• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

help with Mosquitos

crestliner17

Question

I am looking at getting a propane mosquito devide for my yard, I have spoken with people that say the work great and other that say they are useless. Does anyone have a brand (model) that has worked well for them or know of one I should avoid.

With a small daughter it limits her outside time with a heavily wooded yard.

Thanks in advance,

Mg

15 answers to this question

I dont have any info on the propane mosquito contraptions.. but this might help with your child..

My 4 year old is allergic to mosquitos and he loves to fish at the river with *daddy and mommy*..

We have REALLY good luck with the citranella based mosquito repellants.. give them a try.

Just got my new Consumer Reports magazine. They did a test on products with Deet vs others. There is a new product out called Cutter Advantage or something close to that that tested as good as one's with Deet on mosquitos. It is suppose to be more kid friendly too, with no bad smell. FYI I hope this helps.

Starman

Last summer I bought some Garlic oil and sprayed the yard. Worked great (until it rained) and is completly harmless to people or animals. You can do a web search for mosquito repellants and find it. Yard does smell like garlic for a couple of days. Mosquitoes hate garlic. I have heard of people planting garlic around there yards to repell bugs also.

There is a product out there that you can spray on your yard and it really repels those little buggers,but only until it rains.I forget the name of it so I will check at the hardware store where I bought it last year and report back.It worked GREAT

I have two mosquito magnets, a big one at the lake and a medium one at home. Both places are pretty tough at times with mosquitos. When they are bad, they are still bad, but I think it helps some. I have the one at home near the dog kennel and it seems like there are fewer mosquitos buzzing around them. The nets on each fill up fast with dead mosquitos, but there are millions more to take their place.

Bottom line, I think they help but don't expect a mosquito free yard.

OK.....someone tell me where I can buy the garlic oil mosquito repellent for the best value. I want to try it.

i have the 1 acre mosquito magnet for several yaers. its 50 feet from the deck in the back yard.its range is 200 feet by 200 feet.when in the back yard , we rarely have biting flies,mosquitos and nats. walk around the corner to the front and watch out, bugs all over. well worth the money.

If you would like to try something cheap and more "organic", my neighbors put up a bunch of bat houses last year. They stuck them in the trees so you hardly see them. The bats work overnight and they really cleaned up the neighborhood. We live on a lake and there is a 30 acre slough behind us, so we had our share of skeeters. The bats did the trick.

grin.gif

I bought some at MosquitoBarrier.com and have also seen it at various lawn and garden stores. New York City uses it in Central Park and lots of golf courses have started using it.

Thanks for all the advice. I havent decided if I will go with the magnet or the garlic, but something needs to be done because they will drain you dry right now.

Mg

You can get bat houses from Fleet Farm or Menards. But they cost like USD20 each and hence not that cheap.