• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Caught a PIRAHNA in the Mississippi !!!!

Notcho

My buddy and I were fishing under the Sauk Rapids bridge last September and caught this... missippiriverpirahna0112kc.jpgmissippiriverpirahna0094zh.jpg

We caught this with 4lb test on a half of a crawler! We contacted the DNR and they said that someone released it from a fish tank, and they have seen that before! It weighed in at 2.5lbs. The funny thing was that it bit like a bluegill and fought like a smallie. You never know what you will catch in the river. missippiriverpirahna0088el.jpg

Cool, I'll have to keep my toes out of the water from now on! Could you resize the pictures so we can see them better? Thanks 4 X 3 works great.

Resize while you still have the time to edit, 600 pixels wide max works really good

How do you resize the pic? I am new to this!

Pretty easy, It depends on the photo program you are using, examples

IrfanView, get it here, http://www.irfanview.com/ its a freebe and easy to use, go to image, resize/resample

Picture Publisher, go to image, size

ACDSee, Tools, resize

Most programs I have seen have an Edit,Image, or Tools option on the toolbar. Just go take a look and try some of the options like in the above examples, Do anything you want under these options and "Save As" not "Save" then if you screw it up you will still have the original in your file on your computer

I have used Photoshop and a number of others but have found IrfanView the best thing for most photo stuff I need. I've used it for years more than any other program and give it an A+ and the price is right, free.

By the way cool fish, now if I can get that Gator that swam by my house the other day, HT I need a Gator sized spinner bait in Red. grin.gif

I'm glad you didn't release it back. Does anyone think they can survive the winter? Just wondering how long it was in da sippi chewing on yearling smallies and peoples toes.

According to aquarium experts they need water temps above 55 degrees to survive so its doubtful it would survive unless its sitting at the Monti discharge all winter, one fish would be out of its element to be a voracious predator, they are a schooling fish and have power in numbers, otherwise they are real skittish and probably couldnt do much harm, I have always wondered how my tank raised Oscars and Pacus (pirahna family) would fight, the Oscar is super aggressive and last time I had to take her out of the tank, she busted my little net when she started to fight, I think I will be nice and not drop a hook in there though grin.gif

One time I wanted to see how my oscar would react to fishing lures. I dropped a twister tail in and the darn thing ate it. I also took the hooks off of a shad rap once. It loved smacking that thing around.

The fish is still in my buddys freezer. He wants to mount it.

I was watching some fishing show this weekend and they were

catching pirhanas down on the amazon and throwing them in there

livewell!

they said they they taste excellent!

I'm not sure it is a piranha, I believe it is a type of Pacu, likely a Red Pacu. They are commonly used as aquarium fish and it probably got too large for it's owner to handle. For more info look up Pacu in Google or another search engine on the internet.

I have 2 red belly pacus in my tank, they do not have teeth,

these fish are Pirahanas, the fish are identical when young,

but when Pacus mature they turn dark and have black tipped fins, and dont have that much red on them