• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog shot and killed

pants

Last night my brother-in-laws yellow lab was shot and killed by a neighbor down the street. Apparently the lab (three legged by the way) was digging a small hole in the neighbors yard. Granted this dog should not have been digging a hole in the yard but what possess an individual to do this to someones best friend? The dog had his tags on and everything. All the neighbor had to do was call the # and tell them to come get there dog. And I am sure that my brother-in-law would have been more than happy to replace the hole for them. I haven't heard of this happening to much but does this kind of event happen more often that we think? Or not? Is there anything that can be done to prosecute this (Contact US Regarding This Word)? Thanks for your input.

Call the autorities! It should have been done last night... if it is in city limits, he's probably gonna be in some hot water for discharging a firearm in city limits, if not in the city, I'm sure they can cite him for killing the dog or other violations. You can also bring about a civil suit for shooting the dog. I wouldn't just drop it.....

Good Luck!

Ken

Your brother-in-law should call the authorities and call a lawyer. Reading your post makes me about as mad as I can get. His homeowners insurance will have coverage for this and I would at least get some money out of it, even a small payout for replacing the dog looks bad on his CLUE report and can end up costing him $$ and make it tough for him to even find insurance. I would even stoop to contacting the Humane Society and seeing if they would take action. We are far past the days of shooting dogs to protect your family and livestalk. That is terrible. There has to be something done to at least make it bad enough on the guy that he doesn't even do it again.

That man is lucky he dont live next to me. Thats all I can say. My next dog will bear a tag saying "do to me, what you want my owner to do to you". Then If you shoot my dog, well guess what. mad.gif I'm angered.

WAG

I'm not sure what I'd do if I caught the person that shot my dog. Having no close family and few really true friends, Maverick is my best friend and I'd grieve him like I grieved my grandfather passing away (whom taught me about hunting/fishing). My anger would have no ends. With that said, I do not let my dog roam. I don't let my dog get into those circumstances if at all possible. I would never shoot a dog for coming onto my property the first or second or who knows how many times. BUT, there would come a point where if the owner wasn't taking any responsibility something would have to be done. Depending on the million different circumstances that surround each occurence actions do need to be taken to solve the problem. Of course there are several outcomes that would have been better. The one that seems so far to work for me is for me to protect my interests before someone else has to worry about it.

Sorry to hear about your friends dog.

Why wouldn't he just call the animal pound & have the dog removed? Some people are just (Contact US Regarding This Word), I guess.

Pants - where was this, I would be very interested. I know a lady that had a couple dogs shot for chasing turkeys (farmed turkeys) they both lived but had major problems afterword.

Forget the police, they won't do to him what he deserves. My dog is my best friend, I always love to come home and there he is wagging his tail and happy to see me. If anyone were to ever shoot my hound for something like that, it would just be a little down home justice. Alittle fine or slap on the wrist will not make this jerk regret what he did. But if he were to shoot my dog he would absolutely regret. But that is just me.

Alot of the times the whole story isn't told. But I do believe a land owner has the right to protect his property. Sometimes the property happens to be his own pets or other livestock type animals. If the property owner shot someone elses dog while it is on his property, while it is killing pets or livestock he is WELL WITHIN his RIGHTS. KEY WORDS, on his property and killing livestock. If you were losing pets or livestock to someone elses dog you might not have to think long before you found an answer to the question. It is not the dogs fault, but owners should accept the results of their NONACTION. Neighbors also have RIHGTS.

Quote:

Alot of the times the whole story isn't told. But I do believe a land owner has the right to protect his property. Sometimes the property happens to be his own pets or other livestock type animals. If the property owner shot someone elses dog while it is on his property, while it is killing pets or livestock he is WELL WITHIN his RIGHTS. KEY WORDS, on his property and killing livestock. If you were losing pets or livestock to someone elses dog you might not have to think long before you found an answer to the question. It is not the dogs fault, but owners should accept the results of their NONACTION. Neighbors also have RIHGTS.

Although, you only have the authority to kill cats in minnesota. After contacting one of my friends, a game warden, he says that it is illegal to shoot a dog, and the person that can shoot a dog for destroying property, is a police officer, peace officer, or game warden.

I believe there is a part in the laws that states you can shoot a dog a certain time of year if it is actively chasing deer. Maybe he was buring the remains of a deer he had already killed. Just kiddin what a terrible thing. If you take action on your own your dog may not be the only thing being shot. Be careful.

First time I will chase him out of the yard. Second time I will call you and ask you to try to keep him home. Third time the proper authorities get the call so they can have a chat with you. Fourth time you won't have to worry any more. Just my thoughts.

If it had been me i would have went over to the guys house but i would have went with about four friends and 8 baseball bats and i wouldn't have left until everyone of the bats was in pieces (yes i need anger management) I did have a cop show up at my house one night when i was about 14 and at that time i had a 2 year old golden that we tied to a long rope in the kitchen so that she would learn her boundires and not go on the carpet. Any ways the cop told my mother that if she did not restrain the dog because she was barking he was going to mase it which was about ten feet from him. and couldn't get any closer well when i found out about that i was pretty pissed make a long story short i think there is still a restaining order on me from that guy

Quote:

Fourth time you won't have to worry any more.

Whew, I am sure relieved about that , because for a minute there I thought that you would have shot my dog. And if my dog got shot, your right, I wouldn't have to worry any more, it would the person that shot my dog that have to worry.

I have an invisible fence and my dog stays within it's limits, but if something should happen that he gets out,I would like to think that my neighbors would be tollerable about it. I have had several of the neighbors dogs as visitors before and one specific one comes over and likes to play with my dog. I told the owners that I don't mind because the dogs have so much fun.

"hooks"

[quote

Although, you only have the authority to kill cats in minnesota. After contacting one of my friends, a game warden, he says that it is illegal to shoot a dog, and the person that can shoot a dog for destroying property, is a police officer, peace officer, or game warden.

Might want to check that. Livestock protection laws are pretty plain. Assuming one can let a dog roam is one of the things that gets people into trouble when they move to the country. If the dog is in the act of chasing or killing livestock or even in the judgement of the property owner making the livestock nervous, the livestock owner is within their rights to dispatch the dog. Been there, done that. Was not what I wanted to do, was what I had to do. As a livestock owner, free roaming dogs are always a threat. And, if you've ever seen the aftermath from a pack of dogs attacking a flock of sheep, it's enough to make you sick as you put bullets into the animals so badly maimed & mauled there's no hope for them. Treating those that survive and have a chance is no barrel of laughs either. It can take a lot of extra time and expense.

I doubt this was the case in pants situation and am sorry for your loss. I've had neighbors dogs dig holes and even take naps in my yard. I holler at 'em to go home and they leave. Long as they leave the livestock alone, we're cool.

Deere........I really hope you are not serious about your forth time thing. If your neighbors dog is in your yard and not harming anything, what do you care if it's at your house 100 times? Dogs are dogs and if it makes you feel better about yourself to harm a dog than you have issuses you need help with. My neighbor has a lab that comes to visit my dog all the time. I'll give him water and food and even let him in my house. He's just like any other dog, he loves to play and get attention. And is it really worth making a life long enemey of a neighbor because his dog comes to visit. You just better be careful if that is how you feel, you harm the wrong guys dog and you will have a really bad day. Most people love their dogs like one of the family. Would you shoot the neighbors kid for being in you yard? Maybe I don't want to know the answer to that. Think about it.

Dotch, glad to see someone can see the true injured parties veiw. Irresponsible pet owners always complain, Why did you shoot my dog? When neighborhood dogs run loose they tend to PACK. When they pack they usually have mischieve in mind, kind of like a GANG. This said I would think GOOD pet owners would keep their dogs home. Land owners who do not have dogs maybe do not want dogs on their property. I have shot dogs doing damage on my property. Sherrif's office told me to make every attempt to kill as many as I can if they are in a pack. When loose dogs pack up, what they do in a barn yard is not pretty. So, I do not have much simpothy for irresponsible pet owners. If you own a dog you have to have the time to keep it happy so it will stay home. If you you own a dog, just to have a dog, the dog will not be happy. An unhappy dog will roam. A roaming dog will find trouble. The bottom line is, be a responsible pet owner, your dog will stay home and everyone will be HAPPY.

Seems this topic always comes up once in a while. I've had a few different dogs over the years. If it's one thing I can't stand, its a dog that thinks it can run wherever it wants. I had to get rid of my little english pointer because she just would not stay on my property. I live in the country on 160 acres. If my dog can't stretch their legs on that much land I don't want them. Although, I can see both sides of the story. In a more urban area, dogs are going to get out from time to time and roam around. 90% of the time they aren't going to hurt anything. But what about that other 10% of the time. Personally, if it was a local dog, and I knew the owner, I might let it slide a few times. Few, being the key word here. After that the problem will be handled in one way or another. And, for all the owners who claim they can't believe someone would harm their best friend I have a comment. If that pet is so important to you, why are you letting it run around? Are you going to get mad at someone if they accidently run your pet over? Also, I'll be the first to admit, I've had to dispatch a few free roaming dogs on my land. Did I feel good about it. Certainly not. But, by looking at those animals, I could tell they were not takin care of and I also know all the local owners dogs. The dogs I dispatched were not local. I have two young sons who play in my yard all the time. I for one am not willing to take the chance as to what could happen. When it comes to my family, I take no chances.

Just to clarify a few things and to confirm what Dotch wrote, here are a couple of state statutes......

347.17 Any person may kill dogs in certain cases.

Any person may kill any dog that the person knows is

affected with the disease known as hydrophobia, or that may

suddenly attack while the person is peacefully walking or riding

and while being out of the enclosure of its owner or keeper, and

may kill any dog found killing, wounding, or worrying any

horses, cattle, sheep, lambs, or other domestic animals.

347.03 Dogs may be killed.

Any owner or caretaker may kill any dog found chasing,

injuring, or worrying sheep or other livestock or poultry owned

by or in care of such owner or caretaker, on lands or premises

owned or controlled by the owner or caretaker, and any owner or

caretaker of sheep may kill any dog found on the owner's or

caretaker's premises where sheep are kept, not under human

restraint or control.

HIST: (7286) RL s 2788; 1927 c 217 s 1; 1986 c 444

If you really cared about your dog, do you think you need to be reminded 3 times? My book says you really don't. Keep him in your own yard. I understand this might be common in the city but in the country, my kids and pets are my responsibility, not yours. I take care of mine, you take care of yours. I don't need more dogs than I have now to feed. If my dogs keep running, I don't expect to see them back. Seems hard but that's the way it is for me.

Thanks skunk-ape (Whoa!What kind of handle is that?!) for clarifying what I said in plain legal English. Let me reiterate: I am a dog lover. My job has taken me to literally hundreds of farmsteads and dozens of different kinds of farmers, dogs & mutts. I have been bitten but generally I get along pretty well with most of them, the dogs that is. I have worked hard to train my own dogs to work, behave themselves and stay home. They are confined when I'm not home but sometimes they come into the office where they enjoying playing with the customers. The dogs have to be under control however. It's my butt if they aren't. We also live on a busy blacktop where the traffic is usually moving at well over the speed limit. The last thing I want is to watch all that love and hard work go down the tubes. However, if one of the dogs causes damage or becomes a nuisance of any kind at the neighbors, I know that it's my obligation to make it right.

Just give it a shot in the rear end with a BB gun at 2 pumps or bird shot out of a .22. It won't penetrate and you scare it enough that they don't come back - problem solved with no hard feelings.

iunderstand that this dog was shot in the city limits so yes the guy was wrong. but as far as shooting someone else's pet guess what i have done it. last january we where hunting coyote by the bigstone wildlife refuge and i saw 3 labs chaseing 15 deer. i had my .223 so you can guess what happened to the dogs.they didnt go home for supper. am i a bad person i dont think so. they shouldnt have been harasing wildlife you be the judge. and i had every right to do it no law broken

I can understand not wanting another dog around if it is a threat to your kids or your pets. But if that is not the case what do you care. Do you let your kids play with the neighbor kids? Whats the difference if your dog plays with the neighbor dog?.

I understand where you guys are coming from with the dogs hurting people, livesock, or wildlife. Then maybe yes you have a problem dog. But to just shoot a dog because it's on your land just seems stupid. Dogs like to explore just like kids do. So what if they are sniffing around on your land if they are not hurting anything who gives a rip.

And any of you who say that you wouldn't care if someone shot your dog because it was on their land is either a liar or shouldn't own a dog. You are supposed to love and care for that animal, you are it's master, and that animal loves and cares for you.

Maybe I just have a bigger heart or more compassion for dogs than you guys do. But don't move to my neighborhood, all of the dogs on my block play together and none of the neighbors have a problem. So all you tough guys that get your kicks shooting family pets stay out of Blaine.

I guess my only other comment is to those that keep saying its ok for another dog to be in your yard. Well that is your opinion yes but it is not right. It is not right for your son or daughter to see that dog get hit my a car, or see that dog get mauled by another dog, or to have a person driving along and have that dog run in front of them and ruin there day or even week as it has to me. Not saying you are to shoot the dog, just keep it tied up. Tex you may have a bigger heart than a brain if you think it is o.k for them to run. I personally would not want another dog in my yard especially a male dog as mine is not fixed and it would cost me $$ i don't have to take care of pups. There is many reasons why you should keep them chained up.

There is a time and a place to dispatch a dog. This is not an all or not situation. Please use some common sense and do the right thing. I pray that when my dog gets out because the neighbor kid left the door open that you do the right thing. I also hope you do the right thing when my dog is chasing a deer or livestock. It goes both ways and I expect it to be that way. Just use some common sense!

"I personally would not want another dog in my yard especially a male dog as mine is not fixed and it would cost me $$ i don't have to take care of pups. There is many reasons why you should keep them chained up."

sheep,

I'm not trying to point fingers but if you have a female in heat, it is your responsibility to keep track of her. The scent will attract males from up to a mile away. I would suggest you get your dog fixed if your not responsible enough to watch a female in heat. There are enough unwanted pets these days.

COMMON SENSE IS RIGHT

Most people dont have any is the problem. It seems like everyones feelings these days are to fragile and we are living with a bunch of cry babies.

You dont see my beating the snot out the kids that ride there bikes by my house and throw rocks at my dogs or tear up my yard. I deal with it and go and talk to there parents. People let there kids run all over the place and your dog gets out by accident and it gets shot.

Some people need to think before they do any thing stupid like shot someones pet and realize that maybey the dog owners is very responsible and the dog got out by accident.

There are a lot of crazy people out there and you could get seriously hurt by shooting soomeones pet.

just my 2 cents