the added weight, just use the precison trolling charts and that book dials your lures in, and tells you exactly how deep they will run.

Keep catchin'

Hitthebricks,

OK, Yes 3-7 feet is a great depth, and they can be up in the flooded brush and on the shorelines, or on the rock. I use livebait this time of year. But I did cast a ringworm out on an eighth ounce jig to test my new line of rods, just to see their feel (very sensative and smooth by the way) and I whacked an eighteen inch walleye -nice rod.

I'm really a coldwater plastic guy. My preferred presentation is plastics (ringworms do mucho damage on walleyes)on a jighead no doubt.

Hope this helps.

Keep catchin'

Turk

Turk,

speaking of your rods, I stuck a 21" 5.5 lbs LM bass on Sunday morning with one of your spinning rods. Very sensitive indeed. smile.gif I was casting a tube to cover on a local lake. The fish was so big it just sort of inhaled the 4" tube. It was very subtle. I was able to sense it and set the hook. I'll send you a photo. Love the rod.

SteveO

Steve,

Sweet! Nice catch!!! That rod you used was the all purpose spinning medium action rod, a true do all spinning rod. I haven't shown you the new medium light, it's lights out on the eyes.

Let get fishing soon!

Turk

T,

if you get a late cancellation, call me and I'm in!

I really like the medium power for the bass. I can really drive the hook home. Lots of backbone in the rod that I have. I really like the casting rod for live bait. Seems to shine on lindy rigging. Where can I find that med-light rod?

Tight lines buddy,

SteveO