• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minn Kota MAG-24 (HELP)

krma

Question

I was given a trolling motor with foot control. I started taking it apart as it needed to be cleaned and had a lot of fishing line wound up around the shaft. The person who gave it to me never used it so he doesn't even know if it works.

What things should I be looking for or checking while putting it back together? Are there common problems that happen to electric motors or parts that need to be replaced? I'm wondering if there are signs to look for to determine whether certain parts are bad on it. It would be much better to fix them now that its apart.

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

If its not broken, dont fix it.. get the line off the shaft and put it back together.. see what happens from there... It may work just fine.. or it may not work at all.

If there was any water in the lower unit due to leaks when it was put away.. It could be a big ball of rust internaly by now.. or, it might be just fine.. no way to tell without hooking it up. The foot controls usually take more maintenence than anything.. a little sand, or a split shot can cause some difficulties.

If its been stored for a long time, be sure to take a good look at the main power cables if it was stored somewhere the temps fluxuate.. I have had a couple of them that I had to replace the power cables to get them to work due to breaks/cracks in the insulation... it can be a wise precautionary measure if you have any doubt about the condition of the cables.