• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog shot and killed

pants

Sheephead

Maybe you have a better understanding of this subject than me, since I don't have the brains to figure out that shooting a dog for being on you property is wrong. But it shouldn't take a genius to figure out that not wanting a dog to come up in your yard and shooting a dog that is in your yard are two different things. Yeah I can admit I don't want other dogs crapping or digging holes in my yard but I sure wouldn't shoot a dog over it. And Sheephead if your the type of person that would, then you have no redeeming qualities about you. And hopefully since you have so much brains, you are another person that can figure out to stay out of my neighborhood.

Never did i say that it was o.k. to shoot a dog. Read the post again.

I have to keep my dog in the house rather than the back yard cuz you people think it is ok to let your dog run. I don't think the dog is the one to blame here but the owner that has no care for others. Keep your dog tyed up and it won't get shot. Simple as that. I would never do it but some may. If it gets out once i highly doubt someone would shoot it, but consistently then maybe so.

You are obviously a ********.......I suspect that if someone shot your dog that accidentally got loose you would scream like Arvlis Parsley with his gentials caught in a clothes wringer!.......Get a life, throw rocks at the dog, scream and holler a bit, but, shoot the dog....NOT!

you people can't read very well in everyone of my posts i have said that i would NOT shoot a dog but some people might. Keep your dog tied up and that won't happen. I think you people's dogs would be better off reading the posts on hear.

Quote:

throw rocks at the dog, scream and holler a bit

Or maybe the old metal ice scooper. Just kidding. I was just rememering last winter. Everyones opinion about what should be done with a dog that the owner hasn't controlled.

Dogs are dogs, they can't help what they do. Peeing on an ice shack, digging holes in someones yard, or even chasing livestock.

It's the master or owner of the dog that should be dealt with, not the dog.

While I don't advocate shooting dogs, the owner is responsible for ensuring his dog is a good citizen. If he can't do that then he should give the dog to someone who can. The person who shot the dog should have talked with the owner for a solution and if that didn't work he should have called the authorities and let them deal with it. Enough calls and the owner will end up in court to explain to the judge why he can't ensure his dog is a good citizen. Fines etc... will come after that.

The owner of the dog should call the authorities and report the shooting. If it's in town or in an area where discharging of firearms is prohibited then there should be some repercussions for the shooter.

gspman

O.K. guys, I think that about raps up this thread. A gentleman came on here to report an incident and was looking for some feedback about his particular incident... I think everyone gave their opinion about free roaming dogs, but that was not the what this thread was directly about. Let's end it here before it gets anymore inflamed. I can see some problems developing on this thread from here on out and it is now again at a civil point. Most posts on here are well intentioned and have their own merit, and all would probably agree it is not in the best interest of the dog if it is left to roam, but shooting dogs (other than chasing / killing wildlife and livestock) is not the answer. Let the authorities handle it, if you do not want to confront the dogs owner. They will impound the dog and the fines will tally up, either making him a more responsible (and poorer) owner, or he won't pay up and the dog will be put in a shelter to hopefully await new and more responsible owners. Thanks!

Good Luck!

Ken

I work in the insurance industry. Unfortunately in Minnesota there is "strict liability" as far as dogs go. So yes, it may be against the law for the jerk that shot the dog (and I hope they call the authorities on this) to shoot the dog., but actually the jerk who shot the dog could technically go after the dog owner's homeowner's insurance to try to get money for the property damage (the hole and I know this sounds redicioulous and in my opinion it is - but you wouldn't beleive how often we see this here at work!)

The guy who shot the dog would not be protected by his insurance company as it was an intentional act - specifically excluding coverage.

I just don't understand how someone could shoot a dog like that! Reading this story makes me SO VERY ANGRY!!!! I hope that guy gets in trouble for shooting the dog.

I do understand how some one could get to the point a shooting the dogs. I’m a dog own and I don’t let my lab run all over the place. But there are three yellow labs running free around our neighborhood and I am getting tired of dogs ripping though our garbage growling at me in my own garage. I have called all the owners of yellow labs in our area and the problem is still there. The police said if I could catch the dog they would come pick it up. But I’m not going to grab a dog that is growling at me and the others run off when I come out side. I have though about shooting them with a paint gun so the neighbors know the dog is getting into this it is not support to. One of the dogs drank a ½ gallon of oil out of my fish fryer and three sticks of butter. I hope they had to replace all of there carpet.

I just pictured what their carpet probably looks like now! That should teach them to keep them tied up or fenced! I have my dog in the fenced yard, but if she did happen to get out, I'd hope that somebody wouldn't shoot her!

1/2 gallon of oil and 3 sticks of butter? LOL. Anyway, my roomates dog ran quite a bit and one day never came back. The neighbor had shot it once before but didnt kill it. Dog ran off again and they suspect the neighbor of shooting it. They confronted the neighbor and he just played dumb. They cant prove that the neighbor shot it so they had to deal with it. That's how it is out in the stix. The only way I'd shoot a dog is if it was going to attack me or someone I was with. Unless I was in Blaine, then I would go on a doggy shooting spree. grin.gif J\k Tex

Not to keep dragging on, but sometimes it is definitely the owner who needs more training than the dog.

My boss got a new neighbor in a new housing development. The new neighbor was a guy we both had worked with in the past and knew quite well. Anyhow, he saw no problem with their new little yippy dog crapping on the boss's lawn. Talked to them, and they could not stand to see their puppy on a chain. So the boss gets his kids and 3 other people with all the footballs basketballs and kickballs they could hold and bombarded the little mutt when he came over. Then the little bugger learned to go and crap when nobody was home. So, to train the owner the only thing the boss could do is pick it up every time and calmly lay it right on the front steps of their brand new home. After about a month, little puppy has a stake and a chain. Consider the owner trained.

DD

My look on the post is...... Responsible owner, dog gets into the neighbors yard, OK. It got out. Iresponsible owner, dog gets out, messes something up & owner doesn't do something about it, Not OK. Please be responsible for your pets. If your neighbor B*#ches about it. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! My dog ran away last week, because she escaped the yard (which is fenced in), Neighbor was more than happy about bringing her back. I was looking for her for 3 hours before I found her. I am talking about a suburban area here. Andover.

Thanks,

Hoggs