• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Report May 30-June 3

Hey guys, I just back home from a Fantastice week of vacation. I was staying at FISHMIESTERS(all caps just for you Dave). We couldn't have asked for better weather. We had no real fronts roll through. A great mix of sun and clouds every day. And the wind blew from the east southeast almost the entire time.

Now for the fishing report. I wouldn't say that we struggled the first 3 days, but fish were tough to come by. We were probably only boating 20 walleye a day between 5 guys. We got stuck in a rut of fishing "classic" walleye spots. Rocky points, steep breaks that flattened out, reefs, and the like. In the first 3 days we only had 4 fish in the freezer to be taking home. All 151/2 -163/4(and fat as I've ever seen).

Luckily, we had a great guy show us one of his crappie honey holes wink.gif We caught some amazing crappie on Monday and tuesday nights.

Wednesday, after struggling again for eyes, we went back to the crappie hole. Things were much slower that night. I'm not much of a guy to sit around and stair at a bobber for hours on end, so I talked my dad into doing some casting in the shallows for some slimmers. He was throwing big bucktails hoping for a big momma. I was throwing small cranks. BANG! &# northern. Then another 5#er. The other guys decided to also start doing it. They ended the night with 2 walleyes, both over 20". And we were fishing less than 5 foot of water. We didn't think much of it that night.

Thursday, the wind continued to blow out of the south east, east. Thurday, we decided to swich things up a little and run and gun a lot. Throwing cranks around islands with water around 10' or less. We noticed that all 4 of our keeper fish came from less than 10 fow the first 3 days, so we decided to target those areas. Thurday, mid morning we split up to find them. My dad and I started concentrating on wind blown shore lines. Things started to come together for us. My dad and I got 2 nice eyes in less than 10 min. on our first shore line. His was 20 and mine was 23". Mine weighed in at 4.5#. Just a fatty like me. WE went back and ate a late lunch and went back out fishing at 5.

I was out voted, and we ended up back at the crappie hole. I wasn't going to sit and stare at a bobber on my last night there, and neither was my dad. We ended up fishing a back bay that the wind had been blowing into for 3 days. It took us less than 6 cast to hook up with a nice 16.75" eye. We kept working the area and hit a 21"er. It didnt take long for the other boat to put down the bobbers and join us. We ended the night with 8 keepers between 2 boats, all from 15 - 16.99".

We figured that maybe walleyes were like turkeys. You put them to bed in one spot, they should be there the next morning. Friday, morn. my dad and I hit the spot again. Slight SE wind blowing. We found them again. They were concentrated in a 200 X 50 yard strech of weeds. We found an area that didn't have weeds growing up off the bottom more than a foot. All the areas around it seemed to have grass growing up 2-3' up off the bottom. I put out couple of markers were we got our first two fish of the morning, and we caught 10 more eyes over the slot in less than an hour. We ended up filling out our 5 person limit that morning with a 3 nice eyes.

Thanks fismeister for the great hospitality. Everyone of the guys had a blast. I think that 5 more guys are hooked on Rainy.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks Paul.

A few things that I forgot. Well, I didn't forget, the wife was P Oed that I hadn't unloaded the suitcase before I took care of this. A guys got to have priorities though.

Minnows were the only live bait that worked for us. I absolutely drowned a half doz. leeches and crawlers, and caught two 10" eyes. We didn't notice a pref. between rainbows or shiners. Both did about the same. One trick that we learned on the trip is that we could keep a bunch of minnows alive on the island just by putting then in a cooler and adding a block of ice. We kept close to 6 doz. minnows alive for 4 days with no problems. And speaking of minnows, the guys at the Outdoorsman were more than generous with their portions. Some good info from them also.

We also dedicated a bunch of time the first 3 days throwing cranks for smallies. We caught a grand total of ONE! I couldn't figure those little buggers out at all. I pitched tubes up to slow tappering, rocky points. I threw every crank in the box. I don't know what to say other than I hope I find them next time.

Water temps varied greatly. We found temps anywhere from 51 to 69 degrees. All of our crappies and good walleyes came from water greater than 63 degrees. We found spots where the water temp on one side of the island was 52, and the other side was 59. When we marked fish out on reefs in water that was deeper than 20', all of the fish that we caught were less than 12".

One other interesting thing that we noticed when we were gutting eyes, was that all of our fish that came from water say 10' or deeper, had stomachs full of either small crawfish, or some sort of larva. All of the keepers that were caught less than 10', had completely empty stomachs. I also noticed bugs flying around that looked a lot like May flys, but we noticed no larva streaks on the water. There wasn't that many bugs flying around, other than the state bird (the misquitos). Dam near carried us off the dock cleaning our fish about 9:30 or so. Bring your deep woods off after shave with you, you're going to need it tongue.gif

MR. W.,

GLAD YOU GUYS HAD A GOOD TIME, EXCELLENT REPORT & VERY HONEST, THE KIND OF REPORTS FISHERMAN COMING UP ENJOY. MY BUDDY & I DID VERY GOOD IN THAT BAY TONIGHT, ALSO HAD A FRIEND FISHING CRAPPPIES NEAR US WHO FILLED OUT, WE KEPT SOME DANDY WALLEYES TOO. HOPE YOU GUYS MAKE IT UP AGAIN SOMETIME!!!

THANKS, SINCERELY,

FISHMIESTER

I forgot to mention that gold jigs produced the best for us. Tried all different kinds and always ended up going back to the gold. Rapala Tail Dancers were the goto cranks for us. Especially up in the weeds. Golden chub and redtail chub were the best colors.

Did you guys get the eyes on that weed flat that I was telling you about?

MR. W.,

FISHED THE ROCKS. 32ND OZ. JIGS, TUBES, NO BAIT. THIS ALLOWS THE JIG TO FLOAT, BUT YET DROP EVER SO SLOW...DRIVING THOSE CRAPPIES CRAZY. THE WALLEYES, SAME SETUP, BUT 16TH OZ. JIGS,TIPPED WITH MINNOWS., DID TRY THE WEEDS FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES & CAUGHT 4 SLIMERS, THEN THE 15 HORSE MOTOR WE WERE USING KEPT CUTTING OUT, SO WE HAD TO ANCHOR. WE WERE PULLING THIN FINS.

SINCERELY,

FISHMIESTER