• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

the big Canada trip...what to bring?

1st trip to Canada, looking to not take all my tackle. I know jigs and rigs for eyes, but what do guys leave at home? I plan on not taking my soft pastics, some grubs for eyes but not LM bass stuff. What else can I leave home? Looking for opinions.

A group of 8 of us are heading to Point Du Bois(sp)along the Winnipeg River on the 16th of June. As far as tackle, I'm gonna through it all at em. We are looking for mainly Pike and Walleye. I've never fished there before but the other guys have. So it would be interesting to hear some replies.

WAG

What ever you do, do not leave your rapalas at home, Time proven lures that will catch fish in street puddles. Just don't forget them. If I could only bring one type of lure it would have to be my rapalas. grin.gif

I would take it all. My most effective method for eyes has been either spinner rigs or jigs, but you never know. I've had years where the mayfly hatch is so bad you can't buy a walleye. When that happens (or mid-day) you can bust out the bass gear and catch trophy smallies left and right as they don't seem to ever turn off in Can. Or go pike.

If you want to leave something at home I would suggest the light action rods. They just don't cut it up there!! I guess that's why we go. cool.gif

Leave the beer on shore since you cant have it in the boat in Canada. Bottom bouncers from 3/4 to 3 oz., Spinners, jigs, lindy rigs, stick baits, 3 way rigs and slip bobbers for eyes. I bring some offshore trolling boards and dipseys for the laketrout as well. Always seeem to get some nice pike on the boards trolling for lakers.

Make sure who ever is going to be driving across the boarder does not have a DWI or other criminal conviction in the last 10 years or their not getting into Canada.

And if any of the passengers have violations make sure they have an extra $200 for the waiver that is needed if they decide to check all occupants licenses. mad.gif

jigs, jigs and more jigs... i can't count the number of times i have decide to change up from a jig to a rap or something else and my dad would inevitably pull up a 25 plus eye while I am casting away... i'm not saying don't use any raps, but for some reason the place i go, the fish just love a hook and a shinner... the real kicker is, i always find myself buying way too many jigs down here, the resort i go to has their own custom colors (eye is never painted) so now, when i head up, i am pretty much down to the basics, a couple rods, raps and some line... but like i said, this just seems work where i fish... good luck...

Mostly depends on where you are going. I've made the trek numerous times, mostly to northwestern Manitoba (Kississing Lake). The first few times I bulked up with all kinds of stuff. Turns out I only used about 1% of what I brought. Two rods (one pike/trout and one walleye), handfull of jigs in a few colors a few jerk baits and Daredevils or Red-eyes. I swear you could attach a hook to a colored rock and catch fish up there. I tried most of the stuff I had (rapalas, spinners, mepps, etc, and the largest pike I caught at 43" came off a 3" twister tail and I caught a 42" off some stupid novelty budwiser lure shaped and painted like a beer can, and my largest walleye came off a muskie bucktail) and I couldnt tell a difference, they seemed hit everything at about the same rates.

Dont worry about the DWI thing either if someone has one. I got one a while back and it was never a problem, I was held back one year for a couple hours but then allowed to cross. Its been 3 years since I've been there so you may want to call the border office and see what you would need to bring now. I'm sure things have changed a little.

If you bring it you will most likely get a chance to use it. Jigs have always been the go to bait up there for me, gold in color. Bring enough since there is plenty to snag up there. Topwater bass and muskie tackle has always been a hit too. Bring a camera too!!!

I would take everything plus the kitchen sink!!!! No matter what it is that you DON'T take...that will be the magic lure! grin.gif

I used jigs, then I used some more jigs and then I happened to use more JIGS! Also big were lindy rigs, but I tend to bring all the pieces with me in my tackle box (i.e beads, blades of various sizes and colors, hooks, etc.) so I can find the right rig to through at them eyes.

Definately bring spinnerbaits and raps for those walleyes in the shallows and the big pike in the weeds!

Dont worry about the DWI thing either if someone has one.

Quote:

Yeah I would not worry about any DWI's in the group whats the worst that could happen?

Oh you could be one the Hundreds of American Minnesota Fishermen Who get turned get away at the boarder each year because they have DWI's in the last 10 years, DWI is a felony in Canada. Someone with a felony may be denied entrance into Canada at the descretion of the guy you see, but don't worry about it, all they lose is a bunch of money and a Canadian fishing trip with their families and their friends.

This does not mean that everyone with DWI is denied.. it does mean that they have the right to deny you and they have and will continue to Deny entry into Canada for some Americans with DWI's.

If your not going get the Temporary Resident Permit in advance I'd have an extra $200 cash to pay for a TRP at the border.

Here read some more. Crossing the Boarder

Pierbridge-

I have a question about the Temporary Resident Permit. Is it a one shot deal or do you have to obtain a TRP every trip you make to Canada??

There is a good amount of legwork required on your part to obtain the permit.

Quote:

Pierbridge-

Is it a one shot deal or do you have to obtain a TRP every trip you make to Canada??

As I read their pathetic rules it sound's like, The Temporary Resident Permit is normally for the duration of the person's visit however, a longer duration or multiple entries may be granted under certain circumstances.

There is a Letter of Rehabilitation process that will get you pardoned..LOL....You can read more about it in the link provided above.

Salted minnows! Can't take live minnows. Work as well as live minnows.

Yeah, I've read it and searched for all the info I can and it isn't very promising for those who wish to abide by their laws.

Letter of Rehabilitation is only possible 5 years after you committed your 'criminal activity.'

Temporary Resident Permit looks like a one shot deal each and every time you go to Canada. At $200 CDN per trip, that'll add up.

In talking with Canada Customs, pulling out the wallet and forking over the $200, it's still not a for sure thing. It is left up to the discretion of the officer. As much as the person with the DUI might not like "our rules" they should grin and bear it and try not to get flustered or bring the attitude out. That's a for sure "Au revoir" for a potential visitor to Canada. The only way to beat the system is to obstain from driving when your drunk. wink.gif

As far as what to bring: cold weather bibs, boots, stocking cap, gloves, rain gear, sun hat, sleeveless shirt, shorts, bug dope. You might have every layer you packed on one day, and the board shorts and flip flops the next day.

Oh, and jigs, bottom bouncers, lindy rigs, raps.

I just got back from fishing Northern Saskatchewan and all a guy needs there are jigs and beef heart to slam tonnes of walleye. Bottom bouncers, lindy rigs just get caught in snags of timber and weeds.

I live in central Sask Canada and use bouncers, lindy rigs, jigs, cranks ect... pretty much the same as you guys use to catch walleye.

Bring lots of misquito spray and be prepared to spend an arm and a leg for gas and all the taxes we have.

Cheers!!