• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnetonka

What a great night to be on Minnetonka last evening! Everyone was out on the water, enjoying our alloted one nice day per week!

We started casting for Muskies in Grays Bay, around 4:00 pm, while waiting for the 3rd member of our party (The second son) to arrive, so we could pick him up at the dock. We had one follow up on a Suick and had about a 8-10 pounder smack a Perch colored Rapala, without getting hooked...pretty exciting!

The Grays Bay dock thing did'nt happen and we wound up picking up the Yeti at the docks in front of Sunsets. We worked around Wayzata bay with no luck and boogied over to Browns.

We seen several Muskies, and one whopper was so close to the boat, I could have reach out and touched him...had the trolling motor running to?

We got a few smaller Bass and even the voracious sunnies on the bass tackle. Toward evening, things started heating up!

I had a Muskie grab my Suick lure about 6 feet from the boat, startled the beejeebers out of me! He pulled, I pulled, and my reel popped right off of the rod and landed in the bottom of the boat...I did'nt know what happened? I thought my rod broke in half! My two sons were just as startled by the unexpected noise....the Yeti growled at me!

We were trying a wide variety of baits, first for Muskie and then for Bass. The Bass where more cooperative and the one son (ChickenBone Slim) found the lure of choice, a white tube jig. He managed to boat a couple of pretty fair sized Largemougth and we probably boated 8 or 10 for the 3 of us and one really beautiful colored Northern. After a couple of pictures, everything went back into the drink...! We had a ball.

I would like to add this, Grays Bay launch, for the amount of traffic it gets, is a pretty efficent deal and I would like to thank the guy in the SUV that let me back my trailer out.

I was stuck in a bad spot to be, when everyone is leaving and without this guy letting me back up into the lane, I could have theoretically been the last one out of the lot!

If you are reading this, you know who you are, THANK YOU!

So much for the weather prognosticators. Might've tried 'tonka t'day if not for the suppossed threat of boomers here. Though Polk county WI was scrambled in the mixer. Anyway, to the point: I'm also amazed at how smooth Gray's launch runs. Thanks to the traffic guru. He does his best. I was there with the wife, daughter, son-in-law, 2 little grandkids(1 1/2 & 4yrs.), and a daughter-in-law, on Memorial Monday to sight see and let the family enjoy the pleasure boat. Ours was the one the little dog jumped out of into Gray's bay while I was parking the truck and the son-in-law had to retrieve, while its owner (daughter-in-law) watched. The Fuji Pro fisherman should've gotten pictures of that one. He was just leaving as we were going in. (as I figured most of the fishin folks would be at that time of day due to recreational traffic stirring up the water and shutting off the fish) So I was able to park easily inside the lot. Coming out was a whole different story though. I was parked in the far lane by the houses to the east so I asked others already in line if they minded waiting a second or two while I backed out. I promised to go AROUND the 'through lane' (figuring that was why they made it) and get in the back of the line. WHAT A JOKE ON ME! Some knuckle for brains parked immediatly diagonally behind me took advantage of the hole I had the balls to create and jumped right in front of the kind people who let me out, directly in to the fifth spot waiting to retrieve. WHAT A ....! (nice thoughts here now, kids may be reading this) Anyway, I go all the way around, instead of going up the center isle and attemping to butt my way closer in a line that I can see is backed up four deep out in the street, as I saw about fifteen others do after me. Then I got hung up for twenty minutes behind people who are trying to get around the yo-yos who just must wash wax and dry their baby in the exit lanes before bringing it home where they could do it in their own driveway if they had half a concern for others waiting to use the ramps they were blocking the exits of! I know, 99.99% of fishin people aren't that dippy. Sorry for ranting to the choir. I waited for over an hour and a half to retrieve the pleasure craft. MY BAD! They dropped me off to get the truck at 5:15pm, well before it really gets bad around sunset. didn't exit the launch 'til 7pm. Been to Gray's on weekdays fishin and people are usually polite. What is it about crowds that turns so many folks into mindless self centered _____ you fill it in? Are they afraid that if they wait in line they won't get enough time to terrorize people on the lake? Same story on the water too. Great big boats making great big wakes well within the hundred foot rule. Never again with my grand-kids. Had heard the stories but hadn't been pleasure boating there on a holiday in over thirty years. Wow, did I learn the hard way! Thirty years ago I probably would've been one of those losing my patience and acting foolish and having words with the yokles blocking up the system, but I've always been one to wait my turn in line like most folks. The selfish spoiled yutz's who ruin it for regular folks ought to be satisfied WE won't be in THEIR way there again on a holiday. Did manage to land couple of bass back in Excelsior and almost landed a nice northern around six lbs. but didn't use a leader... I was targeting crappies with a small white twister tipped fly jig on a safety pin spinner with my 70's vintage glass rod and Zebco 33, while the family snacked and soaked up the rays. Waitin that long in line is too much on kids though. Never a dull moment.

Yes, there are some rude people out on Minnetonka. Not all are pleasure boaters...some of the fisherman are just as guilty. I was out last Saturday on Minnetonka during the Bass Tournment. I had a guy in his Pro-V cruise by me at near full speed. Just after passing me, he cut the throttle, turned 90 degrees then swerved around several other boats to go between the buoys. (I was not fishing in the buoy channel by the way.) He was close enough that I could have cast with my kids snoopy pole into his boat! Some of these guys have no respect! Or brains for that matter.