• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

down rigger speed and temp sensors

I want to get a unit for finding the thermocline easier and getting an accurate speed at the cannon ball, and was thinking of the sub-troll 900 or the fish hawk unit. Has anyone ever used or owned either unit and have anything good or bad to say about it?

I have used both and prefer the FishHawk of the two. Cannon has their own version now that will fit other riggers too with a shielded cable. I did not like either the Fishawk or the Sub troll. Neither works as advertised. When you get deep the signal sometimes gets messed up or if there is a cross current. I have not tried the new Cannon system because it only uses 200' cables and I need more. I now use just a Koch. Its the size of a pocket watch and works perfect everytime. You just slip it on, send it down, raise it back up, and it tells you in 5' increments the temp. It does not tell speed however. My speed gauge is my rod tips they are more accurate than any measuring device that I've seen. the koch is around $60.00 too vs. $600+ for the Fishawk. Good luck.

End of the Line

Ok, never heard of Koch.

Where can one find out more about that unit?

Thanks

I found this wireless temp unit on the net.

WirelessThermometer.jpg

It goes for $80 and has a range of 150'. I'm not sure how it will work in the water? The sensor is sealed. You can also add 3 additional sensors for $38 each. I'll pass on info when I try it out. Worse case I bought an outdoor thermometer.

Hey BWT - I called the manufacturer on that item. They are checking with tech to see if it will function at 150'. Have you spoken with anybody about that? Looks like a cool unit...

Lota Lota...

Well after much deliberation I have decided to get the new cannon system. I ordered it from marine general the other day and am looking foward to trying it out. Its alot of money, but it will give you the speed,temp, water clatiry and actual lure depth, so no more guessing the depth from blow-back. Now thats if it does what it claims to do, like Joel said some of the units don't. There's only one way to find out though and if it does work it will greatly increase my catch I am guessing. I will post how the unit works when I get it and let you know if it is a thumbs up or a thumbs down product.

I tried a simalar unit last year and she blew apart at about 90'. Worked well up to that point but the refresh rate wasn't the greatest. It took like 30 to 45 seconds to update the temp.

Cyber, Did you return it and get a refund or did you have to eat it?

I just read an article about these sensors in Great Lakes Angler where it was suggested that a person calibrate these units as most are inaccurate to 3 to 5 degrees. The author was speaking about this as the optimum temp for feeding on some fish are plus or minus 1 to 2 degrees, so these temp sensors could lead you a stray if they are not very accurate. He gave advice of using a cup of ice and water, where a regular thermometer is used to find 32 degrees in this mixture where you then place your temp sensor into the mixture in and see what the difference is. If there is, then calibrate the unit to 32 degrees. From there, your set on finding the right temps. He also made note of most locator temps being off too, and they could be calibrated as such.

Just a little tid bit I thought I would throw out there, as a lot of these units are pretty spendy and a person should want them to work properly out of the box, but in reality the unit might be off.

I have the Sub-Troll 900 and it works very well. The speed and temperature at the ball has been useful out on Lake Michigan. They are a little spendy.

I have the sub-troll unit on my boat, and have been pleased with it for three years. If you use the coated downrigger wire, and plastic-kote all of your connections, I don't have a problem getting accurate info from 120' down to the surface. The unit works well, but I have to replace the 9 volt batteries often. A couple of friends of mine have had the cannon units, and have had nothing but trouble with the units. That was why I got the Sub-troll unit, plus I have heard that the Fish-hawk causes problems with the lowrance fish finders.

you should be able to find the thermocline by using your electronics. depending on what you have, you can change the settings and find the thermocline. thats what I use, but I have a higher end unit.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Theroclines, Sounders and Thermometers are like second cousins. A sounder worth 2 cents will show a thermocline.

But a thermometer will only give you the temps.

For the big lake troller, it makes no difference what the break temps are unless its its in the prefereded range.

Having trolled Superior for 30 years, I can tell you your not looking for thermoclines. Believe me I've had sounders capable of marking clines and its very seldom that I've marked them. Look for the sharp temp breaks on top or later on in the summer with a probe down on your rigger. In this case and what the original post referred to was temps down.

The Koch would give the casual along with the serious fisherman the upper hand at a low price for targeting trout and salmon on Superior.

Well so far talking to people and reading the posts I have heard that all of the units have some people who like em and some who don't think thier worth the money. I had some extra dough I was saving and ordered the cannon unit mostly like Frank said to find the preferred temps of my target species not so much to just find the thermocline.

Early its mostly a top bite but as the water warms the fish will move deeper obviously, and this is just another tool to help shorten the time in finding those schools of fish. The speed and blow back depth will also help ya dial right into the right presentation for that day. Like I said when I get it in the mail and hook it up, I'll give it a try and let everyone know if it works like they claim.

lotalota, I emailed them and they said they would consult a tech and get back to me. I'm wondering about placement for the

base unit in order to get a signal from the sensor. I'm guessing you might have to hold it over the side of the boat?

I got my Koch at Marine General of course. Think I paid the same ($60.00) as the gentlemen did at Cabelas.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to get back and let you know how that new cannon system worked. I had it out yesterday out of the knife river and it worked great. It updates the changes really fast and I am pleased with it. The only draw back is you have to leave it hooked up all the time and leave your down riggers on all the time or do what I do now. I just take off my down rigger and wind up the cable and route it in the boat when I am going to use it.

TEMP WORKS BUT CHANGES FAST ON THE PONT SO CHECK IT OFTEN THE POND HAS LOTS OF CHANGES IN CURENT AND WIND KEEP IN MIND THE TEMP MATERS WERE YOU ARE AND COLLOR AND SPEED. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP UP WITH THE CHANGE OUT THERE.