• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buffalo Smallies

I have been fishing Buffalo now for the last 4 years on and off, But last night was the first time that I caught a smallmouth bass, and a nice one at that. (17in) I caught it while fishing for walleyes, (caught 3 of those last night too). In fact it was kind of a wierd night. We caught 3 walters, 6 crappie, 1 smallie, 8 largemouth, 1 catfish (NOT a bullhead), 1 sunfish, 1 northern, all in the same area.

I looked on the DNR webiste and they haven't surveyed any smallies on the lake. Any one else catch any there?

I have caught some real nice smallies early in the year, but only then. It seems by June they are gone.

I caught a smallie ice fishing late ice last year. It was also a decent fish, maybe 2 1/2 lb'er. What kind of depths are you targeting at Buffalo at this time?

Been fishing 6-15 FOW. For me all depends on what the wind has done or is doing.

Last year this time, I caught a 19 1/2". Its funny because I was new to the area last year and I had people keep telling me there is Smallies in Buffalo. I totally didn't believe them until SWACK! I would say almost pushing 5 pounds. The biggest smallie of my life. I havn't caught one since though. Yesterday however 36" Fatty Pike, that was also a nice surprise since I didn't think the Big Buff had that large of pike in it either.

Buffalo has big everything. I can't believe how the lake keeps producing such nice size fish. Especialy crappies! Although it does seem to cycle pretty strong. The large end size has realy slipped over the years. I realy wish people would start realeasing crappies over 11" or so. 1-2lb crappies used to be relativly common out there. Not any more. The walleyes (for the most part) tend to run small also. I know big ones are caught, but alot more could be if folks where more willing to let the 3lbers go. Buffalo has the potential to realy be a trophy lake! And to be a lot more consistant lake for size and numbers. I don't think it will happen due to the numbers of people who do fish it. It's proximity to the cities, (not to mention the size of Buffalo and the surounding towns these days), and the keep everything attitude ALOT of those people have. And, a lack, or seeming lack of interest and willingness of those people and the DNR to protect this natural trophy factory and let it reach it's full potential!

There is big northern in there. 10# through the ice last year.

Nice Pike! I've seen quite a few that size come out of there. Some big ones on shore too, dead. So the potential is there! If those 10lbers are released, We could have 15-20lbers. The thing is though, Everyone has to start releasing those nice fish of all species so they can reach HOG size.

I would guess the pike I caught Sunday was around 12-13#, it was fat. It also had a big red bleeding scar on its side. I couldn't get a picture because I was by myself, don't you love that. Fish face I totally agree with you, it makes me sick when I see peoples cathing big ol walters, then splunk into the livewell. What for????? That lake like you said has lots of potential to produce some real trophies. This lake gets abused hard, I would say I notice it more in the winter, but thats because Im on there everyday. Last summer I saw a guy with a full stringer of 20"-28" fish + or -. come on guys...

Oh this subject is Buffalo Smallies...

Don't keep those either

There are other lakes in the area that are good lakes. BUT! Buffalo is unieque in that, it Gets incredibly pounded each winter, and summers are getting busier and busier. No other lake in the area gets the pressure Buffalo gets, with the exception of Clearwater. Inspite all the pressure, Buffalo, (and for that matter Clearwater),is still a pretty good lake. If the DNR would help out, it could be an incredible lake. P.S. Don't forget all the tournament/league pressure that wasn't there ten years ago. That in itself isn't bad. The attention that they (leagues/tournys) create is though.

FF5

I guess I am confused.

You state the fishery is amazing, yet you want the DNR to make it what??

I agree, its amazing the pressure that lake takes, and each time I have fished it, I have had some pretty good outings.

In my eyes, the DNR has a very special lake in Buffalo that apparently doesnt require special regs to be a good fishery.

What do you want the DNR to make Buffalo into? Heck, I think the DNR has a lot of other lakes with real issues that need to be addressed before we look at Buffalo and say its in trouble.

Dont get me wrong, maybe years down the road Buffalo will need some extra attention, but today its doing fantastic.

Other lakes need immediate attention. Not Buffalo.

I also find it odd on how much pressure Buffalo gets & it still is a great lake. I think the Sheriff (not DNR) should be out there just to keep some of the yahoo's under control.

I moved here 2 yrs ago, and buffalo is a neat lake for fishing. WE ALL CAN HELP.

#1. read the regs very close. smile.gif

#2. If you see some bonehead, with a several large eyes over 24" tell him That your ONLY ALLOWED 1 over 24". confused.gif

#3 culling of fish, PAGE 17 Possessing Fish, 2nd paragraph.

That also includes ice coolers, buckets and baskets.

#4. Have t.i.p. hotline as a saved number on your cell phones to get faster reporting. To catch and maybe stop some of these poachers/ mad.gif guys who haven't read the regs.

It's the crappies that I'd like to see protected on Buffalo the most. The size has realy shrunk over the years. Average size and top end size. The ten fish limit doesn't help a lake like Buffalo much, or panfish in general. It used to almost rival Red for average size and numbs. Walleyes & big pike could use more protecting too. I'll bet you 6 out of ten "keeper,& trophy size" fish that are caught out there, are killed. With the increased pressure the lake has recieved in the past 5-10 years, the size will deminish till you have just another metro lake that used to be soo good. You guys are from this area, you know there are ton of lakes where you can go to and catch a meal of fish, walleyes or panfish. The little ones that are hot for a year or two, Cedar Maple, John, Granite, Wavery, Howard etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. They don't get hit nearly as hard as Buffalo. I am not a catch and release everything fanatic! I do love to catch big fish, even panfish, and it is getting harder and harder to do that close to home except for the species that are activly protected, like Muskies and S.M. Bass. I love Big crappies and think we've got our own Red lake right in Buffalo.

How have the walleyes been there. I think I'm gonna hit it tomorrow afternoon.

So I went to Buffalo on Saturday at about 9:00 am. Yeah, I didn't know that they closed the main landing due to the Buffalo Days deal. I said "screw it" and went to Sarah. Yup, 1 sunnie & 1-1/2 hours later it rained. Hopefully tomorrow will be better! I didn't know the milfoil was so bad on Sarah.

hoggs, are you sure it s milfoil i know the curly leaf cabbage is really high right now. You can see from Hi-way 55. You could have went ot the north access on buffalo or the south access. The fishing on buffalo has been fine,if your willing to do some searching around.

• 2 weeks later...

It got green in a hurry! But now the fishing gets real good, 26.5" last Monday, going out again tonite.

One boat from the fishing league caught 12 bass, 6 pike and 1 walleye all in the channel to Deer. remember to release large fish.

Did not make it to Buff last night, pulled cranks on lead-core on Pulaski last night 10-midnight. What a great night w/ the full moon. Way too many floating weeds though, made it real tough for trollin.