• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First time on Cass-need some help

I'm going to be on Cass for the first time all next week. I'm staying in Allen's Bay and I'm looking for primarily walleye and muskie, but I would like to try for some perch or crappies. Are there some good walleye spots in Allen's Bay so I don't have to make long runs to different parts of the lake? For muskies, I heard reeds are a good place to start...Is this right? Any advice on spots, bait, and any other general advice is greatly appreciated.

One more thing.....I heard Lake Windigo has some nice bass in it. Is the lake easy to access from the north end of Star Island?

All I can tell ya is to be on the lookout for an 18 foot alaskan from the Shoe that will be captained by a guy that will remind you of Belushi of Animal House days. The other occupants will be the jouster ( will have on full body plastic jousting vest ) and Maginot who will be sipping grand mariner from a styrofoam cup....

Stay as far away from them as possible. You'll know when you are getting close as the cigar smoke will look like the boat has a dang smokestack....stay far away.....

I would hook with the Colonel or Jones and let them give you a lay of the land ( per se )

Texan

Texan's advice to hook up with a guide is well worth your investment.

Since I am not a MuskyHunter, I have no advice for you. But I have been in Windigo many times and there are nice LMB in there. Unfortunately, it is no easy portage unless you get 4 guys to carry/drag in a 14-16' rowboat. When we were young, 4 of us would drag an 18' aluminum in, so I guess it depends on how determined you are. Beautiful way to spend a day if the weather cooperates for sure.

You are in a nice bay to start your search for both. Although it is early for muskie, and the bullrushes are not up or green, look on your map for structure that will produce weedlines, you can see the nubs once you get up here. Boomerang is not far from you, look for similar structure. Hit the flats and the sharp breaks around the islands in the bay.

The weather has been very unstabile and we are due for a nice stretch of decent weather. When it comes, if your here, they are really going to go on a feed. Every walleye that I have cleaned is completely empty of food. Good sign for the next week or two. Have a good trip,

Col Ron @ Cass Lake Lodge.

Musky Tail (Tail for short),

If you see this handsome group that the Texan was talking about, just follow us (unless you got some issues with cigar smoke). Allen's Bay is darn good fishing grounds, and I spend quite a bit of time in there after the spring rush up to into Kitchie.

Cast or troll Mepps spinners wherever you see weeds, or where you know there will be weeds in a few weeks. Mepps #3-5 work the best. Some of the goofy color ones work real good. Black with green dots, etc, etc.

Perch fishing around the Potatoe Islands is usually good. Just use a slip sinker rig and a minnow.

Adios for now, and the Good Lord willing and the river doesn't rise I'll be at the Shoe tomorrow around noon!!!

Take care!!

Gowdy cool.gif

Good luck Gowdy....hope the weather and the fishies (and the good Lord) cooperate.