• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

area to fish by duluth/cloquet

hi, i will be by duluth this weekend and have never fished any lakes up there. I fish for trout in lakes and streams, panfish, walleye, you name it. i was wondering if there are any good, easy to access lakes by the cloquet. How is the st. louis river or any streams this time of year. thanks

Troutboy,

You didn't mention if you have a sled, or a wheeler. Anyway, if it were me, I guess I'd try Island Lake, down by Moose Lake. From Cloquet, you'd head south on 35. It's about 29 miles or so to the first Moose Lake exit. You go by that, and take the second one and turn right at the stop sign. About a half, or three quarters of a mile, you'll hang a left, on Co. road 10. Follow that around and it will go across the freeway. Right across the freeway, there's a frontage road. Stay on 10, and you should come to a landing, you'll see where they are driving on. There will be a group of shanties, you can't miss them. There's crappie fishing there. Last time I was there, about three weeks ago, it was pretty slow. Lots of fish around, but not too many biters. There's also a little lake, Bear Lake, right off the freeway at Barnum, but, I've never fished it, so don't know anything about it. Best thing to do maybe would be to go to the local bait shop in Cloquet and ask them what's going on. If they are worth their salt, they'll be freindly, and head you in the right direction. Good luck, and have fun.

Set the Hook!!

Lundman

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Ah yes Island. So many lakes so little time. Give it a try. Get there early cuz if ya sleep in you'll miss the bite. You'll be home by noon for a nap.

Lundman, Bear Lake in Barnum huh...dont hear anyone mention that lake much.

Fish the 30' hole from 3:30 till sunset. Crappies will suspend over that. You can catch a few, but theyre kind of small...not too many big'uns.

The ice on Bear Lake has a road straight out towards the island where the hole is if you were curious.