• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How does some one make the decision to share information about his/her fishing success? On the one hand, you want to find fishing places that are not crowded, that you can have relative success at. Yet, if you share the information about the spot and the techniques you used to catch fish, especially in a forum such as this, the “honey hole” becomes crowded and possibly even over-fished.

I personally have a hard time posting my fishing triumphs on this board, for fear of this happening. Am I being selfish? I must admit, that I read this forum regularly to find out info on the local hotspots. I guess I have an irrational fear that the unscrupulous fisherman (the meat hoarder) will move into my spot and fish it out. This actually happened at one of my favorite spots a couple of years ago. A guy fished it everyday for like a week & a half, and he kept everything. He filled his 5 gallon bucket with all species and didn’t bat an eye. The spot has never been the same since then.

I would really like to brag about some of my catches here (mostly released), but I’m not sure if I can. How about you?

I've made a number of reports on the trout and fly fishing forums. Flies, fish, how many, how big, all reported...along with pictures. I don't think anyone who has read the reports has any idea where I was, since I'll only go so far as to mention watershed.

It would only seem logical that it be okay to talk about your success on a lake like Zumbro. I haven't seen anyone giving out their GPS coordinates.

Post your successes! Let everyone know what worked and what didn't. It's what the site is for. Nobody is expected to give out their location, though.

I agree with WxGuy.

If you read all of Crappie Toms reports do you think you could find the exact spots he has mentioned?

GPS locations could be a way to wreek havoc on a good spot, but just letting everybody know what the presentation was used and how deep they were helps the novice person get into a few. That's what this site is for, to help other people learn how to fish.

Don't do like I did once and give out a specific location. I caught a lot of static from that. One guy actually got really angry at me, almost threatening me with an whoopin.

I pretty much share presentation techniques that are working or have worked in the past. I don't think one should expect exact locations anyways. Part of the whole deal is going out, exploring and doing the work yourself. I know last year someone was complaining about the lack of infomation shared on Zumbro and if your looked at about a month prior there were like 50+ posts on it with all kinds of info.

I think it also depends on the species and body of water as well. I'd be more reluctant to share a good crappie spot on Lake Zumbro than I would a good musky location say on Lake Minnetonka. Case being I'm comfortable that if someone goes to Lake Minnetonka and catches a musky it is with almost certainty that fish is going back into the water, where as if I share the Lake Zumbro location the situation would probably play out differently. That being said if I ever start having musky success on Zumbro about all you'll probably get out of me is a report the fish was caught and what I caught it on.

Andy

Howdy everyone,

I'm new here but here's what im gonna do as Dan said share the info what worked, what didnt etc and appromatelty area of my fishing spots. How big. small and how great it was being able to be outdoors and fishing. Plus anyone interested in canoeing down the area creeks, streams or rivers let me know and maybe we have to hook up. Good 2 ya all and hope to see ya one the water

EJ

No one is saying you have to post much of anything. As far as who reads what, remember that there are competing sites that read this stuff too. The vast majority of those who are active on this particular board are very conservation conscious...they may keep a few to make a meal but don't stockpile.

There are times when I intentionally become "vague" about the fishing and my successes. I do not give specifics about areas I fish.

While sharing information is nice, I do not subscribe to spoon feeding either. Learning is part of the program too. Something else to consider is how much, exactly, do people grasp from what we report. To make my point.....I have personally taken individuals out in my boat and handed them all the fish they could ever imagine catching in a morning of fishing using nothing but plastics. The very next day I have seen the same persons anchored up, well away from where we fished with outstanding success, drinking beer and soaking minnows. Without much luck mind you. Some people cannot fish without bait being involved, so they honestly pose little threat.

Even so, when the fish are at risk of being over harvested, I set my own limits of five or six fish so I can enjoy a couple meals. I don't give specifics. And I get pretty darned fussy about those who jump in the boat with me. I still post, but you will not see me dot the spots on a map.

Tom, I swear the minnows were about to die and the beer was getting stale... It had to be done. wink.gifgrin.giftongue.gif

It's normally not the people that are active on this or other boards that are the problem. There are plenty of people who read these boards for the sole purpose of figuring out where the fish are. Someone posted where they were catching nice trout a year or 2 ago and I talked to someone who had read that and he and his buddies went there and 'limited out' 3 or 4 times with most fish being over 12 inches long. I have always been leary of giving information about where I fish for trout and smallmouth and that just sealed the deal for me. My son and I will both post about how we did fishing, but we never say where. I will let people know what flys, spinners, plastics worked etc but you'll never read a location from me.

The bottom line is that I think it's ok to report on how you did and what you used, but I don't think it's a good idea to say where. At least on the streams and rivers in our area. It might not be so bad to say which lake you fished since the fish move around so much more, but if I actually did any lake fishing I might be tight lipped about that too.

Wx....Thats a bad excuse for taking minnows. Let them die, but put them between a couple of bread crusts and chow them down. A sandwich of that nature would go good with stale beer.

MarkP....You are going to find the read from all walks here. Many simply enjoy the content and the information. There will be some though, that use the information for other than sporting purposes. These are the ones who rely on the fine points....they can't figure it out for themselves.

I one other thing you need to take into account is the body of water. Some lakes have what are known as "community spots" that kinda everyone knows about. I would have no problem steering someone who's looking for a "good place to start" fishing a lake to one of these areas to start the learning curve. I wouldn't go as far to say that I did great on Point X last night you should go fish there tonight.

Andy

I have gather much good information from this site. I put it to use this spring and had a stellar evening one day that I shared about. The next day when I went back there were 3 new people at the location I talked about. Oh well. I'll still continue to talk about my success but perhaps not quite as specific to the exact location? Not sure...

Ok, this past weekend I fished a local body of water and had very good success. I actually saw these big bluegills just sitting there in about 8 inches of water. As I’ve never seen this before I wondered what was happening, so I put on a small hook with a small shot about 8 inches above it, and tipped it with about 1/3 of a crawler & tossed it right next to the fish. Sight fishing of this manner is very intriguing to me. The gill saw the bait flutter down next to it, but had to wait approximately 20 to 30 seconds before it would approach and slowly inhale the bait. I must have caught (and released) approximately 20 fish in this manner between 10:30 and noon on Sunday. The best I can figure is that these were large males, cause they were milking and didn’t have the fat bellies that the egg bearing females have. Can anyone explain this to me? About the only thing I could think of was the rain we had the day and night before made them look for crawlers washing into the water.

Oh, and by the way, is there something wrong with using live bait? I have actually fished at times when plastics have out produced live bait, but to me it is a rare occasion. If you release the fish, what does it matter what you use to catch them? As long as it doesn’t harm the fish, I see nothing wrong with live bait. I guess it a matter of personal enjoyment, but I don’t have a problem with threading a crawler on a hook. Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I’ll just try being as vague as necessary.

Bedded male sunfish are defensive creatures and will attack anything the enters the zone around the nest he has claimed as his. More than likely he was not looking to eat that crawler piece, but was simply cleaning house or getting an unidentifiable threat out of the nest. Small fish, insect larva, crayfish all pose a threat to the nest. Anything put in there will get removed and if the bull has a pit to fill, he might even have a snack while doing chores.

As for the plastic. Plastic does not replace live bait. There are times when live bait is the only thing that will take fish. People who fish plastic in confidence know though that the plastic fishes faster, more thoroughly, cleaner, and is less likely to deep hook a fish. It is also well known that, as a rule, more and larger fish are taken using plastic. Changing water is not a thing to fret about nor is kicking over the bucket when things get hectic. If the air is cold, the real benefit of plastic is not having ones hands wet constantly during a good run.

The key here is confidence. Some people are simply not confident in plastic and it doesn't get a fair shake with them. Nor will it serve them well. And then there are those who just like the purity of fishing with bait.

There is no right way to fish that anyone can tell you. It is what you, or better how you, want to fish. If it works, go for it.

Of note though....If you are using live bait during the spawning season, you should be using a longer "Aberdeen" type hook and one maybe a size larger than you'd normally use. This will make it much more difficult for those really large sunfish to inhale the bait. They then can be released without their having been gotten hooked too deeply. Of the several hundred sunfish I have caught this spring, not one went back to the water bleeding.

Thanks Tom. I didn’t think that sunfish made beds in that shallow of water, but what you said made sense. So were they waiting for the females to come and lay the eggs? I think of the 20 or so fish I caught, maybe only one looked like a female with eggs and that one was smaller than the males. These males may have been the biggest sunfish I have ever seen.

They could be waiting for the fun half or they could be guarding eggs.