• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What would you do?

John Mickish

I'm just wondering what everyone else would do if you caught a state record game fish. Would you just take a picture and slip it back into the water and giggle with yourself or would you take it out of the water, get it certified so everyone knows and do your 15 minutes of fame along with a free years supply of split shots and hooks because that's what you where using?

I'd like to say I'd let her go, but until I am at that spot (I'm pretty sure I'll never have to make that choice) I don't know if that's what I'd really do.

I'm with you, I wouldn't want to give up my little honey hole. I normally fish smaller lakes that I don't want anymore pressure than they already get so why go through with all of the trouble?

Thats a tough one. Until it happens to me I'd be lieing if I told you I'd throw it back, but I definately wouldn't give up the Honey-Hole.I could care less about having 15 minutes of fame but it would be nice for me to look in a book and see my name to justify the countless of hours I have spent on the water chasing these fish.

If it ever did happen to me I would get it certified and take my 15 minutes of fame. The odds are it will never happen but if it does I hope its a PIG Walleye or Crappie.

I'd probably weigh her in...sorry guys. I'm a CPR guy with trophy fish, but a state record...I think I'd probably bring it in. But hey, doesn't mean I have to give up my spot, I'd just tell them I caught it in Minnetonka regardless of species, it's not like there's not enough boats there already!

Yeah, I'm with Northlander...........I would definately take the fame of catching a world record fish! Ask yourself one question: How often does it ever happen and how often does a record get broken after a record is posted??

Though my chances are slim to none, but I'll keep on tryin'

I'd keep it, I'd get it certified, I'd get my name in the books, I'd get my 15 mins of fame, I'd lie about where I caught it, I'd put it on my wall, Then I'd come on fishingminnesota.com and tell you all about it.

I'd eat it! grin.gif Just kidding...I'd do the same thing as rr56.

Yeah like the Rat says. Only I'd give out the right lake. I've been to lakes that held records I don't think that increases the numbers for very long. A Lake that could produce a record normally doesn't produce numbers or can support a crowd for the short term frenzy. I really wouldn't want to supply known bad information but I would be very UN specific about it. Ha. Odds are so small this really won't be an issue.

This question is like if you won the lottery would you quit your job? Ha. Fat Chance. Odds are Slim and None and Slim is leaving town.

People, people, people..

What happened to catch and release. I can't believe that you would keep such fish that holds the world record for what.... 15 minutes of fame. I can't believe that I am hearing that from some of you people confused.gif

O.K. O.K. I can't hold it in any longer... Of course I would keep it, get it recorded, brag terribly on F.M., mount it and then bring it to the taxidermist. blush.gif

Just thinking about catching such a fish gets my heart-a-pounding! I wish everyone the best of luck to catch such a fish.

"hooks"

Quote:

mount it and then bring it to the taxidermist.
blush.gif

Ummmm, after its mounted, Why bring it to the taxidermist?

Unless you mount your fish differntly than I do?

Or maybe "mount" has a double meaning?

grin.gifgrin.gifwink.gifgrin.gif

I hope it never happens to me. Take a little fame and glory, stick it in a pot and boil it down. What have you got?........ NOTHIN!

It sure is fun trying though!

Game fish?

I'd get on the books with it, get a tattoo commemorating the event, take TONS of pix, get a mount and then start calling the marketing offices of the hook, line, tackle, lure, rod, reel, boat, lifevest, soda, sunglasses, motor, footwear and bugspray companies I was using at the time and start negotiating endorsement deals, or at the very least sell the photos to them. If it was a LMbass I could take a couple of years off work if I caught it on a big-name crankbait.

I'd use the notoriety to plug FM, of course.

Rough fish? My wife shudders at the thought of a replica fish in her house, so we made a deal - if it's a state record fish...ANY fish...I can get a replica or mount.

So I keep chasing that 5lb yellow bullhead! tongue.gif

I would keep it and NOT post anything about it on FM so as not to get the whole "Let it go" guilt trip. grin.gif

I consider myself a C&R type of fisherman, I normally do not keep any fish unless I am having a fry the day I'm out, so I only keep the mid size fish and I have never considered getting a mount for any of the larger fish I have caught… Along with that I probably wouldn't know if it was a record, I never have a scale. And as far as taking a picture goes, with my luck, I probably would be out of disk space when it came time to take a snap shot... But, I guess, until I am in a situation (which hopefully will happen some day) it is pretty easy to say that… Good Luck…

Isn't there some way to keep it alive, depending on species, getting it weighed/measured/certified by CO, and THEN releasing it? Sounds complicated, but I bet it would be possible in some situations. And boy would you have a glow and a replica.