• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I live in Buhl, MN and was wondering if anyone on here fishes the small lakes around here. That is where i do most of my fishing and would be interested in talking with others about those lakes.

I used to fish Forsyth and Kinney for trout and still make it out to Kinney usually once a winter if I have time while I am back. I've fished both pits there in Buhl and had mixed results in the past. There really is not much for fishing opportunities in that area unless you head West towards Itasca County or East. Spent many years fishing the pits behind you like frasier and sherman when aquafarms were raising trout and then after they pulled out. Each year there were less fish, but they were bigger each year.

Alot of those old pits have huge northern and bass in them. There is going to be a boat landing put in on the grant pit just north of buhl this summer and I am hoping to get it stocked with Lakers as it already has smelt in it as well as bass and northern. Would be nice to not have to go so far for lakers!!!! wink.gif

Short fat guy quit wasting your time and go up to Alaska to visit your brother and do some fishing up there! I have been doing pretty good up here catching Lakers and Artic Char.

WillEverett...Your in the big city I see! I am in Fairbanks and chase some lakers every chance I get.

SFG...Where is your brother located up here? Hell, with free lodgeing there is no reason not to come up and catch some big lakers.

Now that Canisteo pit in Coloraine is so popular with sport anglers for catching Lakers, I think that the DNR is going to start managing more mine pits in the area with an adequate forage base to support populations of Lakers. At least those were the plans when I worked fisheries in Rapids in 2000

Short Fat Guy...I am assuming you did most of your grocery shopping at Jubilee foods in Chisholm, am I correct? Have some friends that work there and my own mother used to work there.

alaskander...I am down here at Elmendorf AFB doing the military thing here for atleast 3 years and hopefully more. I wish we had more Laker fishing close by here but we have to drive a couple hours or so to get anywhere decent. The Char fishing is pretty good though and fishing for them makes up for not being able to catch Walleyes. Do you ever fish down this way at all?

Will...I don't get down your way very often during the winter time. During the summer when I am not in the field I like to fish the Penninsula and ship creek, other than that never done much for winter fishing close to Anchorage! You have better opportunities for ice fishing where you are than I do when it comes for lakers and convienience. Good luck and try to get out as much as you can this winter. Just got back from MN, I was fishing for a month and totally enjoyed every minute.

Alaskander

alaskander,
I have been catching some good size char down here, but not doing too much Laker fishing. Where would you suggest for Lakers around here. Can you please email me some ideas if you have any. [email protected]
I have fished Hidden Lake and I know about the Lake Louise area but thats quite a ride up there. Thanks.