• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Weaver Lake & treating for weeds

1. Does anyone know if Weaver Lake in Maple Grove was treated for weeds in the last week or two?

2. Does anyone know the effect on fish after a lake is treated for weeds?

I don't know about "treated" but I do know that there have been milfoil/weed harvesters out on Weaver every summer. They make a royal mess out of the access by piling up the weeds there and the "aroma" is something real special. Last year it was some outfit out of Iowa doing the work and they had the access all screwed up over one of the few nice weekends we had. Not sure if they have been out yet this year or not.

no harvesters this year that I have seen as of yet, just lots of little orange signs on the shore line. I went out before opener to fish pannies there and they had just had it treated, was wondering if anyone knew if they did it again

I live right down the road from there so I will keep an eye out and let you know. I also know someone on the Board for the Waver Lake association, will ask her.

Well got my report from my contact at the Association (co-worker)...

"Weaver Lake actually underwent something completely different this year. We don’t have Milfoil, but we have Curlyleaf Pondweed, which dies out by mid-June. But the DNR chose to do an experimental herbicide whole lake treatment on the lake this year. It is working spectacularly!

Normally, we do the weed harvesting around Memorial Day when the weed is at its peak. Usually it looks like a carpet covered lake, but this year the Curlyleaf didn’t even reach the surface. We’re all very excited about it.

The water clarity is amazingly good for this time of year. Before I left for vacation a couple of weeks ago, the water clarity measured at 29 feet deep. Now that it is getting warmer, it is still probably around 12 feet.

Anyway, the weed that is out there is now native, which is good. We’ve got some algae now, too, because of all the Curlyleaf that is breaking down in the water. That was probably more than you wanted to know, but I’m excited about it and very involved on the committee working with the DNR.

Also, don’t be concerned about the herbicide if you want to go fishing there. It is at such a low concentration and only bleaches out the chlorophyll in plants; it is even safe to drink the lake water (not that I would - gross).

Well there it is... Thanks to my co-worker for the report and good luck fishing out there. Anytime you want to meet I am game (I have no boat).