• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good Reproduction Taxidermist

Was wondering if anyone could help me find a good taxidermist to make a reproduction of trophy fish I caught in Canada last week. I was fishing for bass and northern and tied into a 47.5 inch musky. The fish was caught and released without harm.

Also, anyone have any ethical problems with getting a reproduction made of a fish caught out of season. It was a thrill of a lifetime for me.

Thanks for your help.

Ethical problems? Heck no! Nice fish. Wish I could help with a reproduction mount but I can't. Good luck, and congrats!

I can't help with the replica either but I don't think there's anything wrong with what you did. Since you were fishing bass and pike, I assume you weren't using a 12" Suick or some other muskie bait, and you caught a heck of a nice fish. Good job and great fish. Sounds like you treated it with respect, snapped your pic and let it go. That's the way it should be. cool.gif And, I'd probably get a replica of it too...

Click on the sponsors link and look for fiber tech.

You all should check out the Lake Vermilion Forum. There is a topic very similar to this where an angler caught a nice musky while walleye fishing and took a picture before releasing. One of the moderators (local guide) ripped into him for breaking the law by taking a brief moment to snap a picture instead of immediately releasing. It has turned into a pretty explosive thread on both sides of the issue. Pretty entertaining to read. smile.gif

I'm not all that familiar with Canada laws, so I can't really comment on that. In Minnesota, however, I did call the Minnesota DNR for clarity and according to the laws if you catch a fish out of season it should be releasd boatside without pulling the fish out of the water for a photo. This was the big issue on the Lake Vermilion thread, the local guide took with the angler. As mentioned the thread is a pretty interesting read.

On your question about where to get the replica made, in the musky world one name pretty much stands out above the rest and that is Fittante. If you do a Yahoo search your will be able to find their website pretty easily.

Congrats on the catch.

Andy

Thanks for the input. I was using one of the new Rapala X-raps. This is now my new favorite lure. I was outfishing my boatmates 2 or 3 to 1 with that lure. Mainly casting for northern and bass. Stopped by Tom's taxidermy near Albert Lea today and he was charging $15.50 per inch plus more for any wood and/or name plates. Sounds like with him it could get close to $800. Quite a bit more than I wanted to spend. I'll have to keep checking and I'll check the recommendations listed above.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If you're going to get reproductions made go through Fibertech. They were the original and 99.99% of all mounts are coming through them or their molds. Generally you will save money going through them.

Be sure to ask if they still have a FishingMN.com discount.

Fibertech - Click Here

Warning: you are to immedialtey release out of season fish. Taking the time to take pics of out of season fish, held up out of the water is not doing that and COs will ticket you.

Rick,

Thanks for the FiberTech recommendation and the legalities heads up. I was aware it was illegal to target out of season fish but was unaware it was illegal to snap photo of one caught accidentally but it does make sense. Enjoyed talking to Mike at FiberTech and will probably go with him. Never got a reply from Fittante.

Thanks All!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      The majority of docks can't be put it. Water is over the top of pretty much every permanent dock.  Very few docks are in. 
    • cm012419
      Crappies are all up shallow in the south metro. Caught this one shore fishing with a beetle spin from a more secluded lake without much access. All of the crappies were between 7-9 inches with this 11.5" being the exception
    • Wanderer
      A co-worker reported they had some the best fishing ever on V last weekend.  Trolling 6-8 feet in the morning with HJ10’s.  Where the water temps were in the mid/low 50’s
    • PSU
      Those campsites are right across the water from us. Seem pretty well protected and I haven't heard of challenging over there. Holiday weekends they fill up very fast
    • mdogdaddy
      My son camped on Hinsdale with his aluminum runabout. Nice site but walking across the hull parked on uneven ground he separated a couple of the rivets.
    • herm
      Thanks "Skunked Again!" I searched old posts and it sounds like my fiberglass boat might not be the best rig for Hinsdale. Still, would appreciate more advice/input. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't know about either of them, but welcome to the forum.
    • SkunkedAgain
      I destroyed my main propeller saving a neighbors dock section from ramming my other neighbor's dock. Definitely watch out for each other out there.   Raven77 - on the plus side of the high water, the floating swim platform that you sold me the other year was able to just float off of the rocks that I had beached it on. No need to do any heavy lifting this season! I'm glad that I tied it to a tree as usual.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A great 2022 MN Fishing Opener for most anglers.  The walleyes and saugers are hungry and the bite is on!  Good numbers of fish caught. Lots of big fish amongst the eaters.  Most anglers were vertically jigging in 6' - 20'.  Anchor up and jig over the side of the boat.  A nice mix of sizes.   The water is a bit dirty on the east portion of the south shore due to runoff from the rivers.  A bright jig with a minnow is the most productive. Reports were also good from the west portion of the south shore.  A bit cleaner water and equally good bite.  Lots of big fish mixed in with eaters.  Some anglers fishing on structure or on the edge of structure where available. On the Rainy River...   A lot of walleyes in the river as predicted, but the current is ripping and the water is a bit dirty.  Those who found slack water often found fish.  The norm was 6' - 15' with a bright jig and minnow.   Typical spots in the main channel were tough to fish due to high current.  The fast moving water helped to congregate fish.  Once you found them, there were normally good numbers. Sturgeon fishing is closed until July 1st.  July 1 - Sep 30 is a sturgeon keep season with one fish per calendar year 45" - 50" or over 75". Up at the NW Angle...  A great jig bite up at the Angle for the opener.  Most fish were caught in 6' - 20' adjacent shoreline structure, neckdown areas and on some shallow flats. Again, a jig and minnow was by far the most common method vertically jigged below the boat.  With cold water, a subtle presentation.  Both fatheads and frozen shiners worked well. Various ways to travel to the Angle. 1.  Drive through Canada to the Angle  (must be vaccinated, no covid test required) 2.  LOW Passenger Service (charter boat service across the lake avoiding customs)  3.  Lake Country Air.(fly from various Midwest locations to LOW and NW Angle) 4.  Take your own boat.  (Safety first, this is a 40 mile ride over big water)  
    • herm
      Greetings all! Our group (two boats/five guys) is looking at fishing/camping trip based at Hinsdale Island Campground or Wake 'Em Up Bay Campground in about 3 weeks.  Can anyone advise about Hinsdale, especially the shoreline for landing boats? (Is it sandy or rocky? Mostly protected?) We're also wondering how busy both campgrounds are? We've stayed at Wake Em Up,  but that was 6-8 years ago and it was mostly empty...just the host and 2-3 others. Nowadays, do either or both fill up on June weekends? (We'd probably arrive on a Saturday, stay most of the week.) Of course, we also welcome suggestions for walleye techniques, depths, etc. We tend to fish smallies during the day and chase eyes in the evening.  Thanks in advance for your help! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.