• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

English Setter

sparetime

I have been considering getting an English Setter. I am strickly a upland bird hunter, no waterfowl. Any advice you can give will be appreciated. The dog will be an outside dog, with comfortable kennel located in the garage and outside run attached.

Where do I look for information on the breed, breeders, etc.

Thanks

Setterguy will give you all you need to know and more. He'll have some good contacts for you as well.

Will you hunt ruffed grouse or prairie birds? Your primary quarry may help you determine what you are looking for in a setter.

Here's my 2 cents. Setters are cool. They are on my short list of breeds I'd own. A good one will look good running and hunting and will look really, really good on point if it has the right style. If you hunt pheasant and other prairie birds you will have to deal with stick-tights (cockleburs, etc...) unless you give your dog a real short hair cut. If I were you I'd try to contact Berg Brothers Setters for starters, and Bill Holtan, and Jerry Kolter. Good luck.

gspman

I can try to answer any questions you may have, either here on the board or over email..I don't get to my email as much this time of year so feel free to call me directly at 6512480155. All the people that gspman listed would be great places to start, if you tell me what you are looking for I can try and steer you in the right direction. They are wonderful dogs, a true joy to watch in the field.

[email protected]

If you are planning on getting a english setter be prepared to walk the dog alot. Better yet, I would have a fenced in area by your house so they can work out themselves. I have a 50 yard by 15 yard fenced in area, and trying to get him tired is like trying to drownd a fish. Speaking for my dog, he is probably on the high side of spectrum in relation to running. He covers more real estate in a day than my golden retriever could in a week. His family is from esetter dot com and I had him trained professionaly, the trainer said in his 15 years training my dog was one of the most gungho he'd ever worked with. The most important consideration in picking a setter is wheather you want a big runner or close worker.

Sparetime,

If you want links to other sites for setter info let me know and I'll email them to you. The moderators seem to have removed them from my first post.

gspman

Sparetime

I have English Setter, She covers a lot of realestate.

Fenced Yard would be a must. I also take Her Duck hunting, She makes a good retreiver ( camo vest for cold wheather).

I think She likes Ducks better than upland birds.

She came from Greg Arndt off of Hwy #169 btwn Milaca and Onamia.

Radke22...

Small world!! Both of my Setters came from Kerry & Marion at Havelock as well. You aren't kidding about them covering ground. I was sort of blessed as one dog (Rosie 1999-2004) would work the fars side, while one (Jasmine) would work rather close. Both would hunt right up until you crated them and even then they were looking for more!!

I trained them myself and found out it was they who were training me... LOL!! Talk about instinct!! Both pointed wild birds by 10 weeks. On our morning walks it was really a hoot to see a pup point a bird almost as big as they were.

Lil' Jasmine is 6 now and still hunts with all the vigor she had as a pup. After her sister's death, she has expanded her range a bit. Maybe looking to make up where Rosie left off...

Ya just gotta love them Setters!! grin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

ESetter at Havelock ND, Like Radke22, I have one. She's great!! Was my first hunting dog. She had bagged 25 roosters before she was a year old with just pure instinct. After that first season my wife {a veterinarian}, took her to 6 one hr sessions of dog obedience training. The combination of the training and her natural instincts has made her more than I ever thought possible.. smirk.gif

Heres another vote for Havelock Setters. I've owned dogs from some other well known breeders (Burnt Creek Setters, GoodGoing) and my male from Havelock has been by far the best. His natural instincts are unreal. Almost trained himself. Sired by Blacksmith, but these dogs are line bred and so should all be good.

• 3 weeks later...

im not sure if there still breed setters but my English Setter came from Camp Canine kennels in Faribault Mn,

and I'll tell you what, she still continues to blow me away at 8 years old. him I've also heard great stories of his dogs from others. However his dogs are on the small end at about 45 lbs. BUT EXCELLENT INSTINCT AND PLEASURE TO BE AROUND BOTH IN AND OF THE FEILD,

breeders name is Gene Marti ph #1-507 332 8110

I BELEIVE ALL OF THEM ARE AKC REGISTERED( CANNONBALL SETTERS)CANNON BALL KEGER & CANNONBALL IVY (BITCH & SIR)OF MY DOG GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the information. I will be following up with some of the people you have listed. Thanks again. Also, I have a 2 acre lot with an adjoining 15 acres of public land. Should be enough room to run the dog. How well do English Setters do in a Kennel. Cozy, inside garage, outside run. Wife is getting tired of dog hair.

• 2 months later...

The main thing you need to determine, no matter what breed, is the style of hunting you like to do.

A lot of the guys replying to you hhve big running dogs, possibly from the Lewellynn type and with field trial backgrounds.

My setter comes from Decoverly Kennels in Pennsylvania. These folks raise foot shooting setters like your grandpa may have hunted over. He's a blue belton, weighs 70 lbs, stands tall and is a handsome devil. He works close, out to 40-50 yards, handles to the whistle well and responds to my hand signals to cover ground he's not hit. He has a lot of style the way he moves through the woods. A lot of guys don't like the bigger dogs, but he has plenty of athleticism.

I hunt grouse and woodcock, with an annual trip to South Dakota for pheasants. These dogs do well on all of these. The kennel owner just returned home from a trip to North Dakota where he hunted sharptails and pheasants.

The Lewellynn setters are smaller [35-45 lbs] and a lot of them run like raped apes. No offense to those who own these dogs, but I prefer the dog hunting for me instead of me hunting for the dog. My guy is a house dog, but my last two were outside. They make fine house and family pets. Not like my brothers Lewellynn that never stopped pacing in the house and drove everyone nuts!

Another friend of mine has a young Lewellynn that is not as big running as many I've seen, but has a 100 yard range. He's having a tough time in the grouse/woodcock woods keeping track of it in that thick cover. It will be a fine bird dog, but again, I prefer a dog that works closer.

Look up ( no links sorry) for a friend of mine in Mellen, Wis that has several nice dogs, including a new pup he recently brought home from Decoverly. Also check out decoverlykennels. Both sites have good pictures.

Whatever you do, I love the setters I've had since I was a kid and my present dog maybe even more. Being raise hunting with them, I don't think I could ever consider another breed.

Good luck with you search.

Sparetime,

The fishingminnesota host does not allow the posting of commercial businesses and so my last posting was edited and website information removed. You can email me direct at [email protected] and I will forward information on two friends of mine who raise setters. One is i Mellen, Wis. and the other is the kennel I got my last pup from