• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am hedding out to Maple Lake some time next week to pre-fish for a tournament. Does anyone know that lake real well on where to start. Where do the bigger fish usually hold out, in shallow or deep water. Is it a good dock lake any help and tips would be great.

Lots of milfoil in there. The outside edges can be good as well as docks. The whole lake holds a nice population of bass.

Well waltinader we'll find the spots today. I'll see you in the tournament

~Matt Jung

Hi,

How'd you guys do on Maple last night (Thurs. 9th). I was out pre-fishing for my league night and saw everyone heading out.

I caught some nice ones. Biggest two were 3.5 and 3.0....

Ole cool.gif

Our tournament is tomorrow morning. From 6-1.

Yesterday was good, we found a few spots and even some new ones. Hopefully it doesn't rain too much and dirty the water up. I've got my routine for tomorrow, hopefully the fish will cooperate.

~Matt Jung

How did you do Matt? I was also out on Maple in a seperate tourney on Saturday morning. We had a nice 5 fish weight of 12.4 lbs.

Were you in the second group that had a tournament out there? The one's that were scheduled to weigh-in at 1? I was in the Bass Tracker. My partner and I didnt do all that well. We caught alot of fish but all were 12". We ended up weighing in only 3 fish. Were all your fish deep? That was where alot of our guys found their fish.

~Matt Jung

That lake is like a circus on the weekends. I was out on Sunday and we caught a few good ones. One was 4.2lbs. Got a few in the slop but overall they were pretty negative.

Wish I could do that on league night! <geesh>

Ole

We were in the 1:00 weigh-in group. Caught all of our fish in less than 5 FOW. Had a blast. Topwater bite was great early. Then, had to move to senkos.

I should have came over and talked with you guys. In less than 5 FOW, thats what I was fishing, guess the big ones just didn't like me. Most of our guys had them anywhere from 10-20 FOW.

~Matt Jung

Hey purplesoul,

Shoot me an email if you would. I have a league night coming up and I'd like to get some info if you'd be kind to share.

Regards,

Ole

[email protected]

TNFL- we never left the main basin. Caught all of our fish on the West side of the main basin. The wind was blowing in on that shoreline so I think that helped.

We had a tournament out there the weekend after opener and the top two bags were in the 17# range and I came in with 1 oz under 15# for third. We were all culling by 10:00 am. or so

Fish were on inside weed edges and on drop-offs. Fishing shut off when the rain started - at least for bigger fish.

Daze Off

Daze off,

What was working for you if you don't mind me asking? That sounds like some nice bags. Way to go!

Ole

Ole -

Thanks - was a mixture of baits - senkos, jig/plastic (Lake Fork Creature), Jig w/ skirted twin tail, jigworms, flukes. Not sure what the others used different than these.

Big fish shut down quickly in the rain though. Culled at least 4 fish but only gained ounces with each cull.

You have success there?

Daze Off

Daze off,

I've only fished it twice and it was kind of tough. I'm starting to figure it out, I think. So far it's not one of my favorite lakes. I appreciate your input!

I'll let you know how we do Monday.

Thanks,

Ole

Well....how did it go? Monday has come and gone.

Ole's in canada for a week but him and his grandson Ty took 3rd. I know he found the fish off outside weed edges fishing with a carolina type rig if I remember right. 5 fish 12 pounds or so.

Not bad bag considering the negativity in the bass lately.

I took the above tips and couldn't get anything to go on the texas rig along the west side weed edges. I tried a spinnerbait too and nothing.

I did do a little dock fishing and got several smaller fish using senko's.Last dock I had a nicer bass on but spit the hook. Caught one measly PIKE, but really wasn't fishing for em' anyway.

Towards dusk I fished topwater....nothin'!

TIPS on how to fish Maple Lake would be appreciated. Lots of vegetation around the docks. How do I fish the weedlines?!?

I was on maple lake on fri and all I can say is

don't under estamate the dirty water.Go getem they are there

Not that I am a expert there by any means but any success I have had during the weekends has been deep weedlines with a carolina rig or jig-n- pig fishing through the slop. There are certain areas where you get weed and bottom changes quickly. Reeds to curly leaf to hard bottom. Milfoil mats to drop off. These areas are good. I believe that alot of the bigger fish on this lake like quick access to deep water. The traffic on the weekends can be unbearable.

Jimbo...when you say dirty water, what do you mean??

I take it you have not made it down to the far end of the lake.The water is very dirty like it is stir up from wind.(maybe)But I would say it is like this all the time.With the high sun last fri we did very well.Big pike,Lm bass,crappies.Like I said don't under estamate the diry water.they are there for a reason.

Jimbo I was out Wednesday night with the gusty winds (holding on to my hat all night mad.gif) but made a ok night out of the deal. Didn't go back to the dirty water until later in the night and got a pike and bass for the efforts. Guys coming in that evening were doing well up in the "tainted waters".

Should have listened to you and spent the whole night up there. Just didn't have the right combo- fished jig n pigs and buzzbaits. Spinner baits and rap's were the ticket in that stuff.